How do the Cadets right the ship?

On 7/31/2019 at 9:14 PM, Jake W. said:

old news. corps are back to playing 3-4 minute segments of source music again, which is no different than the 80s & 90s. BD is often the exception, but even they're playing an unaltered, full length ballad this year. your point does not apply anymore.

I agree that corps are playing longer segments of source music, but for the most part, the examples you provided a couple months ago only dealt with ballads. And even the example you provide here is a ballad. Ballads have gone mostly untouched since the 90s. The remainders of shows still have quite a bit of mashup, though not as much as a few years ago. 

On 7/31/2019 at 5:26 PM, George Dixon said:

after the season I’m hoping for design announcements that will bring in the recruits this fall and winter

Bocook returning (or Prime} and a top level drill writer are numbers one and two on my list - but I’m greedy lol 

Chris Johnston is listed along with Bobby Jones as drill writer on the corps webpage. Is that a recent change? Is Johnston just doing rewrites? 

(Asking as a phan who sees he has a Regiment background...)

19 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Chris Johnston is listed along with Bobby Jones as drill writer on the corps webpage. Is that a recent change? Is Johnston just doing rewrites? 

From what we've heard he took over during ST - some other help was also brought in

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Johnston was the Visual Caption head.  When Jones was ousted during Spring Training, Johnston stepped in to finish/fix the drill.  Jon Bilby was brought in a couple weeks ago to rewrite the closer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Johnston was the Visual Caption head.  When Jones was ousted during Spring Training, Johnston stepped in to finish/fix the drill.  Jon Bilby was brought in a couple weeks ago to rewrite the closer.

I didn't even know Jones was ousted. And I just learned that apparently a couple guys walked on the moon 50 years ago.

Curious - why fire a guy during spring training? Was he just not quick enough? Or difficult to work with? Why not let him fix what's not working? (Legit question, not leading) 

5 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I didn't even know Jones was ousted. And I just learned that apparently a couple guys walked on the moon 50 years ago.

Curious - why fire a guy during spring training? Was he just not quick enough? Or difficult to work with? Why not let him fix what's not working? (Legit question, not leading) 

not sure YEA has announced or will announced "the reason"

I'd chalk it up to "creative differences"

3 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I agree that corps are playing longer segments of source music, but for the most part, the examples you provided a couple months ago only dealt with ballads. And even the example you provide here is a ballad. Ballads have gone mostly untouched since the 90s. The remainders of shows still have quite a bit of mashup, though not as much as a few years ago. 

I do think you make a good point, kdaddy. While melodies are more flowing & source material is less diced up than 5-10 years ago, openers & closers are still commonly made up of at least two pieces. That’s a fair enough point to make. The poster i was responding to made the tired claim that Cadets couldn’t play full melodies anymore if they want to right the ship, which is of course the opposite of true. Thank you for the insight & correction!

On 7/22/2019 at 11:00 AM, MikeD said:

John and a lot of alums are very active with the corps, from my reading and experience. The alumni FB group has some of the victims of GH as members, and support for them is total and unwavering, as far as I can tell.

Honestly, there was support from a core of alumni, but it wasn’t total and unwavering.

There was also some victim blaming and a divide, because, of course, not everyone believed what really happened, especially at first.  It wasn’t pretty, I’ll tell you that.

Some survivors felt and still do feel alienated today, sorry, but that’s the truth.   

Edited by Spinning
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spinning said:

Honestly, there was support from a core of alumni, but it wasn’t total and unwavering.

There was also some victim blaming and a divide, because, of course, not everyone believed what really happened, especially at first.  It wasn’t pretty, I’ll tell you that.

Some survivors felt and still do feel alienated today, sorry, but that’s the truth.   

I was specifically speaking of John and folks on the alumni FB group. I'm sure there are other points of view spanning a wide gamut.