What would you think if...

5 hours ago, onionhead said:

OK.... I haven't read every page of this discussion, but I would like to throw in my two cents. I was at a competition earlier this year, and one Corps came out and just blew everyone away as far as volume, very impressive, but when I tried to focus in on what I was hearing, I didn't know where to look, because the sound was coming from speakers and not just the performers. At a later event, during the earlier Corps that didn't have the funding of the upper Corps, I noticed I could tell where the sounds were coming from, and although they didn't blow me out of my seat, the texture and tone were quite beautiful !! I believe the adjudicators should reward these performers and help solve the funding war.  

Yes -- it's the "Where's Waldo?" phenomenon as mentioned elsewhere on the Forum.

($1 to the kitty as I don't recall who said it first.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Is condescension is the only way you can respond to anyone with different tastes?

Jeepers... What on earth are you going on about?

2 minutes ago, onionhead said:

oh, that explains why a Corps that puts me to sleep every time is doing so well....... just like Nascar

LEFT TURN ($1 to Jeff Dunham and Bubba J).

Only stadium adjustment I ever heard was “ok we walked over to the stadium and stands are really low. So only pop up the horn angle to half way the usual at end of show”.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Oh brother.

I'm describing what I know from what I've done... Which isn't geographically (field position) far off from what they do now 

I marched G without electronics.

All I know is, they warmed us up... checked the intonation of the pit keyboards, then they put the machine in front of me... told me to move my slides to notch # whatever... and said "run it like before... good luck... don't do anything stupid"

"Don't screw up!"  Love it.

Just now, garfield said:

"Don't screw up!"  Love it.

The only advice left when it's all been said and time has run out.

It's good advice for the moment.

16 hours ago, mfrontz47 said:

Speaking as someone who’s played with in ear click tracks in pit bands when we have to sync up with a computer track, they’re not as helpful as you’d think, much easier to lock in to a group or conductor- I realize the numbers are bigger but I still can’t imagine why a corps would want each individual member to lock in to their own sense of a click track in ear. And I can’t imagine there wouldn’t be issues getting these alleged wireless metronomes to sync. 

THANK YOU!! Until you've had to try to groove to a click, you just won't understand that it's not as easy as people think.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Why does it need to be addressed in drum corps at all?

Thanks for getting right to my next follow up.  But don’t expect an answer. There’re both running from that one like it’s the plague.  Far too interested in how and not all in why.  

17 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Because it is addressed in every single other form of live performance, with very limited exception. 

Because the listening public is now conditioned to hear music in a specific way, whether or not they are able to articulate what that is or how it's created. 

Because it helps (in addition to the work of the music techs and member excellence, not in place of it) contribute to clarity of intent. 

Because it helps provide a more compelling and dazzling experience for the audience. 

Because they feel like it, and it's allowed by the rules. 

20 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The issue of amplification? Or the problems that it creates?

Amplification is addressed not because it needs to be... But because there is a want.

Same reason for doing drumcorps at all.  It's fun... People want to do it and watch it.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

The balance achieved today is absolutely stellar and light years ahead of what would be possible decades ago. Being able to balance the frequency spectrum to hear all parts of the ensemble, in every venue is a herculean feat. 

Indeed.  Have your great-grandchildren let my great-grandchildren know when that is achieved.

You realize it's possible to filter the signals to remove unwanted frequencies right? I'm sure each of the field mics has a noise gate and parametric EQ that's allowing through only what's intended.  

You realize that filters only attenuate unwanted frequencies, right?

As for what is intended... when a drumline approaches one of those shotguns-on-a-tripod to play a feature, and I hear that channel switch on and start blasting amplified battery sound over the speakers on beat 1 of said feature, I will bet that is what was intended.  Granted, mistakes are made sometimes.  But when the same corps does this at the same feature in five different performances, the intent is clear.