What would you think if...

58 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Does that mean the quality of large brass ensembles, which was surely a key element that people loved about drum corps for decades, was in fact bad?

IMO the quality of sound was the best it could be in every era. It doesn't mean that brass lines of the 60's were bad in the 60's....or those in the 70's, 80's and 90's were bad for the 70's, 80's and 90's. Improvements in every decade made the corps sound better and better within the context of their times. I loved corps like Blessed Sac, Garfield and St Lucy's in the 60's, but just a few years later brass lines from corp like Argonne, Santa Clara, Blue Devils and Anaheim were a huge leap forward. Moving even further, brass lines from corps like Spirit of Atlanta, Phantom Regiment and later Star of Indiana and the Cadets were yet another leap forward. 

A&E has changed the game...yet again. Just as some corps were good and some not so good in every era, some today are good and some less so in the sounds they produce. 

Drum corps always has to be looked at in the context of the times. As technology changes, corps should continue to adopt new elements...while marching mallets in the 70's (esp clanging bells) may sound odd today, back then they were state of the art, and they were a step on the way to the pit.

One of the great things to me is that the activity has always changed, since I saw my first show in 1963.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Just to throw it out there too, I was pretty critical of some pit mic'ing this year (especially early season PR.) As Jeff stated earlier, mic'ing a pit can go very well (Bluecoats '16,) or HORRIBLY wrong such as stated above with PR early. Live by the electonic doo-hickies, die by the electronic doo-hickies. 

But electronics failure even when spectacular doesn't seem to be punished by the judges.

Just now, MikeD said:

IMO the quality of sound was the best it could be in every era. It doesn't mean that brass lines of the 60's were bad in the 60's....or those in the 70's, 80's and 90's were bad for the 70's, 80's and 90's. Improvements in every decade made the corps sound better and better within the context of their times. I loved corps like Blessed Sac, Garfield and St Lucy's in the 60's, but just a few years later brass lines from corp like Argonne, Santa Clara, Blue Devils and Anaheim were a huge leap forward. Moving even further, brass lines from corps like Spirit of Atlanta, Phantom Regiment and later Star of Indiana and the Cadets were yet another leap forward. 

A&E has changed the game...yet again. Just as some corps were good and some not so good in every era, some today are good and some less so in the sounds they produce. 

Drum corps always has to be looked at in the context of the times. As technology changes, corps should continue to adopt new elements...while marching mallets in the 70's (esp clanging bells) may sound odd today, back then they were state of the art, and they were a step on the way to the pit.

One of the great things to me is that the activity has always changed, since I saw my first show in 1963.

Let me put it this way: what if a corps decided to be bold and daring and not mic any brass instruments. Would the judges accept that? Or would they be advising the corps to bring back the mics?

• Like 1

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Let me put it this way: what if a corps decided to be bold and daring and not mic any brass instruments. Would the judges accept that? Or would they be advising the corps to bring back the mics?

Can a brass line that is not micced generate a quality of sound equal to one that is being micced and adjusted? Judges judge the sound produced. If a brass line using miccs sounds better due to the electronic elements Marimba has been talking about, that line should be rewarded. It is not HOW the sound is produced that matters; it is WHAT sound is produced, On the other side, a brass line that uses miccs poorly to create their sound should score lower, based on the sound that is being evaluated. If a brass line does sound as good unmicced as one that is micced, they should be on a par, score-wise. 

The tools are used to generate the sound, which is all a brass judge should be concerned about evaluating.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

But electronics failure even when spectacular doesn't seem to be punished by the judges.

Very true. Unfortunately, judging in DCI has been as slow to change with the times as some of their policies have been.

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I asked a similar question about props. I don't recall getting too much feedback in response.

Just now, MikeD said:

Can a brass line that is not micced generate a quality of sound equal to one that is being micced and adjusted? Judges judge the sound produced. If a brass line using miccs sounds better due to the electronic elements Marimba has been talking about, that line should be rewarded. It is not HOW the sound is produced that matters; it is WHAT sound is produced, On the other side, a brass line that uses miccs poorly to create their sound should score lower, based on the sound that is being evaluated. If a brass line does sound as good unmicced as one that is micced, they should be on a par, score-wise. 

The tools are used to generate the sound, which is all a brass judge should be concerned about evaluating.

I think so, yes. Because much of the time the "adjusted" sound is not good.

And just so I don't misunderstand you: the brass judges are behind the speakers and thus are not evaluating the overall sound quality -- that's what you're saying, right?

11 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As I have noted before... failures of any sort that are not systemic issues are rarely 'punished'.  Like a fall that causes multiple others or a lost piece of equipment in the rain or wind... or a fracked note on a solo... Or an aired-out high note.  Judges aren't waiting to drop the axe on mishaps of any sort.

• Like 1

Just now, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I asked a similar question about props. I don't recall getting too much feedback in response.

Louisiana Stars didn't have props last night and went up one position from their previous ranking. But I have no idea whether the judges have been telling them that their show was lacking a certain something.

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

YES , one can choose not to use props BUT if one does, and to what degree , if a corps puts it out on the field and makes it part of a program it is judged

Edited by GUARDLING