U of Florida Band Director assaulted for trying to prevent someone from breaking ranks.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yep and up in the “safer” northeast we were getting eggs and such thrown at us during night Halloween parades. Lucky us two of the three parades were in our sister/rival schools area. That was 40+ years back so cringe what goes on now (if the band even goes there anymore). 

You're not the only one that had to deal with the eggs. It got to the point we had to ring the band with 8 band parents. That and to stop the coins chucked at us... and the previously mentioned cigarette butts pressed on necks... Some folks don't realize what kind of crap goes on and don't get it.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BigW said:

You're not the only one that had to deal with the eggs. It got to the point we had to ring the band with 8 band parents. That and to stop the coins chucked at us... and the previously mentioned cigarette butts pressed on necks... Some folks don't realize what kind of crap goes on and don't get it.

No one wanted to march next to our sousaphones as they got it the worse until they got bell covers. Somehow whole egg down the horn seemed to be the goal. We had very large friends of band members siblings with us and they would chase. Never caught just a scary deterrent.

legend was set of keys that ended up in a sousaphone. Can only hope some idiot had egg in one hand and keys in the other. And then threw with the wrong hand.

And backing you up on the DCP moniker as you related that to me years ago...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 minutes ago, BigW said:

I'm guessing your name is a description of your dysfuctional brain waves as well. And no it's not. Let me type slowly and in bold face. 

Ever. See. A Westshoremen. Logo.? You. obviously.  can. spell. Take. a. look. at. it.

Ever. see. the. Movie. "It's. A. Mad. Mad.Mad. Mad. World.? You. might. get. the. reference. if. you. did. 

I'll reiterate something I told someone else. Our band was harassed repeatedly. Cigarette butts in member's necks. Coins and eggs thrown at us at parades. Certain football games, uniformed security had to be brought in to stop physical threats made against us. Tell you what. We gave back what we took when we got our chances. If you think that's bad, have someone put the hot end of a ciggy butt on your neck and stand there at attention for 30 seconds. Maybe it might change your perspective. If the neurons in your brain fire fast enough to realize wha'ts happening.

All of my posts had to do with rank breakers and not being physically assaulted. Again please read with comprehension before responding. Defending oneself from assault is very different than initiating a physical confrontation because someone that is uninformed attempts to break ranks. Try to separate those two.

Sounds like you have band PTSD....seek professional help now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

All of my posts had to do with rank breakers and not being physically assaulted. Again please read with comprehension before responding. Defending oneself from assault is very different than initiating a physical confrontation because someone that is uninformed attempts to break ranks. Try to separate those two.

Obnoxious. Idiotic. Rude. And you expect me to show you respect in return. Spazz for certain. Rank breaking is in essence the same thing as any of these issues. Any of them. Period.  Okay? Bust through a line, throw the egg, chuck keys down a tuba bell, it's the same. Period. Get it, or are you that much of a spazz?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, BigW said:

Okay, clown. He stood there deliberately not moving for over 30 seconds as we approached. he could have moved.. He wanted us to move around him. He kept standing in front of the block as it approached. He had it coming. Yeah, our whole band was pretty amused at dealing with it. You wanted the band parents to goon the kid instead? That's what also would have happened.

We had people stick cigarette butts on member's necks during this period. We had taunts and outright threats to members at games. We had people throwing coins and eggs at us in parades. Okies? We didn't take kindly to it, and we got back at these clowns when we could.

You a U-Miami fan too? Or did you live in a sheltered bubble all of your life where people didn't act like grade A jerks to you? Hmmm? There comes a time when one takes only so much, and obviously you've never been there.

Or you know...you could have just gone around him but I’m sure elbowing a kid was the better option!   Bring back the good old days!

• Like 1

This short message from Tom Jones should alter the mood around here. 

Love is in the air everywhere I look around. Love is in the air every sight and every sound. - Tom Jones

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rmurrey74 said:

Wow, you must be proud for elbowing that kid for not moving away from a marching band!!  

Funny, hmm? Yeah, let me throw coins at you and you can laugh all you want, clown. Hee hee hahhah. Or are you one of those clowns that chuck the stuff, cut through lines, and generally bully people? it would make sense.

Edited by BigW
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

Or you know...you could have just gone around him but I’m sure elbowing a kid was the better option!   Bring back the good old days!

After 4 years of repeated incidents where our unit was harassed... we'd had enough in our Senior class.. Period. A lot of it stopped after that clown got bounced through the parade block. Wonder why?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

This short message from Tom Jones should alter the mood around here. 

Love is in the air everywhere I look around. Love is in the air every sight and every sound. - Tom Jones

Oh, I feel the love. Thanks, Tom. Does your security let people throw stuff at you and shove you around and cut in front of you?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

What if I told you the “rank breaker” was physically assaulting the band members on the way through. What’s the correct response to that scenario?  Because according to the affidavit I read, that’s what happened. No wonder the band director tried to stop it.