U of Florida Band Director assaulted for trying to prevent someone from breaking ranks.

6 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

nah. He was being stupid. Many people here thought at the time he was lucky to not get a foot to the chops laying there like that.

think it was 2008? the samurai year where the cavies were wandering around in block committing seppuku on themselves during retreat.

Gosh I love the Cavies 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

nah. He was being stupid. Many people here thought at the time he was lucky to not get a foot to the chops laying there like that.

think it was 2008? the samurai year where the cavies were wandering around in block committing seppuku on themselves during retreat.

In Bloomington. I had probably skedaddled before retreat. 

11 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I will be leaving until the spring soon enough too. I usually stick around until the end of August/mid September and then surface back around Late may/early June 

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Gosh I love the Cavies 

Bless your heart. 

I have one question:

If it had been the football team (either one) moving (they obviously don't march) back to their locker room, and a drunken fan of the opposite team plowed "through the ranks" with obvious disdain, would she have made it through without a player or coach attempting to stop him/her?

A band, like a football team, is a cohesive unit and common courtesy, regardless of one's team affiliation, dictates respect to the units from the opposing school.

The infiltrator should have been thrown to the ground, pummelled with instruments, mallets, and sticks then stomped on by every member able until the band had passed.  That would have made a better story than another wimpy band director gets pummeled by a 98-pound weakling... (and probably caused more legal fireworks, too).

The disrespect for "the band" is so old, and so tiring.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

From the Orlando Sentinel -

”Dr. Watkins described the incident as an unknown female attempted to push her way through the marching band from the back of the column, battering several of the band members as she went.”

But the snowflakes don't deserve to be taught some respect?  Because it's all about them.  Their parents and teachers failed them.

I say throw them bodily out of the ranks.

33 minutes ago, garfield said:

But the snowflakes don't deserve to be taught some respect?  Because it's all about them.  Their parents and teachers failed them.

I say throw them bodily out of the ranks.

In this case, it’s most likely not the teachers. Chances are the teachers who once taught the girl are saying she hasn’t changed, and when corrected Mom and Dad were all to ready to defend her no matter what.

• Haha 2

Since people refuse to actually read what I've written with any semblance of comprehension I'll restate it agin.

If someone that is oblivious that breaking ranks is even a thing and attempts to walk through a simple "please wait or walk around" usually works. If they continue it isn't worth getting into a physical altercation over.

If someone is being physical and belligerent when walking through and assaulting members then defending oneself and the group is ok.

Seeing the reaction by the old pharts brigade I can see exactly how and why the activity sunk into issues with member miss-treatment. The level of faux machoism and fake tough guy attitudes were pervasive back in the day to the detriment of the wellbeing of the members. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Since people refuse to actually read what I've written with any semblance of comprehension I'll restate it agin.

If someone that is oblivious that breaking ranks is even a thing and attempts to walk through a simple "please wait or walk around" usually works. If they continue it isn't worth getting into a physical altercation over.

If someone is being physical and belligerent when walking through and assaulting members then defending oneself and the group is ok.

Seeing the reaction by the old pharts brigade I can see exactly how and why the activity sunk into issues with member miss-treatment. The level of faux machoism and fake tough guy attitudes were pervasive back in the day to the detriment of the wellbeing of the members. 

Pfft.  Bwaaahhhaaaa!

All I can do is laugh.

OK, young whipper-snapper.  

• Haha 1