2020 Rules Proposals

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

maybe they put it out there to squash attempts for a while. thats happened before. and entering into a circuit wide agreement with one supplier could cause serious issues for corps with existing contracts with other companiesas

Competition can be a good thing... work with some software that is sole source. When you’re the only one selling you can set you own price. And keep jacking that price with each new contract 

25 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Perhaps you know some specifics but is it really more expensive to field a Winds group than it is to field a Percussion or Guard?

The Winds division is only in its 5th(??) year,  Early adopters seem to have a great experience. The Cost of getting a group to Ohio every year is expensive but yet one of the hotbeds for Winds activity is South Florida and they get themselves to Ohio every year. And comparing the cost of getting a WGI Winds to Ohio has got to pale in comparison to what it takes for an OC Corps to operate for their 2-3 week tour. With time and proper marketing from WGI this area will grow.

I think in the years to come, this area will truly see some growth. Because to me I see Rhythm X Winds a helluva lot more than I see the OC Gold Medalist throughout the year. 

Like I said in an earlier post, I feel whoever brings indoor Marching to the Summertime will be the one who survives into the future. 

i think winds is great as winds, and not as dci. i've judged them in my local circuit.

but cost. its moving a small marching band. for independents, its already tough finding space to rehease for guard and percussion, so add them. then you need equipment...and fewer schools are willing to lend stuff out. food. housing. insurance travel. uniforms. success on the national level aint cheap, and even on the local levels too

1 hour ago, wolfgang said:

Are you suggesting that the core essence of what the activity is and has always been (brass and percussion) be changed for the benefit of one corporation?

Fwiw, one of my interests aside from pageantry is motorsports. Several orgs from a gamut of motorsports series have had deals with companies to be the exclusive supplier of this or that product or component.

While the benefits of cost control are usually touted, funny thing is the costs in these deals usually go up ( for the competitor).

SCCA? IMSA? I am a fan of motorsports as well. Namely F1. Not as competitor but as fan.

And my position is that DCI is the pinnacle of the Marching Arts. It is a true exercise where you give the activity you love 2-3 months of your life where your eat, breathe, sleep Drum corps. Something that simply cannot be replicated in other environments. (BOA,WGI, Local HS Bands) At every other activity within the marching arts there is an outlet and inclusion for WW in that activity. It is an imbalance that at the top of the activity, The WW instruments are banned.

It's an imbalance that I truly thought would be corrected on Saturday but the proposal failed for a myriad of reasons.

In F1, there are certain parts that are supplied by an FIA Mandated company and no further development is allowed in that part. In the end it reduces cost because the teams won't spend money on developing their own version of the same part.

In my scenario Yamaha Steps up to supply the corps with all of the WW instruments they need. If the average corps uses 4 WW instruments for solo/ soli sections then you'd have a total of 88 Instruments for all of WC or about the same number of brass instruments in one WC corps. Yamaha can supply the Traveling Horn Doctor or alternatives will all the spares parts that they will need to ensure the instruments can make it through a season. If you add in the OC Corps at the same average it'll be another 40 instruments give or take.

The Marketing slogan "Yamaha the official Supplier of Woodwinds Instruments for DCI" is worth much more than the cost of 130 Instruments a year. If then someone at Yamaha smartens up and uses this opportunity to R&D some new materials that would make WW instruments more durable and market that to the hundreds of thousands of Band Directors across the country they would sell these new line of instruments across the country.

2 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Thank you for the clarity.

And yes its great that there is a democratic process to these rules and how they are discussed and voted on.

It still seems like a costly exercise. For the Chairman of the BOD of DCI to put this proposal forward they had to think that it would be passed. They mentioned the RSTF voted internally to bring this measure forward. Would the RSTF not test the waters with the Corps Directors first to see if it has enough support to pass? Why go through all of this negative press only to have the measure fail.

Why have voting if the only result is "yes"?  Inevitably, some proposals are going to get "no" votes.

I tried to find information on the RSTF but could not find any. Who is on that panel? Are there any direct active representatives from the Corps? I found an article from 2011 that says that Micheal Cesario is on that Panel but not sure if he's still involved, It came out that David Glasgow is on that panel, I recognize his name as the Corps Director of Bluecoats, but recently read he is only and Executive advisor now. They mentioned Judges are also on that panel.

You have the wrong task force.  According to Kathy Black in her interview with Dan Potter, it was the New Revenue Task Force that came up with this idea.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i think winds is great as winds, and not as dci. i've judged them in my local circuit.

but cost. its moving a small marching band. for independents, its already tough finding space to rehease for guard and percussion, so add them. then you need equipment...and fewer schools are willing to lend stuff out. food. housing. insurance travel. uniforms. success on the national level aint cheap, and even on the local levels too

Rhythm X Winds seems to have the collaboration with Bluecoats and Rhythm X. Perhaps it is this involvement that is the reasoning for Bluecoats to want AI to go through.

Many corps have in the past fielded their own Guards and or Percussion groups.

So far Bluecoats, Crossmen and Cavaliers have had affiliations with WGI Winds groups, I'd love to see that increase in the future as those groups truly have the infrastructure to succeed. 

22 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

In my scenario Yamaha Steps up to supply the corps with all of the WW instruments they need. If the average corps uses 4 WW instruments for solo/ soli sections then you'd have a total of 88 Instruments for all of WC or about the same number of brass instruments in one WC corps. Yamaha can supply the Traveling Horn Doctor or alternatives will all the spares parts that they will need to ensure the instruments can make it through a season. If you add in the OC Corps at the same average it'll be another 40 instruments give or take.

The Marketing slogan "Yamaha the official Supplier of Woodwinds Instruments for DCI" is worth much more than the cost of 130 Instruments a year. If then someone at Yamaha smartens up and uses this opportunity to R&D some new materials that would make WW instruments more durable and market that to the hundreds of thousands of Band Directors across the country they would sell these new line of instruments across the country.

Do you work for Yamaha?

5 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Do you work for Yamaha?

No but I do know a couple of Reps maybe I should them my ideas. Its an idea that could be worth millions for Yamaha,

1 minute ago, Glenn426 said:

No but I do know a couple of Reps maybe I should them my ideas. Its an idea that could be worth millions for Yamaha,

Then you should consider becoming a Yamaha endorsing artist.  Why not get the commission you deserve for your promotional work here?

Better yet, maybe you could get authorization for Yamaha to sign a letter of intent for the supply/service/support ideas you describe here.  It would make for a stronger rule change proposal next time if it had that letter of intent attached.

9 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Then you should consider becoming a Yamaha endorsing artist.  Why not get the commission you deserve for your promotional work here?

Better yet, maybe you could get authorization for Yamaha to sign a letter of intent for the supply/service/support ideas you describe here.  It would make for a stronger rule change proposal next time if it had that letter of intent attached.

I can't tell if you are being flippant of my enthusiasm. 😑 But there are some sound business ideas that should've and could've been introduced with this proposal and I truly think its an opportunity missed.

3 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

With The RSTF and DCI having egg on their face now, lets hope they get serious about their proposals and come with solutions included in the proposal that would solve all financial and logistical concerns with the instruments and only leave the trepidation of "Legacy" in the way of a sound business idea. 

What you interpret as egg on their face I interpret as sound decision making. And what you see as trepidation of Legacy, many see as retention of Identity. 

It all depends on your point of view on the matter.