Coronavirus

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

And, apparently, the most beautiful hallucinogens.  

How interesting would it be if that turned out to be the cure?

AP:  In unexpected turn of events, the CDC is now urging all citizens to turn on, tune in, and drop out.  

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Saw that too and hope this is the start of the beginning of the end (think I have that quote right). Let us also hope this virus doesn’t mutate and start over again. Ever since I read a book on the 1918 pandemic it is on my mind.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

How interesting would it be if that turned out to be the cure?

AP:  In unexpected turn of events, the CDC is now urging all citizens to turn on, tune in, and drop out.  

And don’t trust anyone over 30... 😜

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

CDC Data as of 29 Feb says in the US of A there have been 34,000,000 cases of influenza this (2019-20) season, 350,000 hospitalizations, and 20,000 deaths.  

But, as a society, we are used to that 'background noise (sort of like the thunderous goo from the synthesizers)'.

When the current Gov. of New York and Pres. of US are saying the same thing (keep calm - this is not the ebola virus), maybe we should listen?

Using those figures, the fatality rate for this year's influenza has only been 0.06%, which is below the usual death rate for seasonal influenza.

The current numbers from China, Iran, and Italy are painting a much more frightening picture. For the age group 70-79 the calculated fatality rate for COVID-19 is 9.8%. For ages 80+ it is 18.0%. Thankfully, the death rate for children and infants is almost zero. But this particular coronavirus is proving exceptionally lethal to the elderly. There are 50 million Americans aged 65 and over. If just 1% of them contract coronavirus we are looking at ~50,000 deaths. This will largely be in addition to, not instead of, influenza deaths. The fatality rates will come down as humanity gets better at identifying the disease and flagging asymptomatic carriers, but it will still be shockingly high for some age groups.

Plus, there is a definite (and justified) fear of the unknown at play. Influenza requires larger water droplets to transmit. Thus, flu can be spread by the large water droplets in coughs or sneezes, but not the smaller water droplets in breath/exhalation. Does COVID require large water droplets, too? We don't know yet. How, exactly, virulent is COVID? We don't know yet. How long does the COVID virus survive on surfaces like doorknobs and tables? We don't know yet. We do know which drugs treat influenza-caused pneumonia the best. Will these drugs be as effective against COVID-pneumonia? We don't know yet. Will the processes and procedures in our healthcare system that are already in place for influenza be as effective against COVID? We just don't know.

The cancellation of public events and current operational lockdowns occurring across societies right now are certainly very cautious, but also prudent. The goal is to SLOW the spread of the disease as much as possible, to prevent healthcare systems from getting overwhelmed (nurses and doctors will get sick, too, and will be forced to avoid work, potentially stressing a healthcare system at the worst possible time). There is a massive difference in the survivability of an epidemic when 10 million people are infected over an eight month span as opposed to 10 million people getting infected across six weeks.

This will be a marathon, not a sprint. Don't panic, but be concerned, and take the necessary precautions.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

Not to be that guy when you’re being that guy, but wouldn’t it depend on the base and the units used?  

Yes. Yes it would. In the vernacular “logarithmic” refers to “base 10”. Whereas, for example, “natural log” is “base e” where “e” is  approximately 2.72.  So because he said “logarithmically” I assumed he meant accelerating by factors of 10. But you’re right - it’s risky to assume. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Saw that too and hope this is the start of the beginning of the end (think I have that quote right). Let us also hope this virus doesn’t mutate and start over again. Ever since I read a book on the 1918 pandemic it is on my mind.

According an epidemiologist I heard on the radio,there will most like be some recurrence of the virus next fall/winter.

That's what has happened with similar virus strains in the past.

He also anticipates that,by then,a vaccine will be available.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

The cancellation of public events and current operational lockdowns occurring across societies right now are certainly very cautious, but also prudent. The goal is to SLOW the spread of the disease as much as possible, to prevent healthcare systems from getting overwhelmed (nurses and doctors will get sick, too, and will be forced to avoid work, potentially stressing a healthcare system at the worst possible time). There is a massive difference in the survivability of an epidemic when 10 million people are infected over an eight month span as opposed to 10 million people getting infected across six weeks.

Your reasoning is logical and therefor must be met with public scorn from certain individuals. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Let us also hope this virus doesn’t mutate and start over again. Ever since I read a book on the 1918 pandemic it is on my mind.

You are clearly blowing this out of proportion.  None of us have loved ones with compromised immune systems and the elderly do not matter because after all, it's almost over anyways...