Encouragement Thread - If you need support let’s help

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

Because James Taylor would probably think the show is about him.

Or Mick Jagger... hey I hear Anticipation and I think of that ketchup commercial which I hated...

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Agreed with the caveat that popular outdoor spaces should be carefully monitored to make sure the crowds don't get too big -- and that social distancing needs to be carefully practiced in confined spaces at these areas, like restrooms.

Yes.  Shutting it all down just punishes the 99+% who are following guidelines, while making no effort to teach those few who missed the memo.

12 minutes ago, skevinp said:

no

well sorry if I see it I will say it IMO needs to be said. There's lots of it going around out there. Here has been ok  BUT the subject at hand involves much more than DCP but does affect all of us

Edited by GUARDLING

8 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes.  Shutting it all down just punishes the 99+% who are following guidelines, while making no effort to teach those few who missed the memo.

Hmmm which brings up the question: should we open up and have penalties $$$ or otherwise for people who don’t follow guidelines to protect the 99%? My thinking is leaning more that way. 

edit: also includes plants that don’t provide PPE for workers who have to work side by side. Thinking of the meat processing plants that have been hit. Including one about an hour from me.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

How many states are in “catch up mode” in counting cases that were not counted before because authorities were not sure? PA did this about 10 days ago and we spiked a few hundred from days before. This went on for a few days.

Oh, there is so much of that, there is little point in trying to draw any conclusions from numbers anymore.

If case counts go up, is that the virus spreading?  Or is testing spreading?

First we counted deaths from C-19, then deaths with C-19... now deaths during C-19.  Hospitals are paid more for COVID-19 claims, so when in doubt, fill it out.

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

Again responding to the post Jim made. Unfortunately that small minuscule segment of the population gets the attention and sadly backed up by those who believe benefits themselves

Personally, I think it gets attention largely because sadly many people have an interest in portraying it as representative of a much larger segment of the population they wish to discredit.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Or Mick Jagger... hey I hear Anticipation and I think of that ketchup commercial which I hated...

This seems especially prevalent since you just pondered how many states are in “catch up” mode.

• Haha 4

Just now, skevinp said:

This seems especially prevalent since you just pondered how many states are in “catch up” mode.

Need an “ouch” button.... 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

When the disease affects different age groups so differently, the one-size-fits-all approach seems very unnecessary to me. I have two immediate family members in the medical profession. One a nurse working with Covid patients. We are on the front lines. I am not being flippant about this. When zero percent (per the local media, not making this up) of the population under the age of 40 in my state (WI) have died of Covid, and when the curve is flattened, it is time, at a minimum, to send them back to work. Oh, and the other kid in the medical field?  He was laid off a week ago because “no elective procedures” mandate has emptied his office. This seems insane. 

But suppose you send everyone under 40 back to work. Do their employers even want them right now? Earlier today, I read an interview with the owner of a restaurant in a state that just allowed some reopening. The owner expected a 90% drop on the first weekend relative to their regular business. They actually had a 99%+ drop. A total of just two customers on the first day.

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Hmmm which brings up the question: should we open up and have penalties $$$ or otherwise for people who don’t follow guidelines to protect the 99%? My thinking is leaning more that way. 

Yes. And there are guidelines for what benchmarks should be reached in order for each state to open up to a given point. They were put out by the federal government just a couple weeks ago: decline in cases over two weeks, X amount of testing done every day, and so on.