Time for DCI to cancel season?

26 minutes ago, Continental said:

I suspect it's because the DCP rules won't let them argue about politics so numbers are a substitute.

Is there an equivalent for "Godwin's Law" with regards to politics?  "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving politics increases...."

Is that some kind of reverse Algebraic theory? Axioms of variables & quantifiers reversed? 😎  

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Good morning!  Serious question: can there be a thread strictly dedicated to US politics to be used for DCP members to vent or is that an overall policy for all subject matter?  I've read the forum for years but I'm fairly new to posting.  Could be a great online therapy session for members? Thanks!

PS:  I should have said "Long time listener, first time caller".  

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Maybe if responsible journalism were a possibility, that could be achieved.  (I know, another sentence that became moot halfway through.)

And no, this is not even a political reference.  The nature of contemporary news is sensationalism at the expense of informing.  "2.2 million Americans will reportedly die!  More after the commercial break."  And in the single minute they finally spend expanding on the story, maybe they mention that would only happen "if we did nothing".  Or maybe they leave that detail out.

Excessive fear-mongering leads to misunderstandings like the paradox to which you allude.

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those who promote the pandamonium generally don't understand or admit that they could possibly or probably be responsible for the pandamonium.

"Why are you running?"

"Because that guy back there said it's coming and we should be running!"

"What's coming?"

"I don't know.  He just said "RUN!"

In some circles this is known as yelling fire in a crowded theater (without the locked doors and the mad rush that usually kills as many or more than the original problem).  We can be held responsible for THAT, but not THIS?

1 hour ago, dans said:

nytimes makes great toilet paper...so it does have some value

And, of course, the parrot is completely up to date on what they say.  But, because he reads it by standing on that perch on the left instead of that perch on the right, he thinks the virus has already been here and is now getting better.

Amazing how smart my parrot is.  Thanks NYT!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

The local news does it too.

Massive pile up on local road yes....

pandering to one side or the other no... 

And surprise, surprise found out thru local news there actually ARE things going on besides the virus. And not just the weather😜

Edited by JimF-LowBari

18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Massive pile up on local road yes....

pandering to one side or the other no... 

And surprise, surprise found out thru local news there actually ARE things going on besides the virus. And not just the weather😜

Lyle Waggoner from the Carol Burnett show passed away.  Almost completely missed in the news.