Mr. Acheson--it's time.

13 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I thought corps were barely breaking even each year or even losing money. So, logically, cancelling the season would be a financial help wouldn’t it?

There are basic costs that have to be covered, like rent.

The only thing we'll know in "X" weeks from today is that more people are sick.  There will not be any clarity on anything else.

33 minutes ago, troopers1 said:

The only thing we'll know in "X" weeks from today is that more people are sick.  There will not be any clarity on anything else.

Well, then isn't 'X' the big issue then?

And we know how many weeks are demonstrated in Italy.  And we don't have planeloads of Wuhan residents flying into the fashion district of NYC, and we're a hundred times bigger than Italy and we have LOTS more space between us (I've been there each of the last 4 years and the crowds are shocking during the summer).

Yes, 'X' is the big issue.  EDIT: My hunch is that our headline news will not be C-19 by July 1st.

(Where are the big cubes when I need them?)

Edited by garfield

Realistically, the question is "when will DCI know that it's safe to put kids on the road this summer, with no or next to no chance that any member of any corps will end up testing positive for the virus?"

Since the answer is "there's no way to know", that tells you where this season is headed. The corps, increasingly, don't want to take that risk, and that, added on to the uncertainties of housing for the summer even if they DID go on tour, makes it so unlikely that a tour can happen that it's starting to feel that DCI is living in a state of denial more than hope, which is never a good spot to be in for a business.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, garfield said:

And we know how many weeks are demonstrated in Italy.  And we don't have planeloads of Wuhan residents flying into the fashion district of NYC, and we're a hundred times bigger than Italy and we have LOTS more space between us (I've been there each of the last 4 years and the crowds are shocking during the summer).

Yes, 'X' is the big issue.

What do plane loads of Wuhan residents flying in have anything to do with it when the virus is already here? The fact that we have more space between us than in Italy just means the virus will spread slower. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, garfield said:

Yes, 'X' is the big issue.

Here's an idea of "X".  https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/2020/03/18/u-s-coronavirus-growth-rates-show-many-states-could-close-behind-new-york/5072663002/ 

Here's an impact of different "X" scenarios on our ability to hospitalize and care for people.

https://projects.propublica.org/graphics/covid-hospitals

Edited by troopers1

44 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Staff, phone, credit card, employee gas, on and on.  The list is long and, without some relief, could easily break a corps.

47 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

and salaries  but I suppose you could furlough staff etc