If Current DCI Model Gets Cut Back...

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Been wondering how long would DCP continue to exist if there were no more drum corps and everything here was a "historical" forum?

It’s hanging on by a thread as it is. 

58 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Then, if you want to create a drug, you're talking an even longer time frame and higher RD costs.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_development

I get to the point of “crisis overload”.  Body counts.   Bacteria resistant to all drugs. Climate change. We’re all doomed. Just read the headlines. Every bit of positive news includes a “BUT...”. but testing might not be 100 percent accurate. But it might flare up again. But a vaccine might not be 100 percent effective. But treatment might have side effects. Bad news is what the media thrives on.  If it bleeds it leads. 
Life is too short. I’m checking out of the media circus. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

So, I’ll say it... we still have a ways to go, but as of this moment 2021 looks improbable. I think it’s most likely 2022 before we have a realistic chance of getting back on the field. If that’s the case, I don’t see how many of these organizations, including DCI can survive with little to no revenue. There is a very good possibility that DCI will return in a much revamped fashion or as a regional activity. But I truly feel that we might have seen the last of the  National touring model for quite sometime. I hope I’m wrong. 

I find the prospect of a smaller, more regionally focused touring model to be very appealing. Imagine the anticipation and excitement of a model where all the corps come together only at finals week. As it exists today, you are pretty well assured of knowing who the champion will be before quarterfinals even starts. I find that boring. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

"99+%" comes from my own observations.  Or to use your words - as one of the 99+%, I am well aware of the effects this disease is having on our social distancing behaviors.  I live it. 

Honestly, people who could not even form a checkout line two months ago now demonstrate their mastery of every "slow the spread" recommendation and then some.  Voluntarily.

If I learn that there are 3.3 million people in America doing the exact opposite of every single recommended behavior (or 33 million defying 10% of the measures, etc.), that will change my outlook.  Until then, I do not think it is overreaching to say 99+%.

Anecdotal evidence from your personal small world view is not evidence enough to pull out statistics like that. People are defying the social distancing orders every day. The virus can travel a distance of 13 feet, and yet people can't even maintain a 6 foot distance from each other. Don't believe me? Go to a store like Costco where you will find people 3-4 feet within each other to grab groceries. My dad called me up yesterday and was telling me someone even bumped him yesterday while he was on a walk outside! 

If you don't have the stats, don't make the claim. There's enough misinformation out there. 

• Thanks 4

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yeah, this does seem to have been a mistake. It would have been better had authorities recommended homemade masks from the start, emphasizing that they probably have some efficacy but that proper masks were scarce and desparately needed for health care workers.

Hadn't heard about North Dakota, but in South Dakota, they're shaping up to have a big outbreak in Sioux Falls. It appears that more than 500 workers in a pork-processing plant that employs about 4,000 have tested positive. The plant has been shut down, but people there are still able to gather and mingle.

Definitely. It was a large oversight, many of our friends in the east (South Korea in particular) are used to using masks on a daily basis as it is the culture there. That in combination with a more robust testing system (and smaller population) has allowed SK to have some of the lowest Coronavirus #s of any developed country.

Even without hard-nosed evidence from a clinical study, you can deduce that utilizing a mask or any sort of barrier would help reduce the spread of a virus that spreads via aerosols. Oh well, I am glad they changed their minds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Definitely. It was a large oversight, many of our friends in the east (South Korea in particular) are used to using masks on a daily basis as it is the culture there.

I think it's going to become the norm here in NA as well.   I'm in week 5 of lockdown.  Every outing to the grocery store with a mask is becoming natural. 

I also hope that the "must work" attitude changes.  

I once would not stop working if I felt ill.  Now I hope that employers clearly understand that sick is the time to not be around others.  Perhaps the new, expanded "working from home" reality allows people to deal with that. 

Edited by Continental

17 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Definitely. It was a large oversight, many of our friends in the east (South Korea in particular) are used to using masks on a daily basis as it is the culture there. That in combination with a more robust testing system (and smaller population) has allowed SK to have some of the lowest Coronavirus #s of any developed country.

Even without hard-nosed evidence from a clinical study, you can deduce that utilizing a mask or any sort of barrier would help reduce the spread of a virus that spreads via aerosols. Oh well, I am glad they changed their minds. 

I don't envy your profession.  I know you are being trained to deal with the reality, yet you have to deal with an open mouth in almost every procedure.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It was a large oversight, many of our friends in the east (South Korea in particular) are used to using masks on a daily basis as it is the culture there. 

How much does the bad air coming over from China have to do with this?  

Edited by Ghost

8 minutes ago, Continental said:

I think it's going to become the norm here in NA as well.   I'm in week 5 of lockdown.  Every outing to the grocery store with a mask is becoming natural. 

I also hope that the "must work" attitude changes.  

I once would not stop working if I felt ill.  Now I hope that employers clearly understand that sick is the time to not be around others.  Perhaps the new, expanded "working from home" reality allows people to deal with that. 

The reality is that other countries have much more robust systems (not gonna get into the politics of it) that allow employees in their country to receive much better benefits than in the USA (guaranteed paid paternity/maternity leave, sick days AND vacation days, better work hours, etc). 

The lack of these type of benefits being the norm for employees here in the USA has led to the "must work" attitude. 

I agree, the new "work from home" push will definitely help, but there are still many workers who are in occupations where work from home simply is not an option. Many of them have been laid off. I feel for them, truly, as they are the backbone of this country. However, the mindset we should be following is to prioritize the greater good rather than that of a few, as grim as that might sound. 

• Thanks 2