If Current DCI Model Gets Cut Back...

42 minutes ago, Ghost said:

How much does the bad air coming over from China have to do with this?  

Not much, or so I've heard. It's because many Asian countries had to deal with the SARS outbreak. So they got in the habit of wearing masks in public (and particularly in crowded) places.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Yup, even our dear friend Garfield posted this very irresponsible post less than a month ago. Just terrible misinformation.

LIeIxm2.png

Well in Garfields defense it was an estimate of return to normal that did not pan out. One I mentioned was one of those “we’re better (cleaner) so don’t worry about it”.

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Anecdotal evidence from your personal small world view is not evidence enough to pull out statistics like that. People are defying the social distancing orders every day. The virus can travel a distance of 13 feet, and yet people can't even maintain a 6 foot distance from each other. Don't believe me? Go to a store like Costco where you will find people 3-4 feet within each other to grab groceries. My dad called me up yesterday and was telling me someone even bumped him yesterday while he was on a walk outside! 

If you don't have the stats, don't make the claim. There's enough misinformation out there. 

To be fair, what you're offering here, useful as it is, is also anecdotal evidence.

(On the other hand, in support of your argument, yesterday a study (from Harvard, I think) found that droplets can travel up to 16 feet. Even more reason for wearing masks and washing hands. Here's something amusing I heard someone say today, although I think they meant it seriously: "This is COVID-19, not COVID-1". That was by way of arguing that the experts ought to have their facts straight by now. And not the first time I've heard something like that. So perhaps I should note that the 19 means not that there were 18 earlier versions but that it was identified in 2019.)

If we treat cixelsyd's "99%" as his personal sense of how people are responding relative to what might have been expected, then I think you're both right. The public is, by and large, following the directives and doing what's asked of them. There are exceptions. There are also jurisdictions that haven't shut down but probably should. But so far, most people are trying to do their part in very unusual circumstances. The question is how long can we keep it going? And what will it take to get out?

And how will the answers to those questions affect DCI?

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Anecdotal evidence from your personal small world view is not evidence enough to pull out statistics like that. People are defying the social distancing orders every day. The virus can travel a distance of 13 feet, and yet people can't even maintain a 6 foot distance from each other. Don't believe me? Go to a store like Costco where you will find people 3-4 feet within each other to grab groceries. My dad called me up yesterday and was telling me someone even bumped him yesterday while he was on a walk outside! 

If you don't have the stats, don't make the claim. There's enough misinformation out there. 

So my "anecdotal" evidence must be wrong; your anecdotal evidence proves it!

8 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

So my "anecdotal" evidence must be wrong; your anecdotal evidence proves it!

I am using logic. If you think people are actually keeping 13-16 feet away from each other when they're out and about, I got a bridge to sell ya

• Haha 1

Speaking of anecdotial (is that a word?).... family member had load delivered to work on the yard. Delivery guy kept wanting to talk from 3 feet away....  she wished she had the pitchfork in her hands then. “Social distancing” jab  jab...

Going to be a lot of changes made to usual habits by time this is done.. hope they stick

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I am using logic. If you think people are actually keeping 13-16 feet away from each other when they're out and about, I got a bridge to sell ya

Here where I am (Montreal), people are often leaving 20 feet between them and the next person in line. Get too close to someone at a store?  Get hissed at.  Evil eye, raise the mask. 

I was in line at a grocery store earlier in the week and someone got too close walking by to get at the back of the line.

The woman in front of me stretched out her arms and said "back off!"

• Like 1

There's an article on Yahoo Sports about a letter from  the G5 commissioners to the NCAA requesting changes from 

certain regulatory requirements for up to 4 years.

The request is based on Covid's impact on the schools.

Its interesting to note that the schools include an anticipated a drop in attendance at'football games.

If Covid is causing these kinds of impacts on D1 college sports, I would expect 

a similar impact on activities like drum corps.

• Like 1

Just now, rpbobcat said:

There's an article on Yahoo Sports about a letter from  the G5 commissioners to the NCAA requesting changes from 

certain regulatory requirements for up to 4 years.

The request is based on Covid's impact on the schools.

Its interesting to note that the schools include an anticipated a drop in attendance at'football games.

If Covid is causing these kinds of impacts on D1 college sports, I would expect 

a similar impact on activities like drum corps.

I think BOA 2020 is already toast.

13 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If we treat cixelsyd's "99%" as his personal sense of how people are responding relative to what might have been expected, then I think you're both right. The public is, by and large, following the directives and doing what's asked of them. There are exceptions.

Good - someone understands.  Yes, there are exceptions.  But they are exceptions, few in the overall scheme of things.  Amid the numerous recommendations for social distancing and other enhanced precautions, people are changing their behaviors quickly and thoroughly.

And never mind this part:

There are also jurisdictions that haven't shut down but probably should.

... this (my observation) is not about who is ordering what, where.  I am talking about what people are doing voluntarily to change their behaviors to stop the spread, on their own initiative - before, beyond, or without being ordered to do so.

(Of course, we are drum corps people, so we will tend to focus on correcting every last remaining error.)

• Thanks 1