If Current DCI Model Gets Cut Back...

13 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

or haircuts....haha

i discussed that in a different thread where it's ok 

5 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

I’ve watched a few Message Boards washed away for good because relevant topics were continually sent adrift. Please, not here!

it's happened with every other thread on here, why not one more

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Thing is, most of what is discussed here is relevant to when, where and how DCI corps get back into operation.

yes...and no.

when people without medical degrees start opining, with or without political bent, showing links and graphs that support their beliefs...then no.

and there's more of that than actually discussing what it will mean to DCI's future

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, skevinp said:

A large number of older people have those conditions, and since most of the victims are older, that may be inflating the apparent significance of the conditions.

Agree and again this is something that applies to all flu type epidemics. Had someone in the family pass during 2017/2018 flu. We both caught and this person with pre-existing condition was so weak after flu ran its course they could not recover before pneumonia set in. Also this was underreported as I had it (took 2 months to fully recover) but never saw a doctor about it.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

1.  First issue with uncounted cases is that it inflates the apparent mortality rate of the virus.  If* decisions are made on that basis, they would tend to be overreactive.

2.  Both the containment and "slow the spread" phases of our efforts are harder to execute when we are not identifying who has the virus.

3.  As you have pointed out, there is much we do not know yet about this virus.  The biggest unknown is the overwhelming majority of people who have not been tested.  How many of them have it?  How many had it, and dealt with it?  There is so much that would tell us about where it is, how it spreads, how well our immune systems fight it, etc.  Moving forward, the more we learn, the safer we will be as we emerge from lockdown mode.

Agree with all this. We need more tests. Lots more tests.

I posted on this forum on March 3 (citing an expert's then month-old recommendation) that it's probable that the "disease was already in this country" by January and "we should assume this was the case and test anyone with symptoms, not just those who had been to China".

I was wrong. What I argued for would even by then have been insufficient. It certainly is now. We need a lot more testing than that.

Then, as you say, we can begin to return to something like normalcy.

19 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Agree and again this is something that applies to all flu type epidemics. Had someone in the family pass during 2017/2018 flu. We both caught and this person with pre-existing condition was so weak after flu ran its course they could not recover before pneumonia set in. Also this was underreported as I had it (took 2 months to fully recover) but never saw a doctor about it.

Had a friend die from the flu in the same season. Just 53 years old.

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Had a friend die from the flu in the same season. Just 53 years old.

Can believe that, this person barely made 56.

59 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

hair cut thread?///lol..You should have let it go, A whole new you. 🧐

i like me as me. i am hoping to like DCI at some point in some form

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2020 at 4:51 PM, cixelsyd said:

I have to call BS on that one.

We do not really know where the line is between good and harm, nor do we know for sure which tactics are working to what extent.  And that applies to the infectious disease experts too.  If you need an example, look no further than the nose on your face (and the mask covering it, thanks to a very recent 180-degree reversal of guidance from the experts).

We have to take a lot of it on faith.  And we have.  We (we the people, at least) have come together with 99+% efficiency to execute extreme, voluntary social distancing and other tactics for 15 days another 15 days until end of April to stop the spread.  These tactics come at a cost.  And I am not talking about mere economics.  Fitness routines have been disrupted.  Supply chains of health-related goods are strained.  If you like your doctor, you are socially distancing from your doctor.  Dentists too.  There are bans on elective surgeries, some of which are only really "elective" in a short-term scheduling sense. 

People will die from extending these circumstances longer and longer.  The only difference is that no one is counting those deaths.

I am in dental school who, before all this craziness, was treating patients on the daily. As a healthcare provider, I am well aware of the effects this disease is having on our healthcare system. I live it. 

The mask decision was puzzling, but I suspect the reason for it was mainly due to concerns about supply. Once hospitals started becoming overloaded, the concern shifted over to flattening the curve, hence the mask recommendation. 

I take issue with your 99+% efficiency, seems like it was pulled more out of your ### than from a poll or study. The governor of North Dakota is still refusing to issue a stay at home order for his state. 

The economy is no doubt a concern and lives will be impacted if we stay at our current course. They already are. 

But this virus is something very different from what we've seen before. Not sure if you've been following the experiments being done, a team in France recently discovered that even when the virus is heating to 140 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour, some strains of the virus were able to survive and replicate. Now, I'm not going to go into conspiracy theories about this being a lab created virus, but this is something very different than what we are used to. We're finding out every day just how much deaths are being under-reported. I understand the cries for opening the economy back up, but I'm afraid things will only get worse if we do.  

• Thanks 1