Sign in to follow this  
mfrontz

The 1986 Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

After looking at the recaps, it seemed interesting that they received the 9.9 before other corps went on after them.

and the next year Cadets had a perfect percussion score with a corps to go.

 

by finals, that panel has seen the players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, supersop said:

Spirit's color guard was a good 5 years ahead of the rest of the world.  They were incredible!!!!  The 86 book reminds me a lot of 94 Cadets ... go figure.

Spirit of Atlanta was definitely, and very clearly, one of the more innovative and best performing guards from the 80s. Wasn't there some connection with Spirit and Sal Salas' State Street Review WGI guard out of Madison, WI? I seem to remember that Sal may have had a hand in Spirit's guards and that a number of the members came from State Street Review. The following is a neat article on SSR.

https://www.wgi.org/ground-breaking-legendary-trend-setter/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Spirit of Atlanta was definitely, and very clearly, one of the more innovative and best performing guards from the 80s. Wasn't there some connection with Spirit and Sal Salas' State Street Review WGI guard out of Madison, WI? I seem to remember that Sal may have had a hand in Spirit's guards and that a number of the members came from State Street Review. The following is a neat article on SSR.

https://www.wgi.org/ground-breaking-legendary-trend-setter/

Scott Chandler was the guard caption head for Spirit in 86. He went to BD in 89 or 90. And he is a major reason BD's is successful and their amazing record from 94-present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Spirit of Atlanta was definitely, and very clearly, one of the more innovative and best performing guards from the 80s. Wasn't there some connection with Spirit and Sal Salas' State Street Review WGI guard out of Madison, WI? I seem to remember that Sal may have had a hand in Spirit's guards and that a number of the members came from State Street Review. The following is a neat article on SSR.

https://www.wgi.org/ground-breaking-legendary-trend-setter/

Wasn't Scott Chandler in charge of Spirit's guard that year?

Speaking of Spirit's guard, at one point the male guard members take off their shirts during a portion of the show. 

Was that considered a controversy during the season and Spirit was told to put shirts back on the male guard members?  I seem to remember something to that effect.  However, they still keep them off for a small portion of the show as per the above finals video.

I'm sure at one point guards will be told to put on their pants.  How times have changed.

Edited by Continental

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

Scott Chandler was the guard caption head for Spirit in 86. He went to BD in 89 or 90. And he is a major reason BD's is successful and their amazing record from 94-present.

Ok, that is what I was wondering. Sal did have some drum corps affiliation but I forget the history of his work in DCI. I know he was legendary in WGI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CHRISP said:

Why was 27th booed?

So, it's been a few years, but IIRC 27 was about 2/3 through their show, and it got windy.  So they stopped and were allowed to restart by the judges.  The crowd didn't like it.  It's the only time i ever saw anything like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, troopers1 said:

So, it's been a few years, but IIRC 27 was about 2/3 through their show, and it got windy.  So they stopped and were allowed to restart by the judges.  The crowd didn't like it.  It's the only time i ever saw anything like it.

It was in  the middle of our 2nd song.  It wasn't just windy - a crazy storm came through.  I don't remember the booing though.  

I have a question - I have a memory of Troopers drum major apologizing to us - maybe for someone breaking our ranks???  Does that ring a bell?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CHRISP said:

It was in  the middle of our 2nd song.  It wasn't just windy - a crazy storm came through.  I don't remember the booing though.  

I have a question - I have a memory of Troopers drum major apologizing to us - maybe for someone breaking our ranks???  Does that ring a bell?

There were so many random things that day, I can't remember for sure. Really, the entire mood of the city was "impatient."   My wife was the guard CO, and she vaguely remembers that there was an apology, and it may have been something to do with where someone(s) staged next to 27 during retreat or on the way into the show - basically a mistake rather than anything intentional.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SCV's levitation here is my favorite of their small-focus magic tricks, and third overall for me only to making the corps disappear at the end of Phantom and to the trouser color change previously discussed.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, the best part of 86 was watching so many of the 84 BD members get the ring that eluded us that year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.