Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

But you know C-19 cannot be compared to the flu.

Based on what - the unfounded assumption that all excess deaths must be C-19?

How many excess deaths were caused by the lockdowns?  No one is counting that.

How many excess deaths were caused by the escalating urban violence of the past six weeks?

How many excess deaths were caused by suicide, or refusal to seek treatment for other ailments, because people are scared ######## by media and certain individuals online carpet-bombing them with cherry-picked statistics for four months and counting?

What IS irresponsible is denying all these other causes of death, exaggerating C-19, and causing panic.

PANIC!

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok.... show of hands....  who is panicking???

Don’t you know? If you say people are panicking enough times, it obviously becomes true. 

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

This question does not have a simple answer... but it is time I responded.

At the same time we complain about inadequate facial coverings and the alleged complacency behind it, lots of other people are at the opposite extreme.  I know people whose self-lockdowns have never ended.  One such family self-quarantines their groceries for 14 days; they have obviously given up on perishables for the time being.  People stay home and ride out other serious medical conditions, taking far greater risks to their lives than the one posed by C-19.  A relentless barrage of fear-inducing reports masquerading as "facts" is causing people to overreact in panic.  And this fear campaign has extended all the way down to the smallest and most tangential social media outlets (like DCP).

Here, we have been subjected to hundreds of posts irrelevant to drum corps, impertinent to the discussions in which they appear, and cherry-picked to exaggerate the severity of C-19.  One might have been able to justify such behavior back in February as response to a couple of people unconcerned about the virus.  But since this grew to the level of a pandemic, there has been no one on this board denying C-19 is serious.  That was four months ago.

The moderators, recognizing the need for human connection at this time, have been trying to allow people more latitude to discuss current events in these trying times.  But that latitude has been abused.  Many of our pre-covid posters have been driven away from the board by this stat-storm.  Those who remain are subjected to these deceptive claims, in some cases clouding their judgment on how to move forward living amid a pandemic.

Somebody should remind us not to panic.  

So your basic answer is... no, no one on DCP is actually panicking. 

What you are suggesting via anecdotal evidence is that people are taking standard precautions during this pandemic. If people are ignoring serious medical conditions because of their worries about the pandemic, I’m not so sure the media can be blamed for that. As you probably know based on my posts about COVID-19, I (and my family) am taking this pandemic a lot more seriously than others are. However, just two weeks ago, my father suffered from a heart attack. Did he ignore his medical condition? No, he went straight to the hospital as people should. And thankfully, my father is doing okay and so far, still COVID free. With the number of precautions hospitals are taking to reduce the spread (I wasn’t even allowed to visit him), I’m curious as to why people are so hesitant to seek medical help when they need it. That isn’t to place blame on anyone, I am genuinely curious what makes someone decide that a potentially life threatening or altering condition is worth ignoring because of COVID-19. I have not seen the media suggest such a thing ever since elective procedures were re-opened. To present some anecdotal evidence of my own, I have been seeing patients at school for the most routine and mundane procedures every single day and none seem to be very panicky about showing up to a dental school to get a simple cleaning or filling. And mind you, many of my patients are in a high risk category.

I believe there is a very simple way to avoid these one off topics discussing COVID-19: not clicking on them. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Continental said:

That's an interesting comment.

We live in an age where information is at our fingertips.  Yet with all that information we have as yet to have an understanding about how to process that information.  Some will take it blindly.  Some will deny it blindly.  Others just might not be offended by this information and do additional investigation to find other sources to back up the claims or disprove them. 

The later part is lacking.  Severely.  People want information handed to them.  Then there are those that want it handed to them to give them the ability to say something contrary.  

So many choose to criticize the source.  Yet they do nothing to inform themselves.

You touch on an Important point. Because of technological advancement, we can research any subject in great detail. We can read hundreds of charts and graphs, review professional research papers, even watch news live as it happens throughout the world. But, all of that takes time and effort, neither very appealing to many.

If one is content to limit their knowledge to whatever 1 or 2 favorite TV news programs provide, in 3-minute segments, he/she could very well remain misinformed. Also not wise to rely just on newspaper headlines. The substance and ramifications of this COVID 19 event are not easily defined. And, DCP is not the place to do it.

For every report/chart/graph offered up, an equally impressive document can be found to represent the opposite conclusion!

We live in a photoshopped world.

Edited by Fred Windish

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

But if someone reports numbers that are more drastic than what you have found, is that spreading panic or reporting like you have done?

I can’t speak to anyone’s true motivations, but if someone pushes numbers that are obviously and demonstrably false, I would not call that reporting.  

A couple of weeks ago there was some confusion over the 4% deaths per reported cases statistic, and some people appeared to be thinking it meant 4% of people who HAVE Covid die, which is undeniably false (it is likely between 4 to 40 times too high) and would be a scary thing for people to believe and might scare them away from doing essential things like going to the doctor.  

When I pointed this out and tried to explain the difference, suddenly statistics were a bad thing.  Someone actually said  it proved I have not had this come “close” to me which, in addition to being irrelevant to what the actual numbers are, is painfully untrue.

So if we can’t discuss things truthfully and logically without being accused of not caring if people die, that is a problem.  The irony is I am very concerned about the impact of this on someone close to me, and the crazy dynamic I just described actually prevents meaningful discussion that might save lives.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

dLmYxJ.gif

Oh that’s so 80s.... 

ok along with Ed Wood have all the half hour Futurama episodes on DVD... yeah I ain’t right 🙄

And TOTALLY agree with Fred’s last sentence. IMO people search until they hear/read what they want to believe. That’s my big problem with cable “news” trying to get ratings.... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Panic aplenty because Cappybara eats arugula.

I would be panicked by an arugula shortage 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skevinp said:

I used to be so afraid to swear on DCP I just typed the pound signs.

I do that too, but sometimes I will throw in an extra # or two just make people wonder what the ##### I was thinking.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer