Does no WGI = no DCI for 2021 (Hypothetical)?

31 minutes ago, E3D said:

What was the crowd standing along a street for? All of them were wearing no mask's outside? Went for my run late yesterday evening, was at the park with hundreds wearing no mask. 

MikeD shut your eyes for a few seconds 🤪

Some well known person who works in Washington DC was giving a talk..... and this was the welcoming committee on the motorcade route

and be wasn't visiting Dunder-Mifflin lol...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

It really is much easier to be pessimistic.

I will have to respond to this post backwards (as is my nature), in order to turn your frown (post) upside-down.

The alternative is releasing students from campuses to travel freely nationwide and party with no oversight.  Rate the intelligence of that in comparison.

From your examples, it appears that law enforcement is not able to prevent such large gatherings all by themselves.  Without colleges involved, there is zero chance of changing that.

Maybe we should start a movement.  Call it College Adolescent Lives Matter.  Makes for an appropriate acronym (CALM).

Someone kept using the word "arrogance" earlier.  You know what I find arrogant?  This myth that we can "control a disease that spreads easily" without any of the defenses that pre-existing immunity or pharmaceuticals would provide.  No one has.  Even the most dictatorial nations, using the most damaging and costly measures, have had subsequent outbreaks.  There is no "public health infrastructure" that will stop it.  We can influence it by slowing the spread via hygiene/social distancing, but that is only influence, not control.

And the thing is, whether we reopen colleges or shut them down until there are vaccines - we still must rely on the self-control of young adults.  Ultimately, the pandemic will be defeated by the triad of pharmaceuticals, natural immunity, and hygiene/social distancing.  Right now, we only have the latter... and it depends on young adults, wherever they are, participating in the effort.  If ever there was a "teachable moment", this is it... and our colleges/universities ought to be providing the lesson, whether in-person or online.

Wait!  What?  Trust people to make decisions for themselves?  Pfft.  Clearly, you've been sleeping for the last few years.  (\sarcasm)

Both of my kids are at college.  If both colleges are demonstrating actions that pass the very demanding cleanliness requirements of most freaked-out adult babysitters and their lawyers of today, I'm absolutely confident that schools will do the same for the benefit of their more widespread sports and activities including music programs. 

It's all in the timing.  Ten months from now the schools could very well be clean and welcoming, but planning in November for that possibility takes a leap of faith that might be required for drum corps to stay relevant.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 1:31 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

A post so nice you quoted it twice.

Reminds me of the time I summarized more than 900 previous posts in a G7 discussion, and then Jeff quoted the whole thing.

(Someone asked around that time why I kept referring to the G7 as "SE7EN". It was because we didn't know what was in the box.)

This is so good!  I remember this effort very well!  

I'm going to go back and re-read this summary.  Outstanding entertainment!

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

Wait!  What?  Trust people to make decisions for themselves?  Pfft.  Clearly, you've been sleeping for the last few years.  (\sarcasm)

Both of my kids are at college.  If both colleges are demonstrating actions that pass the very demanding cleanliness requirements of most freaked-out adult babysitters and their lawyers of today, I'm absolutely confident that schools will do the same for the benefit of their more widespread sports and activities including music programs. 

It's all in the timing.  Ten months from now the schools could very well be clean and welcoming, but planning in November for that possibility takes a leap of faith that might be required for drum corps to stay relevant.

Schools can only be clean if the occupants are clean. You can wipe down every single nook and cranny but it's people who carry the virus.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Schools can only be clean if the occupants are clean. You can wipe down every single nook and cranny but it's people who carry the virus.

So, we can forget all the cleaning and fogging and surface scouring and hand sanitizer then?

Probably save hundreds of millions of dollars.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, garfield said:

So, we can forget all the cleaning and fogging and surface scouring and hand sanitizer then?

Probably save hundreds of millions of dollars.

Well, that's why I said such measures may turn out to be "security theater": appealing but relatively useless. With the caveat, which I also made, that giving people peace of mind does have some value. As long as it's not a false peace.

• Like 1

Can’t quote keystone3ply without error but...

Bunch of PA schools have already decided to hold fall sports in the spring. Yet to be figured out is possible conflicts with spring sports and what to do with state football playoffs without some top teams 

edit: some of the schools delaying are listed in the article (and a conference meeting next week). Saw another article concerning number of fans allowed in (if any) will be up to schools.

on topic: Just a taste of the various rules, issues, etc DCI/ WGI will have to deal with from district to district. Even worse than what they dealt with before is my guess.

personal oh ####: elementary school about 2 miles from me just had two staff test positive for CV and third waiting results... 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

The primary ages of the WGI and DCI members is 15 to 24 and the deaths and hospitalizations for that age group is very low. 

Seems like if they wear masks and distance then there is a chance to get schools up and running which will eventually lead to WGI and DCI on the road again. 

• Like 1