DCI partnering with Varsity Performing Arts to launch "SoundSport Scholastic" events

31 minutes ago, Continental said:

Yes, I know of people who were with them who later moved to Guardsmen. 

That’s right! We talked about that before. Mike and Phil Seugin and Mike Burkett.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

That’s right! We talked about that before. Mike and Phil Seugin and Mike Burkett.

I did not know of Mike Burkett.

The marching community was quite small. Everyone knew someone.  I had past friends who marched Suncoast, Phantom and Cavaliers. 

The marching band I was in had instructors from Michigan at one point (the first set of instructors were from Oakland Crusaders).

So you crossed the border all the time to attend rehearsals?

Edited by Continental

1 hour ago, Continental said:

I grew up right near Detroit.

I'm more American sounding than Canadian.  It gets pointed out quite often.

However, I still say "hockey" and not "hackey."

Dang last October my old car club took a long weekend bus trip to Detroit. Closest we got to Canada was taking a boat cruise across from Windsor. 

56 minutes ago, Continental said:

I did not know of Mike Burkett.

The marching community was quite small. Everyone knew someone.  I had past friends who marched Suncoast, Phantom and Cavaliers. 

The marching band I was in had instructors from Michigan at one point (the first set of instructors were from Oakland Crusaders).

So you crossed the border all the time to attend rehearsals?

Amherstburg? Yeah, I knew (and marched with) some of the instructors there: Andy James, Dave “Fuzzy” Austin, Scott Kuhlow, (Mike West?).  

Yes, we crossed the border several times a week. Once, in Mike West’s VW Van, we sang to the border guard, in four parts, “I’m a Yankee Doodle Dandy,” when asked about our citizenship.”  He laughed and waved us through. #simplertimes

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Amherstburg? Yeah, I knew (and marched with) some of the instructors there: Andy James, Dave “Fuzzy” Austin, Scott Kuhlow, (Mike West?).  

I wasn't part of Amherstburg.  Initially they were the competition until they closed up.  Did you know of Jack Jones?

At our first competition with them our Director noted how they were using G bugles in their horn line. They were smaller and much more powerful.  Strange complaint to be made looking back.  Our show was crap.  Parts of it were from Star Wars.  I remember hearing them off the field as they played and thinking how good they were.

I don't remember all the details, but I think there was a protest made with the Canadian Championship board that G bugles could not be used in marching band competitions. 

This is over 40 years ago.  Not sure if my memory is correct, but it comes to mind. 

Edited by Continental

1 hour ago, Continental said:

I wasn't part of Amherstburg.  Initially they were the competition until they closed up.  Did you know of Jack Jones?

At our first competition with them our Director noted how they were using G bugles in their horn line. They were smaller and much more powerful.  Strange complaint to be made looking back.  Our show was crap.  Parts of it were from Star Wars.  I remember hearing them off the field as they played and thinking how good they were.

I don't remember all the details, but I think there was a protest made with the Canadian Championship board that G bugles could not be used in marching band competitions. 

This is over 40 years ago.  Not sure if my memory is correct, but it comes to mind. 

Ah, sorry, I can’t remember a Jack Jones. ☹️

5 hours ago, Continental said:

Your generalization is quite interesting as was your comment about Tim Horton's and Dominion.

Please excuse me while I go feed my pet seal tied up near the igloo.

St. John's Newfoundland. I meant it as a joke because you was talking about people working at target, did not mean it the way you took it. 

Signal Hill is the location where they received the first distress signal from the titanic. Very interesting place. I worked about 315 kilometres east of there in the Jeanne D'Arc Basin, our down time was spent in and around Newfoundland. Left there on my way back to Merikah and decided to drive the "summer" (temps in the 40's) up through Newfoundland  and into Labrador (muskrat - Churchill falls) then back into Quebec ending at Quebec City. It took 2 weeks and was an adventure. 

There were no marching arts in Newfoundland though, was a bummer. 

I just thought you might know of the place being from Canada. another joke so don't snap - You do all your cloths shopping at Roots or is the new thing Joe Fresh now? :lol:

23 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, I hate to say this, but new evidence suggests that garfield and MikeD may be right after all. Not sure yet. Need to read some more. But I'm definitely seeing a future where I write Matt Stoller and ask him to explain himself.

For those who want to solve this mystery on their own, here's a hit: Mary Ann Powers.

read up on her. However i know ( to my blessing or curse, unsure) involved in cheer, and their views on Varsity are extremely negative as they are viewed as doing everything they can to push the little guys into oblivion.

17 hours ago, garfield said:

I usually get your more obtuse posts but this one eludes me.  Are you saying simply that the fact that Varsity sells props is all the proof we, et al, need to be convinced that Varsity is guilty of "score-fixing" based on prop requirements?

Honest question and I'm only cautious about not speaking for you.

if you require things needed to score well, that....oh my goodness!!!...Varsity just happens to sell?

not rocket science

14 hours ago, garfield said:

So, what you're describing is not a Varsity problem, but a systemic judging problem?  "Most judges can be bought", kind of thing?

well DCI did hide the recaps for a season claiming it as for judge integrity....