2021 Season Question for DCI & the Participating Corps

43 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

They’re pausing the JNJ for rare occurrences of blood clotting.  Six cases of almost seven million doses administered.  They occurred between six and thirteen days after receiving the vaccine. I’m on day eight.  I’m not too concerned.

To put these numbers in a bit of perspective - there were 25 people shot (3 fatal) in Chicago the weekend of 10-11 April.  Out of 8.8 million residents.  It was more dangerous to be in Chicago last weekend than getting the J&J vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

To put these numbers in a bit of perspective - there were 25 people shot (3 fatal) in Chicago the weekend of 10-11 April.  Out of 8.8 million residents.  It was more dangerous to be in Chicago last weekend than getting the J&J vaccine.

Six women all under 48.  No men.  I wonder if some them were on birth control which has a blood clot risk?  

51 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

They’re pausing the JNJ for rare occurrences of blood clotting.  Six cases of almost seven million doses administered.  They occurred between six and thirteen days after receiving the vaccine. I’m on day eight.  I’m not too concerned.

I’m surprised the number of side effects like this was that low. Saw someone get “red man syndrome” (skin turned red in 10 minutes) on an antibiotic that “everyone” uses. Nurses said “that’s really rare, but it happens”.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:I’m surprised the number of side effects like this was that low. Saw someone get “red man syndrome” (skin turned red in 10 minutes) on an antibiotic that “everyone” uses. Nurses said “that’s really rare, but it happens”.

The list of side effects for the bp meds I take is longer than my arm.  If I started to worry about that, I’d take years off of my life. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My lady friend is 61 and dealt with broken hip surgery and stress from family issues. She heard that the healthier you are the stronger the side effects are. Her quote was “my body is so freaking beat up I probably won’t feel a thing”. Sore arm for a day...

Good way of thinking that. I myself after my two shots had no effects other than a sore arm. One of my friends who is or an on hold trainer had effects like a body aches and chills. But that lasted only 2 days. Everyone is different and our body reacts in different ways. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Good way of thinking that. I myself after my two shots had no effects other than a sore arm. One of my friends who is or an on hold trainer had effects like a body aches and chills. But that lasted only 2 days. Everyone is different and our body reacts in different ways. 

Sister and I said getting Covid was like a “crap shoot” as you couldn’t tell how it would affect you. Know 70 somethings who only had flu symptoms for a day or two. Then healthy 20 year old nephew gets lung damage (hopefully he’ll recover fully eventually).

Vaccine side effects seem to be same kind of “crap shoot”. Just find someone willing to help if it really nails you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’m thinking of the “my house, my rules” effect. You want to come into my house you don’t act up and leave hateful comments about groups outside. If not don’t come in.

Here “my corps, my rules” and one rule is Covid vaccination. If you can’t do this then don’t join

From what the article said, the issue is that you're telling someone they must take a vaccine that only has "emergency approval", making it still considered experimental.

Obviously, this only becomes an issue if someone or some group decides to pursue it legally.

From what I've read in the papers here in NJ, there is resistance among some college students to being forced to get the vaccine.

I would also think it could get tricky is a MM or staff member is, for whatever reason, unable to get vaccinated

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Thanks 1

Several posters have asked about the rent for LOS. The answer may be 0. When Indianapolis was trying to entice DCI to make a long-term commitment to hold their championship in Indianapolis, I believe they offered DCI a ten-year free stadium rental.That ten-year contract ran out several years ago. DCI signed a contract extension, but I do not know whether the contract extension continued the $0 rental. I believe LOS is owned by the city and can be used for certain conventions that take place in Indianapolis. Few conventions take place during the summer, so DCI fills hotel rooms that would otherwise be empty. DCI fans eat at local restaurants and the corps buy food to feed the corps at local supermarkets. DCI has gone without a lot of their usual income generators during the last year: ticket puchases, souvenir sales, recording sales,Friends of DCI renewals, partners of DCI renewals, etc.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

From what the article said, the issue is that you're telling someone they must take a vaccine that only has "emergency approval", making it still considered experimental.

Obviously, this only becomes an issue if someone or some group decides to pursue it legally.

From what I've read in the papers here in NJ, there is resistance among some college students to being forced to get the vaccine.

I would also think it could get tricky is a MM or staff member is, for whatever reason, unable to get vaccinated

Individuals unable to get vaccinated are, in theory, protected by 'herd immunity'.  All (or most) of those around the unvaccinated individuals are immune, so the unvaccinated is unlikely to come in contact with the virus.