Interesting Attendance Concept

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

on the DCAF non finalists episode, i called 79 Crossmen the biggest crime in DCI history

And it was. I remember prelims that day. Before we took the field, we heard Crossmen were out (we were on very late in the day, and we were confident we were in, we just weren’t sure where). We just looked at each other and said, WTF?

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

Crossmen beat Troopers by 10+ points early in 1979 season. DCX doesn’t show them meeting again until prelims, but Crossmen seemed to be consistently scoring higher than Troopers throughout rest of season.  Troopers only out-scored Crossmen once.

When it counted.  

44 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Crossmen beat Troopers by 10+ points early in 1979 season. DCX doesn’t show them meeting again until prelims, but Crossmen seemed to be consistently scoring higher than Troopers throughout rest of season.  Troopers only out-scored Crossmen once.

When it counted.  

I didn’t say Troopers should have been out.

12 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

When it counted.  

I was not at prelims in 1979, and my only source of the performance would have been people who believed Crossmen was robbed, and DCN and DCW, but the consensus at the time was that while Troopers did have a strong performance and Crossmen may have struggled a bit, it should not have resulted with Crossmen in 13th place. The there was also a penalty for Crossmen which was questioned. However, there were drum corps conspiracy theorists that year. It was the one and only year of the “Associates” title. 13-17 competed on the same evening as what was then Class A. I looked on both DCX and From the Pressbox to see if I could find recaps and Crossmen blew everyone else away in the Associates competition. I recall some believing the Associates Division was an invention to because the powers that be wanted Troopers in finals. I’m not that quick to believe the evil empire theory today, but I’m sure I believed it at the time. I also enjoyed Troopers and Cavies even though Crossmen beat them most of the season. I watched it thanks to PBS from the comfort of our den with the technology our color console television and my tape recorder which I used for each corps. If I couldn’t record video, at least I’d have the audio. I’m sure the quality was awful but at the time but I thought it was amazing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I didn’t say Troopers should have been out.

Ties aside - if both Crossmen & Troopers are in, then some other Corps needs to be out. 11th place was Cavaliers; 10th (in prelims) were Guardsmen (7th in finals).   12 finalists means if you add a Corps then you also need to remove one. 

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

I was not at prelims in 1979, and my only source of the performance would have been people who believed Crossmen was robbed, and DCN and DCW, but the consensus at the time was that while Troopers did have a strong performance and Crossmen may have struggled a bit, it should not have resulted with Crossmen in 13th place. The there was also a penalty for Crossmen which was questioned. However, there were drum corps conspiracy theorists that year. It was the one and only year of the “Associates” title. 13-17 competed on the same evening as what was then Class A. I looked on both DCX and From the Pressbox to see if I could find recaps and Crossmen blew everyone else away in the Associates competition. I recall some believing the Associates Division was an invention to because the powers that be wanted Troopers in finals. I’m not that quick to believe the evil empire theory today, but I’m sure I believed it at the time. I also enjoyed Troopers and Cavies even though Crossmen beat them most of the season. I watched it thanks to PBS from the comfort of our den with the technology our color console television and my tape recorder which I used for each corps. If I couldn’t record video, at least I’d have the audio. I’m sure the quality was awful but at the time but I thought it was amazing.

I didn’t see Crossmen that summer, but I did see Troopers - they had a really good horn line.  & I did similar w/ tape recorder & TV.  The technology has improved a bit since then

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Ties aside - if both Crossmen & Troopers are in, then some other Corps needs to be out. 11th place was Cavaliers; 10th (in prelims) were Guardsmen (7th in finals).   12 finalists means if you add a Corps then you also need to remove one. 

Yup. Personally I could have done with one less Children of Sanchez. 

7 minutes ago, Continental said:

LOL - in 1979 the MB I was in played Children of Sanchez.

Was Chuck Mangione the Madonna of the marching world back then?

He absolutely was. I think there were a total of eight corps who played it, three that made finals. (Don’t fact check me on that, but I think I am right.)

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

He absolutely was. I think there were a total of eight corps who played it, three that made finals. (Don’t fact check me on that, but I think I am right.)

Just checked dcxmuseum.org

12 corps played Children of Sanchez in '79.