If Indy were judged

I don’t know how I’d rank corps but holy smokes, the fans are winning this season.  There are, what appear to me, “kids” in all corps that probably wouldn’t have earned a contract in “normal” years but are performing quite well.  I’ve been amazed at how well these corps are performing given their limited time together.  If we are fortunate to get back to relative normalcy for next season, there will be people auditioning that would generally have taken spots this year.  Add in all the experience gained for younger folks this year, next year could be crazy good.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

I don’t know how I’d rank corps but holy smokes, the fans are winning this season.  There are, what appear to me, “kids” in all corps that probably wouldn’t have earned a contract in “normal” years but are performing quite well.  I’ve been amazed at how well these corps are performing given their limited time together.  If we are fortunate to get back to relative normalcy for next season, there will be people auditioning that would generally have taken spots this year.  Add in all the experience gained for younger folks this year, next year could be crazy good.

most of the top 12 corps have a "doughnut" type membership this season> a lot of old (2 age out classes, corps with 50+ age outs) and a whole lot of young (and not a lot in the middle) ... if those "kids" stay with the corps into 2022 it will really benefit them moving forward

15 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Yup … we haven’t seen Bluecoats, BAC or Cadets yet. It is too soon to say. 

Apples and oranges too. Crown had 60 guard on the field in exhibition this summer, while Cavaliers had 22 Guard on the field. Blue Stars had 94 brass on field in exhibition, others 56 brass. Competition rules prohibit more that 155 can be on the field, but this summer several Corps exceeded that number in exhibition, some as high as 165- 182 on the field. Some shows on the field are 5 minutes, others 12 minutes. Nobody was checking if there might be overage in line in any Corps either, as its all exhibition to begin with. Some Corps had .or will have,  between 60-86 age outs in their Corps in exhibition this summer too, lest we forget.  Most of these Corps, will look/ sound entirely different next summer when these Corps are judged in competition, as the shows to place high will require more demand musically and visually, and thus most of these Corps will put shows on the field that will reflect that it will be judged in competition, not in exhibition.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 2

Good points, Boss. As I watched the Blue Stars for example, I was thinking holy smoke are they huge. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

How about by applause-o-meter?

It's a win for the audience!

16 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

It's a win for the audience!

I've read a number of comments similar to this, and agree 100%.

This should give corps an indication as to what audiences, you know, the people who buy

tickets and donate, like seeing on the field.

Maybe the pageantry leeches could take a lesson from this.

I've said it before :You shouldn't need a libretto, or be a music major, to enjoy a drum corps show.

Edited by rpbobcat

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

Nobody was checking if there might be overage in line in any Corps either, as its all exhibition to begin with. Some Corps had .or will have,  between 60-86 age outs in their Corps in exhibition this summer too, lest we forget. 

Very true. I think some of the corps were offering age-outs from 2020 a chance to march one more summer, even if non competitive. Add to that there are kids marching this year in which this would be their age-out year. So there will still be plenty of rebuilding and recruiting needed for most corps come 2022. 

2 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Most of these Corps, will look/ sound entirely different next summer

Yea, I expect corps will generally place about the same as they have been in prior years but I do think there are a fairly large number of prior year vets with eligibility that will return next year which may mean next season is full of experience more than usual for some corps.

4 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Most of these Corps, will look/ sound entirely different next summer

This sentence should start with "For better or for worse" .

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 1