East Coast Showcase -- Lawrence, MA -- 8/4

If I'm in the minority on this observation I'll be okay: The screens during BAC's performance were cute but I found my visual loyalties diverted too often while BAC was playing their ##### off...maybe too much of a good thing?..just a thought..peace

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Liahona said:

When did the August 4th show CHANGE to Lawrence???  I thought that show was going to be in Lynn Lynn the city of sin...lol...I'm not complaining, just curious why they changed it...of course it probably was changed long ago and I was just not paying attention...

The Lynn show has always been hosted by the Beverly Cardinals Alumni.  This year, they either didn't want to host or couldn't, so BAC picked up the date. As for the venue, I don't think last night's crowd would have fit into the stands at Manning Field anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, waliman4444 said:

If I'm in the minority on this observation I'll be okay: The screens during BAC's performance were cute but I found my visual loyalties diverted too often while BAC was playing their ##### off...maybe too much of a good thing?..just a thought..peace

Best guard and brassline I’ve seen of everyone.   But those screens don’t do anything for me.  They’re really distracting.

Cadets have the best percussion this year.  They’re pretty amazing considering the short amount of time they’ve been actually playing together. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

But those screens don’t do anything for me.  They’re really distracting.

Kinda leaning now towards this and George's view on the screens after last night showed them a little better. I don't see the value add either, but BC definitely gets the E for effort. If nothing else, their changes in design direction year to year are always creative and innovative. Just SOS to Goliath over the last two seasons were giant leaps. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Kinda leaning now towards this and George's view on the screens after last night showed them a little better. I don't see the value add either, but BC definitely gets the E for effort. If nothing else, their changes in design direction year to year are always creative and innovative. Just SOS to Goliath over the last two seasons were giant leaps. 

absolutely - kudos to Boston for their dramatic improvements

• Like 3

Overall the show was fantastic last night. I look forward to another run tonight. My FLO feed was better last night. Audio did not drop in and out like the night before. They may have had the compression set better so when the brass and percussion levels get higher the compressor does not over-react. The mix between pit and field is still not great, but often this is the case even when you see the corps live. It seems the designers/audio mixers like a heavy bass and all the mallets to be loud and cutting over the brass. I prefer they be blended under the brass and battery percussion. You simply cannot have 3 equals, and many would argue the pit is becoming too dominant. At its core, fan are still going to be mostly interested in the sounds emanating from the field by battery and brass (drums and bugles). This isn't to say that the mallets and other pit instruments can't have their moments. They should. But when brass and battery need to be dominant it too often feels they are not. The sound coming from the front is just overwhelming more times than not. So in fairness to FLO, this clearly creates difficulty in balancing and streaming to thousands over the internet. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, George Dixon said:

30+ aging out from what I hear

They posted a picture of guard age-outs on FB and I think I saw 18, so 40 eligible returning members, including the young man who leads off the show with that nutty rifle toss who just finished his freshman year in high school (6-7 years of eligibility left...).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Cadets! Anxious to see what they do next season. 

there's a big clue at the very end - the two members close the trunk & stare off into the future in their Garfield jackets NOT focused on the past, JMO but that's a clear design easter egg for 2022 = imagining what's next 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Musicman1084 said:

They posted a picture of guard age-outs on FB and I think I saw 18, so 40 eligible returning members, including the young man who leads off the show with that nutty rifle toss who just finished his freshman year in high school (6-7 years of eligibility left...).

no doubt they are set up strongly for 2022

• Like 1