Saturday Aug. 14 - DCI Celebration - The last dance

Here come the Crossmen!

And bones!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lance said:

oh cool. what was their touring budget and how much did they spend where?

you have the inside info, and you should share. 

Don’t mean to offend you but obviously each corps spent a fortune on production costs. Their choice…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

This is how crowds used to react to drum corps. So nice to be a part of it

It reminded me of the crowd vibe from 2008 in Bloomington when I was there....just wow.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

It's OK to like old things, especially if the ones that replaced them aren't as good! Trying something new, deciding it doesn't work as well, and reverting is more commendable than trying something new and doubling down if it doesn't work, or not trying anything new at all.

something tells me our idea of what "doesn't work" or "does work" might not correlate with how scoring works now. 

just a fact we have to face as the activity grows and evolves. we're not the first to go through it and won't be the last. 

• Like 1

Just now, crownisking said:

She’s one of my favorite Phantom conductors. I believe this is her age out year.

She's phenomenal.  And if they're doing the conductor awards at all this year she'd be my pick.

There were some encores this year where you could see how she pulls the emotion out of their playing and pulls it together, making corrections and instructing from the podium. 

• Like 1

Just now, Liahona said:

It reminded me of the crowd vibe from 2008 in Bloomington when I was there....just wow.

I wish I went to finals that year. The crowd reaction reads well on video. I can only imagine how electric it was in person.  

• Like 1

Just now, KVG_DC said:

She's phenomenal.  And if they're doing the conductor awards at all this year she'd be my pick.

There were some encores this year where you could see how she pulls the emotion out of their playing and pulls it together, making corrections and instructing from the podium. 

She and my nephew went to HS together in Ofallon, IL. She is a wonderful person and leader

1 minute ago, crownisking said:

I wish I went to finals that year. The crowd reaction reads well on video. I can only imagine how electric it was in person.  

I was in the stands in 08... You can feel the sound, emotion, and power that night.

• Like 3

Just now, Lance said:

something tells me our idea of what "doesn't work" or "does work" might not correlate with how scoring works now. 

just a fact we have to face as the activity grows and evolves. we're not the first to go through it and won't be the last. 

This is probably so, but...the activity has swing back and forth between trends in the years I've watched it and...this season, Phantom and Cadets shows are feeling like they might start that pendulum swinging back.  The scale down of props in many corps and the reinvention of 'big drill moves' as well as the staging stuff is likely to influence too. 

Design teams are watching these 'throwback' shows and having their imaginations jogged with "what if we did that with this" sort of thoughts.

• Like 3