Bluecoats 2022

8 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

Remember 2001…the color du jour was dog$hit gold

I thought we sported it pretty well.

11 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

The new "STUFF" has been planned since before the first show...

Yes.  The competitive-catch-up model is mostly a fan myth.  Corps work exclusively on maximizing their show through the season... not on maximizing the comparison of their show against other shows.

That kind of perspective mostly has to rest on the initial design, and writing the most aggressive and cohesive initial design generally pays off, so long as the group can execute.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Big Bird said:

Bluecoats shared this on their YouTube today. The Keytar soloist talks about how this came to be. I had no idea that he wrote his own part and has the freedom to improv. Would explain why it sounds different at every show I’ve seen.

Such a highlight of the summer! Yet I see a real danger that Ryan grooves so hard on the solo that he gets disoriented and dances off the prop 😂 

what a great performer who has really risen to the challenge!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The video about Ryan the keytar soloist shows just what a high - truly professional - level of skill and experience the top corps have these days. Studying jazz piano at Berklee and playing mellophone on the side! Wow. Kudos to the Bluecoats' design team for letting him make it his own. Extraordinary

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Big Bird said:

It’s looking like the writing is on the wall for this show. I hope the members and staff know how much the audience loves them even if it appears the judges do not

First, judges opinions don’t matter.  Bluecoats have made their mark on drum corps history with this show!

Second, where did you get the idea the judges don’t like Bluecoats this year? 

Third, writing on the wall is Star '90. 😉

Yeah, I hate the sort of 'if it doesn't medal, it's not a good design' mentality.  Bloo is one of those corps that isn't afraid to go out and commit to an idea that imprints a whole new idiom on the activity.  Sometimes they'll get rewarded by the judges with a medal, other times they won't.   The crowd will still BLOOOOOOOOOOOO every time though.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Third, writing on the wall is Star '90. 😉

Yeah, I hate the sort of 'if it doesn't medal, it's not a good design' mentality.  Bloo is one of those corps that isn't afraid to go out and commit to an idea that imprints a whole new idiom on the activity.  Sometimes they'll get rewarded by the judges with a medal, other times they won't.   The crowd will still BLOOOOOOOOOOOO every time though.

LOVE the fact that you used the Star 90 comparison!  Yessss!!  An absolute classic, and the one I play most often from that year!

You’re absolutely correct.  A medal is great, but it’s not needed.  

Edited by Tommeee
typo...

5 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

LOVE the fact that you used the Star 90 comparison!  Yessss!!  An absolute classic, and the one I play most often from that year!

You’re absolutely correct.  A medal is great, but it’s not needed.  

Actually it was the literal writing on the wall in that show….

😜

but it does work the way you read it too