Carolina Crown 2022

karuna

The field is not cluttered. Jeff’s drill has always been a bit of problem. It’s tough drill, and in order for the visual  effect to work is usually has to be achieved perfectly. If not it's just not working to help the effect.

I do think Crown probably has the hardest drill this season, right with BD and harder than Boston. 

I do actually like this years drill more than usual… or since 2016. But, the arrival set in the ballad hit with the tarp moment, honestly looks terrible. The low brass scattered on side 1 looks so bizarre.

Also the set going into the silks in the opener… always dirty. Maybe it’s supposed to be?? Idk. 

I like the closer drill for the most part. It’s just hard to achieve and for what effect??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WarriorWay said:

The field is not cluttered. Jeff’s drill has always been a bit of problem. It’s tough drill, and in order for the visual  effect to work is usually has to be achieved perfectly. If not it's just not working to help the effect.

I do think Crown probably has the hardest drill this season, right with BD and harder than Boston. 

I do actually like this years drill more than usual… or since 2016. But, the arrival set in the ballad hit with the tarp moment, honestly looks terrible. The low brass scattered on side 1 looks so bizarre.

Also the set going into the silks in the opener… always dirty. Maybe it’s supposed to be?? Idk. 

I like the closer drill for the most part. It’s just hard to achieve and for what effect??

I don't think it's cluttered either. 

I like the ballad tarp bit....but the low brass needs to do something else. I loved it at Broken Arrow along with everyone else...the problem is your attention is completely focused one that. You don't really even notice what the low brass is doing and by the time you look over at them to see the player standing on the prop you have no idea how it arrived there....I only knew what happened because I've seen other videos where you  can see it all at once. 

Totally agree about the set going into the silks in the opener looks dirty...it's been like that since the beginning of the season and it hasn't been fixed so my conclusion is it's suppose to be like that.  

I think once they've cleaned the sets and the movements the visual score will increase along with GE. If they It needs be be cleaned quickly since there's only coupled weeks to go till finals. If they do it right, I still think they could possibly take the title, but I doubt it. I'm pretty confident they'll medal for sure though.

At Broken Arrow the brass didn't seem as loud as the other top corps but had better precision. The closer sounded a bit dirty, but once they clean it and hopefully increase the volume like they always do, they take the Ott as well as a medal. 

I think they'll over take BAC again when they next meet and will ultimately place higher than them seeing as Crown's show feels like it's at a higher level than them. I could totally be wrong about all the but that's just my opinion. 

Hmm...looks like I rambled on a bit again. Sorry about all that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, WildcatMello said:

I like the ballad tarp bit....but the low brass needs to do something else. I loved it at Broken Arrow along with everyone else...the problem is your attention is completely focused one that. You don't really even notice what the low brass is doing and by the time you look over at them to see the player standing on the prop you have no idea how it arrived there....I only knew what happened because I've seen other videos where you  can see it all at once. 

Totally agree about the set going into the silks in the opener looks dirty...it's been like that since the beginning of the season and it hasn't been fixed so my conclusion is it's suppose to be like that.  

I think once they've cleaned the sets and the movements the visual score will increase along with GE. If they It needs be be cleaned quickly since there's only coupled weeks to go till finals. If they do it right, I still think they could possibly take the title, but I doubt it. I'm pretty confident they'll medal for sure though.

At Broken Arrow the brass didn't seem as loud as the other top corps but had better precision. The closer sounded a bit dirty, but once they clean it and hopefully increase the volume like they always do, they take the Ott as well as a medal. 

I think they'll over take BAC again when they next meet and will ultimately place higher than them seeing as Crown's show feels like it's at a higher level than them. I could totally be wrong about all the but that's just my opinion. 

Hmm...looks like I rambled on a bit again. Sorry about all that. 

I wonder if they have enough time to make changes or clean, they don’t have a lot of rehearsal days on the schedule.  

Agree with this.  I like some of the effects here, ie, the rapid expansion/collapse of one of the silks after the brass has come out from underneath is a cool effect.  But the whole sequence with the fabrics is tough to clean. 

But they got a few weeks to make it happen! 🙂 

8 hours ago, WarriorWay said:

I guess it's my personal preference, and not a particular common concern.  I had same thoughts in 2014 and 2017, even though I enjoyed those shows, too.

• Like 1

I love them and this show, but there are too many parts of the visual program that come across as cluttered.  Yes, most of us know and get what they are doing, but the eye sees what it sees.

The panel fabric section definitely needs some tweaking.  Also the circle with the partners in the closer is almost never clean.  A lot of forms hit really well, but transitioning to them isn't solid.  A fair amount of spacing errors still happening.

• Like 3

I may be in the minority, but lose the tarp all together... Instead, have the full ensemble tighten up and come front sideline and just blast... a bit like Phantom 93 ballad. 

If it is possible, is there a way to add an additional 10 seconds to the closer? I am not a horn player, so they may be maxed out. They have the most powerful closer for sure, so why not accent it even more? 

Oh the fabric in the opener...oh, the fabric in the opener. I struggle - when it's done well, (and this may only exist in my head because I really haven't seen it not look like a jumbled mess), it's great, and has a ton of potential from an effect and pacing standpoint. It has not been realized yet, and maybe just getting comfy in a dome for three days will be a natural fix for it. Or, it will remain a mess. This is one of those moments where the staff needs to adopt Vegas odds mindset. 

IMHO - it's in the show...it's not leaving (that fabric cost WAY TOO much!) - keep working it and cleaning the entrance and exit, and thank Jesus for no wind in the dome. 

The ballad staging leaves me perplexed. Why the monstrosity on side two and not one. It makes the low brass look small and ... normal. If side two has purpose, then what is the function or purpose of side one? Do they connect, to each other...to the monstrosity? Should they? I don't know. Are they parked with absolutely nothing to do for a couple seconds too much? Do I want the fabric from side two to come over and eat side one? Maybe...just maybe! But, when I get a moment to distract myself from what really is some great musicianship from the soloist to the ensemble, rooted in great arranging - I do feel that effect and visually it becomes static for just a bit too long. I think the two sides need to connect somehow (can we fit two people in those fabric holes??? Get out yer scissors!). I think the middle of the monstrosity needs to gain height at the end of the hit. I don't care how you do it...your crown...make it happen. Think really scary and awkward Broken Arrow monstrosities from years back, and make it happy - two dimensions aren't enough for that ballad now...got to get to a third. 

In the percussion feature - aka "coachella at corps" - it is very evident that the brass likes to spin flags. It's cool. It's how we all got recruited to guard in the first place. And, it's fun to watch - will be better in the dome with the black tarp in back (the spendthrift and timethrift in me says - time to think about sparklies and rhinestones!)...but, again, IMHO - the brass players spinning need to move a lil bit. Nothin cray cray - just some 4 steps to the left on the up/down, then 4 steps back to the right on the next up/down...alternating horizontally to create some contrary motion, etc.. Not brain surgery, or the topic of a 6 hour block - it'll just create some variety.

And the closer is ######...I don't know if it's Drum Corps of the future, of the past, or another dimension - whatever. It's a moment. 2 minutes of a moment that, in general, doesn't disappoint. Great Jeff drill...great staging....exciting stuff. The question is (and, honestly, it shouldn't be....but, it is) how can they enhance it in the final three weeks to make it....I dunno...more betterer? I guess that's the challenge of coming out in June with a closer that I think is finals ready - it is, until it isn't. And I remember telling myself, speaking to a figurative crown - "don't change a #### thing". And now, I'm like, what can they change...but don't change. Quite the pickle. Here's my only suggestion, leaving out the obvious "clean it up" bit - hold onto the structure for like 5.2 seconds more. We're a little too quick in the final moments to toss the flags away, destroy the crown, and yell at me. It's great. I love it. But, maybe, just maybe - hold onto it for a couple more moments. I don't think this makes up a point and change deficit, I'm not naive - but, remember that what's beating you right now is cleanliness and poise - which, this show has, but like in "The Upside Down". I don't think you should make the show match someone else's aesthetic, or "be more like XX" - I think you should be you, but recognize that this show vacillates between the traditional notion of structure and the image of looseness and avant garde-ism (totally not the right use there) that underlies the spirit of "rh rn" - and, in the final moments, I know you want to turn it to eleven...I think it would go a long way and show your ability as an ensemble to be controlled in the uncontrolled moment, (think...mature-er) if you left it at ten for a couple more moments. And, the spread flags in the final moments is great to arrive at, but, leaving the guard end flagless spread across the field loses impact. I think they need to arrive at the spread form for the impact final choreography, but as they toss away the flags (which should ripple back to front, or somethin) they need to come together somehow - in a blob in the middle, in an arc across midfield, something "bulkier" and statement-y. Again, it may violate some principles of physics, time and space - to which I am not deterred. You literally wrote an ending about violating physics and creating a wormhole across the field - and you broke out a half-football field sized tarp to move the guard upfield and create a crown in the past - so, figure it out. 

Or, honestly - don't change a #### thing. Because it's great. Right now (right here?) is when you run into that fork in the road of whether you should over-concern yourself with competitiveness, or make the product you have enjoyable, and memorable for all involved. The first path does not guarantee achievement or success...even if you go full tilt. The second path is the easiest, but it's also built in. I don't think that staff or those performers are the type to just ride out the on-board path. There is that third road (is this a spork?) where you seek to achieve both - but, the risk there is over-programming and over-changing the product to the point where it loses competitiveness because it's no longer enjoyable and memorable. At some point, we need to face the fact that the enjoyment and execution of this program is achievable BECAUSE of the comfort afforded the performers in a quality product that has remained consistent (i.e. you're never ACTUALLY comfortable with the really fast and dangerous scatter drill until the moment when it has been rehearsal a gagillion times and it feels like there's actual drill written into the scatter).

Standard PC tag line: It will be interesting to see what choices are made in the next week - week and a half. I predict that they will perform...they will be great...there will be a lot of applause...there will be scores...and placements, to which Crown will be in the thick of it. And, honestly - it will be enjoyable and memorable regardless of changes, scores, and/or placements. 

• Like 1

Watching a closer up video of San Antonio -

One thing I never liked visually is part 2 right before right her right now the rifles ripple one way leading to a rifle solo toss to a trio toss and the flags ripple the opposite way to nothing.

I could hear some intonation problems specially going into the ballad.

I feel part 1 and 2 feel the most cohesive going into each other. Then there's the ballad then a breakdown then an ending. Hopefully the connections happen

Another thing percussion wise I feel the drumset player is an after thought to the program instead being cohesive to the whole percussion musically.

I also would agree that the old start to part 5 was better it gave more of a in your face moment.

As for the fabric, streamers etc I wish they all connected each prop instead on the field itself, maybe that would give a less cluttered feel that most people think.

I can't wait to see what additions to the show happens and the cleaning.

• Like 2

Since SA, it seems there’s been a precipitous decline in activity/chatter here in CrownLAND. With a few notable—and I hasten to add well articulated—reviews and observations, it appears we’ve been reduced to a parlor game of “guess the playlist tune” for upcoming venues.

As several notable uber honks are taking a DCP hiatus, I’ll have to step-up and assume the mantle of CrownUSUAL SUSPECT, however ill informed and unqualified as I am. 

Anyhow, it’s a show day.

go crown

Edited by nsxanax
  • Like 2