Bonfiglio/27th dispute

On 12/25/2021 at 11:01 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Swell.  

Merry Christmas.

An observation (which ties to the props injury liability discussion on the PR thread) - note that both sides were represented by counsel.  And no matter what the outcome, the lawyers on both the winning & losing sides will send a bill.  If issues like injury liability, sexual abuse accusations, ownership rights to a name (as in this case), or any other potentially litigious issues arise, the lawyers will be paid.  Lawyers are expensive.  Insurance may cover part of the bill in some instances, but there are pitfalls there as well.  Do Corps have a secret pot of $$ to pay attorney fees?  Even an ultimate win in court could bankrupt a Corps (or DCI for that matter).

no matter what lawyers always win

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob984 said:

Your last sentence says it all.  A family "control squabble" is one thing.......and I can also tell you that the "other side" (ie the plaintiffs) seem to have done all that they could to try to convince/beg  DB to do things the right way.   However, just in one particular year, her "foundation" took in $14,045.....awarded $2000 in scholarships.....but claimed $10650 in "expenses", including $7726 in "other expenses"........the judge CALLS HER OUT on this, with many of the "other expenses" in reality being a personal "expense account" for DB for things unrelated to the scholarships.  Though I do not know if this will be pursued or not, as it was not only a civil matter, but possibly could be subject to becoming a criminal matter as well.  If you establish a "charitable" organization, but claim that your expenses to provide the charity represent administrative costs that are 76% of a good amount of money taken in (many reputable charities run at 5-10% and almost all reputable one's run under 20%), I would call that a red flag (and subject to a full audit)....and there are 7 tax years in a row....all following this similar pattern.   The next question I ask is this.....should someone who has done this be CEO and have access to the checkbook of a major corps and a   two million+ budget......and one who now owes a $94,000 judgement in the matter.......also, is the Board aware of this judgement against DB, and did she disclose this at any time to them, especially when promoted from staff coordinator to director, and then director to CEO.....all in a short time frame.

given the chaos administratively the last 4 years, i cant imagine full disclosure happened. if it did happen, then well...then it seems the new board in several ways mirrors the board of April 2018

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

given the chaos administratively the last 4 years, i cant imagine full disclosure happened. if it did happen, then well...then it seems the new board in several ways mirrors the board of April 2018

The appeal verdict was recent......there are good people on the board, and it's quite large.....17 members not including DB......they deserve the opportunity to review and respond...........

• Thanks 1

Family members fighting like this leads me to believe people have been profiting off the 27th Lancers' name for quite a few years. It might be a small profit, but you don't setup a new entity when there is nothing to gain financially. 

Edited by mcjordansc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mcjordansc said:

Family members fighting like this leads me to believe people have been profiting off the 27th Lancers' name for quit a few years. It might be a small profit, but you don't setup a new entity when there is nothing to gain financially. 

Follow the money.

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Follow the money.

you are correct.....fighting over a name/trademark is one thing, and frankly with a defunct corps, who cares.............however, creating a "foundation" where only a small percentage of the raised funds is actually going toward the charitable cause and the rest of the $$$ goes toward "expenses" certainly raises a red flag...

19 minutes ago, Bob984 said:

......however, creating a "foundation" where only a small percentage of the raised funds is actually going toward the charitable cause and the rest of the $$$ goes toward "expenses" certainly raises a red flag...

That’s what killed the United Way type fundraising they used to have where I worked. Used to get a booklet with all the groups. Then one year they added percentage that went to “administrative costs” and some of the groups were 😳

• Like 1