Bonfiglio/27th dispute

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Bingo… had a distant relative got sucked into a sting operation with 8 others in his profession. State was after 2 people but grabbing a bunch looked better. The 2 biggies kept appealing and all 9 (and their lawyers) had to show up for every court date. Finally the relative copped a plea deal of plead guilty and get probation only. No idea if he was guilty but he was going broke. So it was plead guilty or lose the house to lawyer bills.

Yes.  I did read that part of the judgement says that the losing sibling (DB) is ordered to pay the winning sibling's (PB, GJr's) attorney fees.  But that doesn't always happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Bingo… had a distant relative got sucked into a sting operation with 8 others in his profession. State was after 2 people but grabbing a bunch looked better. The 2 biggies kept appealing and all 9 (and their lawyers) had to show up for every court date. Finally the relative copped a plea deal of plead guilty and get probation only. No idea if he was guilty but he was going broke. So it was plead guilty or lose the house to lawyer bills.

Another observation - I believe that lawyers refer to this is 'the process is the punishment' - time, stress & attorney fees punish even without a conviction (and sometimes without even being guilty).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Poppycock said:

The number of shady characters in this activity grows annually. 

If only it was annually. More like quarterly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

If only it was annually. More like quarterly.

Wonder how much crap we missed BITD when we only had local news to go on. Heavens knows DC World and DC News wouldn’t go near any of the stories we are discussing today, and by today I mean 12/25. 

• Like 2

I'm trying to figure out a way that DB doesn't look like the scum of the earth in this... and I can't.  I was once part of the evidence gathering for a lawsuit my company filed against a former R&D team lead that got hired away by a competitor.  He was accused of stealing designs and materials that were under copyright and patents.  I knew the guy and wasn't shocked at all that he did it.  After reading the appeal summary, I'm shocked at what was going on... and disgusted with DB's actions.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wonder how much crap we missed BITD when we only had local news to go on. Heavens knows DC World and DC News wouldn’t go near any of the stories we are discussing today, and by today I mean 12/25. 

I don't know that I've ever seen anything in DCW on the dark side of the activity. There's been plenty of chances to do so. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 9:13 AM, Slingerland said:

I read the court doc. It's two siblings against a third sibling and another party, all four of them trying to use the dead meat of a dead drum corps for less than convincing charitable purposes.

I could certainly be misreading it, but it seemed like the two siblings essentially said "she shouldn't be involved because she works with another corps." I assume the corps at that time was SCV. If I'm correct... (i) what does it matter that she was involved with another corps when 27th was no longer a competing organization? and (ii) SCV is on the other coast with presumably a completely different donor base (or even if Cadets, I'd think they'd have a completely different group of donors than 27th as well).

That said, she certainly looks like the bad guy here with her actions. And it would seem someone with such poor judgment would be a liability for a drum corps like the Cadets. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I could certainly be misreading it, but it seemed like the two siblings essentially said "she shouldn't be involved because she works with another corps." I assume the corps at that time was SCV. If I'm correct... (i) what does it matter that she was involved with another corps when 27th was no longer a competing organization? and (ii) SCV is on the other coast with presumably a completely different donor base (or even if Cadets, I'd think they'd have a completely different group of donors than 27th as well).

That said, she certainly looks like the bad guy here with her actions. And it would seem someone with such poor judgment would be a liability for a drum corps like the Cadets. 

Your last sentence says it all.  A family "control squabble" is one thing.......and I can also tell you that the "other side" (ie the plaintiffs) seem to have done all that they could to try to convince/beg  DB to do things the right way.   However, just in one particular year, her "foundation" took in $14,045.....awarded $2000 in scholarships.....but claimed $10650 in "expenses", including $7726 in "other expenses"........the judge CALLS HER OUT on this, with many of the "other expenses" in reality being a personal "expense account" for DB for things unrelated to the scholarships.  Though I do not know if this will be pursued or not, as it was not only a civil matter, but possibly could be subject to becoming a criminal matter as well.  If you establish a "charitable" organization, but claim that your expenses to provide the charity represent administrative costs that are 76% of a good amount of money taken in (many reputable charities run at 5-10% and almost all reputable one's run under 20%), I would call that a red flag (and subject to a full audit)....and there are 7 tax years in a row....all following this similar pattern.   The next question I ask is this.....should someone who has done this be CEO and have access to the checkbook of a major corps and a   two million+ budget......and one who now owes a $94,000 judgement in the matter.......also, is the Board aware of this judgement against DB, and did she disclose this at any time to them, especially when promoted from staff coordinator to director, and then director to CEO.....all in a short time frame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1