Bonfiglio/27th dispute

Cadets' BOD could step in and simply require Ms Bonfiglio to shut it down as a clear conflict of interest, given that overseeing fundraising initiatives for their drum corps charitable organzation is her full time gig.

They'd be smart to do so, and she'd be smart to accept the decision and try to figure out how to get past this. It's not worth fighting for.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Bob984 said:

The appeal verdict was recent......there are good people on the board, and it's quite large.....17 members not including DB......they deserve the opportunity to review and respond...........

true but this was going on for a while

6 hours ago, skevinp said:

They should each take 13.5 lancers and call it a day.

which section does .5 come from?

2 hours ago, Bob984 said:

Totally agree. with all that you say.  The Cadets have 17 on the board not including DB, with many new people.  They very well may not be aware of any of this or have had time to thoroughly examine things or to meet/discuss.  I am hopeful that they will deliberate and take appropriate actions.

well at least they weren't hired from ads in Drum Corps World

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Attorney's fees were double the amount of the awarded damages, so who really won here?  I want to laugh, but it really is sad.  Too bad these siblings couldn't put their father's and 27th's legacy ahead of their own agenda. Embarrassing for all of them.

Edited by greg_orangecounty
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Cadets' BOD could step in and simply require Ms Bonfiglio to shut it down as a clear conflict of interest, given that overseeing fundraising initiatives for their drum corps charitable organzation is her full time gig.

They'd be smart to do so, and she'd be smart to accept the decision and try to figure out how to get past this. It's not worth fighting for.

It would be wise for her to resign, and if she doesn't, then I believe that she should be removed.  Someone who clearly mishandled, in an unethical manner, a "charity", should not be CEO of a major (or any) corps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Are you suggesting that somehow Cadets will pay legal bills & judgement against DB, or, alternatively that DB will use Cadets funds for this purpose?

Not at all.  Nor am I stating that she has or will try to use Cadets' funds inappropriately.   However, the numbers clearly indicate that she has seriously mishandled a "charity" that she formed, a judge agreed, and another judge rejected her appeal and also agreed.  Not only does she now have a significant civil liability in that case, she could have easily qualified for possible criminal liability as well....at the very least, her handling of the foundation was "unethical", and she was the biggest benefactor of all funds raised';  with only a minority percentage of monies raised going toward the actual charitable cause.   I am suggesting that I am cautiously hopeful that the board will fully examine the facts and ask for her resignation.

1 minute ago, Bob984 said:

Not at all.  Nor am I stating that she has or will try to use Cadets' funds inappropriately.   However, the numbers clearly indicate that she has seriously mishandled a "charity" that she formed, a judge agreed, and another judge rejected her appeal and also agreed.  Not only does she now have a significant civil liability in that case, she could have easily qualified for possible criminal liability as well....at the very least, her handling of the foundation was "unethical", and she was the biggest benefactor of all funds raised';  with only a minority percentage of monies raised going toward the actual charitable cause.   I am suggesting that I am cautiously hopeful that the board will fully examine the facts and ask for her resignation.

Definitely a bad look when Cadets try to raise donations with people who know the situation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob984 said:

Interesting read.......I can tell you that Mr. B was not a happy camper after 1981 when he lost Mr. Z, Miss Twigs, and Mr. Sylvester to Garfield....and when the Cadets won the title in 1983, he rushed his corps to the buses with not a handshake....still, this isn't about Mr. B......nor is it about the family squabble over the corps name, alumni events, etc.........what I DO think is a HUGE concern (and the main concern) is that a charity was founded by DB for the supposed main purpose of providing scholarships for young people to march, and perhaps at the onset, things were genuine.  However,   when you take in over 14K in a calendar year, but only provide 2K in scholarships and the rest is "expenses"......thus over 76% administrative costs, and those being "questionable"....there are red flags all over the place.  Also, info from the plaintiffs indicate that they tried everything to reason with DB, to no avail....she was "running the show", and "FU"....even though Mr. B in his will directives gave control to the plaintiffs....a civil court ruling stands, and DB is liable for a large sum of money....she is the CEO of a major corps with a $2 million+ budget, and has the checkbook.......also, with 17 other Cadet board members, many new, and the final verdict just being a few weeks ago, I would not be surprised if Cadets board members know nothing of this......from an outsider's perspective, looking at the suit, the judge's remarks, and especially the 990's for the foundation, it would have taken me 5 minutes to reach my verdict (the same as the judges), and I would be wanting to take a serious look at Schedule O attachments for 7 years, and would also want to see verified bank balance and transactions for the foundation (as there is over 21K that is supposed to be currently in there....maybe it is...maybe it's not....it may sound "paltry" in today's terms, but that's 20 more $1K scholarships that could be awarded.......)

This situation has been brewing for so long, my guess is the board knew at least about the family disputes, perhaps not so much about the discrepancies of the “expenses.” Since 2013, Denise and Janine have awarded the 27th Lancer Memorial Scholarships at semi’s on Friday night in Indy. Patte and a George Jr. have never been a part of the presentation which is somewhat of a clue something is up.  Denise is very sharp and competent but the court transcripts sound like she wasn’t well prepared. She may also have thought the case would go in her favor or it would be dismissed. I have a feeling it will turn out to be shoddy bookkeeping rather than something criminal. 

There was a DCP member who used to comment quite a bit on all matters 27th. He knew all the details of an earlier case regarding who owned the 27th Lancer name. It was a hard fought battle but George B won with the support of his children. This is probably the reason why how to best remember 27th is so important to the family and why how to remember it is so contentious. The sad thing is that both daughters are great at honoring the memory of George B. and 27th. Patte keeps alums connected, remembers birthdays of alums, posts about the corps’ history, reaches out via FB when someone passes, and works to bring together a fractious alumni. Denise honors through scholarships for future teachers and her father by profession was an elementary school teacher. Both are honoring the man’s legacy. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bob984 said:

Ok - thanks.  This makes sense.  I knew she was at Cadets but I didn't realize she was their fundraising/money person.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra