7. Cavaliers

8. Cadets

9. Phantom

10. Mandarins

11. Crossmen

12. Colts (!!!)

13. Blue Knights

14. Madison

The heck with placements. What an incredible group of shows 1-14. Loving every single production so far. 

Edited by RContra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Of course GE or Visual isn't guaranteed yet. We are only five freaking days removed from Independence Day lol. 

The spread between BD and SCV is nearly two points. Sorry dude but that is not close. And BD has slowly opened that gap every show except for Tempe. 

BD has taken 105 out of a possible 120 captions/subcaptions over SCV in five head to head matchups. 

Can things change.......yes. Could SCV surge and catch and pass BD..........sure they could. We have seen all types of crazy things happen over the years thru out a DCI season. After all it's only July 9th.

But we are talking about what has happened to this point. So let's stop with this notion that SCV is nip and tuck with BD. Cause to this point, BD has absolutely dominated them, and the scores and recaps show it.  

You are correct with everything that you said, but I'm not comfortable (and anyone else should be too) with that 2 point lead which includes 105 out of possible 120 captions/subcaptions over SCV to call it the season and to hand them the championship after four/five viewings. This show should be at least a 5 point lead at this point of the season (especially since SCV had an incomplete show with no focal idea at this moment. Is BD show good, YES! Tons of multiple focus, tons of layering, but it's still choppy, disconnected, odd transitions and the show is no where near clean for BD visual and colorguard standards. Will they smooth out the transitions, I hope so! They have a talented staff and phenomenal performers and lots of tricks up their sleeves.  It will be a dogfight no matter what, once you add Carolina Crown, Boston Crusaders and Bluecoats into the mix. Just my 2 cents! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

I find the storyline of 6-10 ish to be really exciting.  How far can mandarins go? How far will cavies fall? Will phantom get jumped and held back even with a fan fav show? Can cadets hold back BS and the rest and claim 6th but the momentum for all is really building. So exciting with this mid tier group. I think I’m most excited for Mandarins since they were not close to this position just a short few years ago. Would love to see them really excel this year! Would also like to see them tour in the east next season so we can watch them as their show grows up close and in person. 
Cadets, Mandarins, BS, Cavies, PR 

Edited by Den8uml
  • Like 4

I still think in terms of "top 6" and "top 12", and I see the scores pretty tight this year from the highest to about 8th or 9th place.

It's going to take a regional to truly figure out where all the corps stand.

• Like 3

My latest guesses:

tier 1 - BD, Crown, Boston

tier 2 - Bloo, SCV, Cadets

tier 3 - Cavies, Mandarins, Stars

tier 4 - Phantom (sigh), X-men, Colts

• Like 2

The only corps I’m fully confident will be top 3 is BD and likely they will be 1 or 2, not 3.  After that, I think it’s a big battle between Bloo, BAC, Crown and SCV for medaling.  I don’t see SCV taking 1st but I think the other 3 have a shot.  This is all based on judging to date and not my untrained eye/ear.

• Like 2

At this point in the season, there are some expectations and predictions coming to fruition and a few unexpected developments literally no one could have seen coming. I want to address those first. 

1) The tenacity of excellence - Blue Devils, as expected, has a younger group, but I did not expect their program to be so purely entertaining and accessible. It connects with the audience in a manner I have not felt since "Metamorph" and "Phenomenon of Cool". Their brass book has motifs of 80s and 90s Blue Devils' iconic jazz and their visual program has considerably more straightforward marching than in previous years. Their staff is willing these performers to win with a fantastically programmed show. If they do not place first, it will be because Boston, Crown or the Bluecoats earn the championship, not because BD loses. The Devils lose nothing this year. Now, if you think Boston is not going to challenge for the title, please have a look at their color guard and integration of all captions into an organic flowing program. They will be close. 

2) I told you so - So will gloat first before I eat humble pie later. I was very confident that Boston and Mandarins had challenged themselves during the pandemic seasons, and they would benefit from it. Boston is sitting in 3rd-4th in score rankings currently and the only way it will change is if Bluecoats or BD max out their shows before finals. Boston and Crown will rise in that case. The Mandarins had an aggressiveness in their exhibition year I had not seen from them before, and their meteoric rise was in no jeopardy of fizzling out. I knew they were going up the ladder but I did not know how far. Now.....potentially...6th? What a great result that would be from a great corps with this years' most entertaining show. I also noted that the Colts could break out, and they are scary close to jumping over Blue Knights to lock down 12th place. They have the show to do it. Right now, they seem as if they are still trying to nail everything and are not organically performing the show like it is instinctive. Once they gel and let the heart & determination take over, watch out. 

3) I TOTALLY blew it - Phantom. Ya killin' me Smalls. All captions are going as expected, EXCEPT for visual proficiency. Phantom is trailing Blue Stars by THREE POINTS in visual proficiency alone, finishing last in their contests this weekend, out-marched by Madison and Colts!!! If not for that one subcaption, Regiment would be sitting in 7th right now. I never figured for one second these kids would struggle with marching after an amazing effort last year. That being said, finals is still a lock of PR, but I have to back up off that top-6 finish prediction a bit. Some reasons for optimism: they were hit very hard by COVID that cost them 4 days, and this early in the season, the visuals are still very cleanable. They will stage a comeback on visuals. Some drill rewrites and helping these kids with circles and boxes should help them quite a bit. They should finish above Crossmen if they max out. Madison Scouts, from a programming perspective, have done a 180 from their aggressive, powerful exhibition show last year and gone more avant-garde, which doesn't fit them. They are struggling in GE and visual. I predicted they were a shoo-in for finals - it doesn't seem that way now. 

Prediction reset

I will probably do one more round of this analysis in early August, but here's how it is shaping up now:

1) Carolina Crown

2) Blue Devils

3) Boston Crusaders

4) Bluecoats

5) Cadets

6) Mandarins

7) Santa Clara Vanguard (I love you both Jim & Dawn Reed; your percussionist son is NOT the problem here - the pit is marvelous)

😎 Cavaliers

9) Blue Stars

10) Phantom Regiment

11) Crossmen

12) Colts

13) Blue Knights

14) Troopers (they're just dirty right now - their show is fire)

15) Madison Scouts

16) The Academy

17) Music City

18) Pacific Crest

19) Genesis

20) Jersey Surf

Until next time, squirts............

Edited by radiosteele
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/9/2022 at 11:15 PM, Box5Opinion said:

I've seen Blue Devils several times and they do have some design issues too. Yes they are beating SCV, but the point spread is close and SCV is struggling with their show and it's nowhere near complete or clean. No one is guaranteed to take GE or Visual yet!!! As for guard, Boston Crusaders, Bluecoats, Carolina Crown are in the hunt! Percussion is still up in the air. Brass looks likely a Carolina Crown, but anything can happen. Just my 2 cents! 

A 2.2 point spread with SCV is close? 

• Like 2