Escalating fuel cost and its impact on the 2022 tour

DCFAN

7 hours ago, Swamptihs said:

In my state first time ever gas prices has hit 4 dollars a gallon for regular unleaded in many locations. Lets just say I am in a place where gas prices are the lowest in the nation always. It is getting ugly with no peak in site. 

I would like for the Nobel laureate economists to chime in with some statements on these rising fuel costs. 

They would point to supply and demand, correctly so.  Presidents and economists don't dictate how much oil is produced by oil companies. Oil companies do.  People who live more or less personally gasoline-free lives (because they use alternative transport methods) don't drive demand, hence prices. People who have cars do.

BTW,  the same economists would point out that anyone who drives around in a 4500 lb truck that gets 20-23mpg on the highway, but could easily be swapped for a 2800 lb passenger car that gets 38 mpg on the highway has already stated that they don't care about the cost of fuel, since they're blowing 1/3 more fuel for every mile than someone who chose differently. Seeing some of those same people kvetching about rising gas prices now by showing pics of a pump with 27 gallons of gas being purchased for their personal ride is a very low form of comedy.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Slingerland said:

They would point to supply and demand, correctly so.  Presidents and economists don't dictate how much oil is produced by oil companies. Oil companies do.  People who live more or less personally gasoline-free lives (because they use alternative transport methods) don't drive demand, hence prices. People who have cars do.

BTW,  the same economists would point out that anyone who drives around in a 4500 lb truck that gets 20-23mpg on the highway, but could easily be swapped for a 2800 lb passenger car that gets 38 mpg on the highway has already stated that they don't care about the cost of fuel, since they're blowing 1/3 more fuel for every mile than someone who chose differently. Seeing some of those same people kvetching about rising gas prices now by showing pics of a pump with 27 gallons of gas being purchased for their personal ride is a very low form of comedy.

Maybe you are a little hangry? Here, have a Snickers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Maybe you are a little hangry? Here, have a Snickers.

For real.  I drive a four cylinder CRV.  I’m not going to drive a tiny car for the same reason I don’t go on motorcycle.  I value my life enough to not want to end up a greasy spot on the highway. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

For real.  I drive a four cylinder CRV.  I’m not going to drive a tiny car for the same reason I don’t go on motorcycle.  I value my life enough to not want to end up a greasy spot on the highway. 

Bought the Forester (Subaru SUV) because it was the perfect height for Kris and her bad leg to get in and out. Only had a 5-6 mile commute when I worked and live in town so don’t crank up the miles. Plan to travel so will just have to budget more for gas and stick to Hampton Inns free breakfast 😆

• Like 1

Today in Southern CaliforniaUnicornia:

$6.65 - Regular Unleaded, $6.95 - "Special" Unleaded, and $7.25 for Premium Unleaded

Besides these high prices, what irritates me the most is that this gas was already in the ground well before Ukraine was invaded.  At this rate I will soon need a Home Equity Line of Credit to fill my car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is exactly what the anti oil/gas crowd wants. Force people into electric cars...even though the cost to own and operate an electric car will exceed the cost of a gasoline vehicle.  I give a lot of credit to Elon Musk for being in favor of the US increasing oil production, which actually harms his EV business. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

didn't pay attention to prices today while in South Jersey but at a Shell station across the street from a Lukoil, they had a sign that said "our gas isn't from Russia". they had far more cars than Lukoil too

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

Some people that own 4500 lb. trucks haul 2800 Lb. cars out of ditches, plow snow, haul equipment that builds, repairs, and services vehicles and homes.  They in many cases live in areas where the short wheelbase 2800 Lb cars ( or less ) are useless.  of course if you live in Montpelier, Cambridge, Asheville, Austin, or Berkeley you have no problem !   Where i am, our low temp was -34 below, and we are still buried in snow.  We are not the " last of the good listeners "   Some people prefer to not have their young children at ground level when they are T-Boned by some imbecile. We will leave that up to the Pontificators

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1