THE CADETS 2022 SHOW

20 hours ago, ykw said:

The show's "Rear View Mirror" theme is inspired by Jack Kerouac -- the "narration" is his prose

That’s fine, but slightly less of Kerouac means more Cadets, which on balance would be an improvement. 

15 hours ago, George Dixon said:

geez - I disagree. They've got a great shot at 7th this season that qualifies as "near the top six" if my math is correct; I'm not" in love" with the design, but I think it's solid particularly musically which is better than Boston's IMO 

2018 they were 7th and closer to 6th then to 8th if I remember, but still on an island. 

50 minutes ago, Icer said:

That’s fine, but slightly less of Kerouac means more Cadets, which on balance would be an improvement. 

The "look Beatniks!" and "New York City" along with "My East...and West..." among other lines are great! You need the other narration to make those iconic lines work. I am not a fan of the total narration shows (BD said they learned their lesson after Yowza Yowza Yowza!") but it seems to work with this Cadet show.... for now.

23 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

Revising and extending my remarks a bit (with the explicit note that while I am deliberately being provocative, I'm also eager to learn more of the lore if I'm missing something): have Cadets really had more than the three innovations, ever? Like, my understanding of the history specifically from an innovation perspective is that In the early 1970s they decided "what if we made an explicitly anti-war statement while competing in VFW/AL," in 1982/1983/1984, they decided "what if we moved fast," and in the mid-2000s they decided "what if we talked too," and that's...basically it?

It's not like Cadets brought forward things like asymmetric drill, or shows with storylines, or expanding the range of possible musical selections to include things like Barber and Bartok or completely-original compositions, or spending money.

Even customizing the uniform to be show-specific (2005, and then Crown starting in 2007) was something Star did first (taking the plaid sash from the 1989 show off and replacing it with the Romanesque sash for 1990 and 1991).

Laying it out I'm almost certain I have to be missing something...what am I missing here?

2 contra-bass horns, early 60's.

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

Just saw the props…. oooff not good

in person? I personally thought they look very well made and not overly massive aka made for tv style

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

I wonder if Cadets will beat Cavies?  If Cadets can get really clean. - who knows!

depends as much on Cavaliers as Cadets... 

1 hour ago, Icer said:

I thought the narration is among the best that's been done, maybe one or two things could be trimmed, but I mostly like it

1 hour ago, njthundrrd said:

The "look Beatniks!" and "New York City" along with "My East...and West..." among other lines are great! You need the other narration to make those iconic lines work. I am not a fan of the total narration shows (BD said they learned their lesson after Yowza Yowza Yowza!") but it seems to work with this Cadet show.... for now.

the guys who did the narration is so good, I'm not generally a fan but I think it works well