THE CADETS 2022 SHOW

16 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

I know they’ve been through a lot. However, I’m not sure me donating my money or time will impact show design choices. I’m pretty sure they aren’t hiring me to be in the design team or are asking my opinion. However, as a spectator and a fan I can still have an opinion.

If their goal is to just be happy to exist and appease alumni who want it to be like it was “back in my day” for financial support that is fine. I’m just stating that in the big picture of things, I feel like what it meant to be a Cadet was to be an innovator in the activity and programming choices that pushed the envelope. I think they can do both but playing and moving fast behind a bunch of narration is a bit stale of a design concept and will only take them so far.

I don’t think it’s worth getting offended over but if they want to get back out of the bottom 6 they’ll need to figure out a way to keep up with the others.

The choice to use heavy narration and wear sweat suits is questionable. Both distract from an otherwise much improved corps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gbass598 said:

Good because that is about all they've got to get it right.

This could be an unpopular opinion but I feel like the Cadets are holding on to tradition quite a bit too much and not evolving with the activity. Cadets used to be the innovators who broke new ground. Now that title seems to belong to the Bluecoats and Carolina Crown.  I feel like they are still trying to be the Cadets of 2011 and before but in track suits instead of shakos.

4 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

I kind of agree.  Why not have a costume that better matched the theme of the show. Those printed t-shorts look cheap. 

I love the show and am so happy that they are on their way back but the corps uniforms seem a cop out (maybe to appease the alumni?

Yeah, don't blame Alumni for their design choices. Many have already accepted the fact that there's no going back to the "way things used to be." Alumni have donated and supported Cadets even before they knew what the "uniforms" were going to be. Many are just glad the Cadets are still around. 

I agree with some of what you've posted, but given what's happened to them relatively recently, I'm willing to give them a chance. We'll see what happens throughout the season and further down the line before I start giving them a lot of crap for their design choices. 

• Like 2

After watching the show (video, not live) and FWIW:

- Good job of arranging. Nice showcase of brass.

- Percussion is simply beast. So many great features.

- Uniforms - very subjective. Some will like, some not. I don’t see that as being a big deal either way.

- Drill seemed a bit frantic at times. Opportunity for this to evolve as the season progresses. Less running, more coordinated movement. 

- Voiceover - If there is a way they can take out some of the narration that is not central to the story, it will showcase the music and marching more. 

Overall a good start considering what every corps has been through. 

• Like 2

Enjoyed the show. Not sure about the uniforms, Will take a little while to grow on me. Maybe changes coming. Big disappointment is the cheap looking props again. I'm sure they load and unload from the trucks in a snap but just looks cheap and are lost during the show. Do nothing for GE. Come on Cadets you can do better. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Yeah, don't blame Alumni for their design choices. Many have already accepted the fact that there's no going back to the "way things used to be." Alumni have donated and supported Cadets even before they knew what the "uniforms" were going to be. Many are just glad the Cadets are still around. 

I agree with some of what you've posted, but given what's happened to them relatively recently, I'm willing to give them a chance. We'll see what happens throughout the season and further down the line before I start giving them a lot of crap for their design choices. 

I think we agree in principle. I'm not hung up on uniforms. My point was I think you could have done the same show 10 years ago in the standard uniform and shako and it wouldn't make a difference.

Maybe I'm saying uniforms/costuming doesn't really matter but the general nuts and bolts of the design process seem very similar to something they would have done 10 years ago.

13 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

Enjoyed the show. Not sure about the uniforms, Will take a little while to grow on me. Maybe changes coming. Big disappointment is the cheap looking props again. I'm sure they load and unload from the trucks in a snap but just looks cheap and are lost during the show. Do nothing for GE. Come on Cadets you can do better. 

They should use what's in your avatar. 

7 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

I think we agree in principle. I'm not hung up on uniforms. My point was I think you could have done the same show 10 years ago in the standard uniform and shako and it wouldn't make a difference.

Maybe I'm saying uniforms/costuming doesn't really matter but the general nuts and bolts of the design process seem very similar to something they would have done 10 years ago.

I just want them to be great. Hopefully they can get there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gbass598 said:

I know they’ve been through a lot. However, I’m not sure me donating my money or time will impact show design choices. I’m pretty sure they aren’t hiring me to be in the design team or are asking my opinion. However, as a spectator and a fan I can still have an opinion.

If their goal is to just be happy to exist and appease alumni who want it to be like it was “back in my day” for financial support that is fine. I’m just stating that in the big picture of things, I feel like what it meant to be a Cadet was to be an innovator in the activity and programming choices that pushed the envelope. I think they can do both but playing and moving fast behind a bunch of narration is a bit stale of a design concept and will only take them so far.

I don’t think it’s worth getting offended over but if they want to get back out of the bottom 6 they’ll need to figure out a way to keep up with the others.

First you have to build the car, THEN you can discuss exciting places to take it.

It's a bit of a contradiction as you're saying they need to ditch the past, but you are also saying they need to be innovative because they used to be... 

I think I get what you're saying, believe me, but they're just not "there yet"

Edited by George Dixon

39 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

First you have to build the car, THEN you can discuss exciting places to take it.

It's a bit of a contradiction as you're saying they need to ditch the past, but you are also saying they need to be innovative because they used to be... 

I think I get what you're saying, believe me, but they're just not "there yet"

I understand you. I also think those things started to get stagnant before the George scandal. Maybe even in coordination with Gino and Colin leaving. In any event, I will always enjoy hearing a Tom Aungst drumline. It is their strong point right now. I'd love to see them rebound as I've always enjoyed them. As I tell my own drumline students, Rome wasn't built in a day. I completely see how they need to rebuild from an organizational standpoint but I hope they can continue to evolve from a creative standpoint in coordination with that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

I understand you. I also think those things started to get stagnant before the George scandal. Maybe even in coordination with Gino and Colin leaving. In any event, I will always enjoy hearing a Tom Aungst drumline. It is their strong point right now. I'd love to see them rebound as I've always enjoyed them. As I tell my own drumline students, Rome wasn't built in a day. I completely see how they need to rebuild from an organizational standpoint but I hope they can continue to evolve from a creative standpoint in coordination with that.

Absolutely THIS