THE CADETS 2022 SHOW

• I feel this show has the potential to be "better designed" (subjective!) than a lot of Cadets shows in the 2000s: 2008, 2010, 2013-2019, and maybe 2003-2004 and 2012.
  • As they're backing up to the corner in the ballad, I wish the rearview mirror narration line lined up with when they turn backfield after marching backward.
  • I wish we can get away from ending every Cadets show with a company front.
  • The musician uniforms look baggy. I'm not sure how the look they're going for lines up with beatnik style at all.
  • The brass and percussion writing is very tasty this year, and so glad Jay is back - they haven't sounded like this since 2016.
  • Pleasantly surprised by the drill so far, wasn't convinced about what Jon could do.
  • Can't quite tell about guard design, if it's "impressive" enough, but they seem quite clean at this stage.
  • I don't mind the props, and I like most of the narration.
Edited by chris ncsu
  • Like 2

Extremely impressed by this show. Reminds me of the Cadets I grew up with (late 90s onward) — or rather, where they would be today. There were some iffy design years in there more recently, obviously, but this show picks up as if none of that happened. Very cool. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Extremely impressed by this show. Reminds me of the Cadets I grew up with (late 90s onward) — or rather, where they would be today. There were some iffy design years in there more recently, obviously, but this show picks up as if none of that happened. Very cool. 

thanks, the compliments on design mean even more coming from Kanye West.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

The "look Beatniks!" and "New York City" along with "My East...and West..." among other lines are great! You need the other narration to make those iconic lines work. I am not a fan of the total narration shows (BD said they learned their lesson after Yowza Yowza Yowza!") but it seems to work with this Cadet show.... for now.

Cadets narration is great this year. I think that in their annoyance over it, people forget that BD’s Yowza guy didn’t have nearly as many lines as what you hear today, and he almost never spoke over the brass line. He was  there for a little extra color, like a real derby announcer. He’s still the standard for me because he was so in-character that he almost could have been a pro and his lines worked to hype up the music for effect. 

When I think about narration that simply doesn’t work, Cadets 2008 unfortunately comes to mind. Truly never understood how that got as far as it did. Cadets this year seem to have struck the right balance for a show with a lot of talk. Good voice acting, solid lines, blends into the show.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chris ncsu said:
  • I feel this show has the potential to be "better designed" (subjective!) than a lot of Cadets shows in the 2000s: 2008, 2010, 2013-2019, and maybe 2003-2004 and 2012.
  • As they're backing up to the corner in the ballad, I wish the rearview mirror narration line lined up with when they turn backfield after marching backward.
  • I wish we can get away from ending every Cadets show with a company front.
  • The musician uniforms look baggy. I'm not sure how the look they're going for lines up with beatnik style at all.
  • The brass and percussion writing is very tasty this year, and so glad Jay is back - they haven't sounded like this since 2016.
  • Pleasantly surprised by the drill so far, wasn't convinced about what Jon could do.
  • Can't quite tell about guard design, if it's "impressive" enough, but they seem quite clean at this stage.
  • I don't mind the props, and I like most of the narration.

I think this is the best guard they have had since 2017.  It isn't going to win but will probably place around the same place as the corps (6th? 7th?).  It isn't breaking any new ground but they are well staged and just need to get clean.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Cadets narration is great this year. I think that in their annoyance over it, people forget that BD’s Yowza guy didn’t have nearly as many lines as what you hear today, and he almost never spoke over the brass line. He was  there for a little extra color, like a real derby announcer. He’s still the standard for me because he was so in-character that he almost could have been a pro and his lines worked to hype up the music for effect. 

When I think about narration that simply doesn’t work, Cadets 2008 unfortunately comes to mind. Truly never understood how that got as far as it did. Cadets this year seem to have struck the right balance for a show with a lot of talk. Good voice acting, solid lines, blends into the show.  

I mentioned this in the Crown thread a few days ago...I would be surprised if any of the top corps are still use actual human voices to do any narrations.  There are really impressive computer programs out there where the corps selects the voice (male/female, British accent,  Jersey accent, etc) and they just type in the text and out it comes,  perfect every time.   "YOU HAVE BEEN FOUND GUILTY OF WITCHCRAFT!" Etc.

Either way, I like this narration and it actually sounds to me a bit like Matthew Broderick's narration in the movie Boynton Beach from the 90s.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, craiga said:

I mentioned this in the Crown thread a few days ago...I would be surprised if any of the top corps are still use actual human voices to do any narrations.  There are really impressive computer programs out there where the corps selects the voice (male/female, British accent,  Jersey accent, etc) and they just type in the text and out it comes,  perfect every time.   "YOU HAVE BEEN FOUND GUILTY OF WITCHCRAFT!" Etc.

Either way, I like this narration and it actually sounds to me a bit like Matthew Broderick's narration in the movie Boynton Beach from the 90s.

interesting tidbit > this narration is actually laid down by Cadets lead audio/electronics/front ensemble guy acting out the script drawn from the poetry (every word) while mimicking the actual voice of Kerouac - it's very well done, guys talented. 

you can check out samples of the poet readings here - voice is uncanny Jack Kerouac - Readings by Jack Kerouac on the Beat Generation Album Reviews, Songs & More | AllMusic

• Like 3

I have now watched the entire show 3 times on video (last competition).  I did not get a great read on the drill as the video was about midway up the stands.  It was very difficult to get a read on the guard.  I don't know if it is because of the video location, color scheme, or guard placement on the field.