Santa Clara Vanguard 2022

Get it SCV!  Seeing this show twice in person is so different than watching online.  We were skeptical at first but this show has grown on us through the first month of the season.  Their guard is quite talented besides the conversations of getting lost in the visual design.  I was even vocal and skeptical on their new arranger and perhaps I still am but it's all coming together.  I was impressed how well the transitions were thought out but we all know what this design team is capable of.  This is definitely a show I'll enjoy listening to after the season is over.  My first corps this year where I was meh at the beginning but now a fan of.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Get it SCV!  Seeing this show twice in person is so different than watching online.  We were skeptical at first but this show has grown on us through the first month of the season.  Their guard is quite talented besides the conversations of getting lost in the visual design.  I was even vocal and skeptical on their new arranger and perhaps I still am but it's all coming together.  I was impressed how well the transitions were thought out but we all know what this design team is capable of.  This is definitely a show I'll enjoy listening to after the season is over.  My first corps this year where I was meh at the beginning but now a fan of.  

Being (essentially) a lifelong fan - first saw them in '74 - I'm feeling the same way.  Full disclosure - I have only seen video to date and that will likely be my only venue this year (they are not coming to the Akron show).  I am all for the softer, sophisticated Vanguard that we've experienced in the past and I really hope this comes together to a high enough degree.  There are times where (to me) this show feels like an assemblage of exercises/moments designed for scoring, and the "magic" of how they're all tied together just doesn't seem to be there.  I'm also struggling with all the posing / tumbling / etc being done by the hornline - I get the feeling that they're not being used enough as the primary musical source and "it's all about the visual".

Regardless, I still love this corps and am truly disappointed that I will not get to see them in person.

One other observation - is there no Star being worn on the unis this year?

• Like 1