DCI Central Indiana (Muncie) July 1

6 minutes ago, jaylogan said:

Subtle? Didn’t they kill people in that show? Didn’t they stab the drum major and take his place? I don’t know that I’d use subtle as the word to describe Phantom’s attempts to appeal to the crowd, but maybe there were some things I forgot.

Subtle in the sense that they didn't ask over a speaker system to get the crowd involved. Subtle in the sense that the objective was to tell a story and tell it well. Of course, they wanted to entertain the crowd, but that show was a complete vision. It's sole objective wasn't to get the crowd into it. The crowd got into it because it was magnificently told and magnificently performed.

Crown doesn't need to ask the crowd to clap or become involved. It's got great music, great visuals and a great guard. None of the voiceovers make any sense and they just aren't necessary.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

Ok, on the road back from Muncie. I’m sorry if I am saying things that have already been said about the Crown app.

Cool concept and I appreciate it. It was a tall order and they came up with some creative ways to utilize it. Pulling off this tech is tough!……. but….

I hate it. There were a few things to like about it and the initial impact was neat. What I HATED was that it didn’t work. Most people disconnected from the show. I estimate roughly 15-20% of the people in my section (dead center) were still connected by the end of the show. We had lights randomly going off and flashing at unintended times and it was SO DISTRACTING! A lady behind me had Carolina On My Mind go off in the middle of the show randomly. People were having text tones go off in the middle of the show. It was a train wreck. Plenty of people just gave up and put their phone away.

And the worst part of all…. You’ve conditioned the audience to pull out their phones, turn up the volume, and be distracted from the performance. And I’m not sure if anybody thought about what happens for the next corps, where everyone has pulled out their phones and turned up the volume. Are people really going to remember to mute before the next performance? I think not.

I am a huge believer in out of the box and am so glad somebody tried this out. Kudos to Crown for giving it a shot. My one time reaction is that it failed and I hope to not see it again. I hope it’s either removed or fixed by championships.

Kids were great and I applaud their efforts. Sorry to be so negative, but I am CLEARLY bothered! 😜

Interesting take.  But at home that CC show was amazing!

Edited by spacewill
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

When you look at some of the sub captions, no way Crown was only 3 pts ahead of Cavies. I think Crown beats Bloo this weekend. 

What are you basing it on that Crown should be more than 3 points ahead of Cavaliers? I happen to trust a group of people that are much more qualified than I to give Crown and Cavies the correct scores.

Crown may beat Bluecoats this weekend, but I don't think so. Even if they do, it won't last long. Bluecoats show design is miles better than Crown's (at least based on what the judges like). I like Crown's show, overall, more than Bluecoats, but liking something and what the judges do are two completely different things. I've learned that the hard way, it it took many times and many disappointments for me to learn that lesson.

To me Crown tops Bluecoats musically, but Bluecoats destroy them visually and from an overall concept and design point of view.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I think Crown's show is 4th, 3rd at best. I think Bluecoats and Devils are going to run away with this and it is going to be a two-man race.

So many interesting takes, but no way the two blues are top.  Crowns show has way more to it and has more to clean up than either blue.  If crown can keep cleaning it up then this show can get them their 2nd title.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Yeah, I think them getting the crowd to engage the way they want is just confusion and will not be successful. 

Nope, give them 6 weeks and by finals the crowd will know exactly how to respond!

• Like 1

Just now, spacewill said:

So many interesting takes, but no way the two blues are top.  Crowns show has way more to it and has more to clean up than either blue.  If crown can keep cleaning it up then this show can get them their 2nd title.

We had two Blues on top in 2019 and I think it's going to be a repeat of that this year. I thought the same thing about Crown in 2019 - they have so much more clean then either Blue and they couldn't climb out of 4th. Why? Because of design. It's the same problem this year. Design.

• Haha 1

Just now, spacewill said:

Nope, give them 6 weeks and by finals the crowd will know exactly how to respond!

But the crowd should have to be taught how to respond. It should come naturally, and it's best to come naturally. I think this is going to be a problem for them all season. Aside from Night Beat, their appeals to clap are going to fall on deaf years. If I was at the show, I'd think, "awkward."

The Blue Devils and the Bluecoats are probably the two best corps at adding to their show throughout the season and pacing as to not peak too early. I find it ridiculous and naive to say that those two shows can’t go as far as crowns. If crown is to win gold, they will have to earn it and it will not be easy. Their path to winning gold will have to be through winning multiple non-GE captions imo and hoping that the GE gap isn’t too large to overcome 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

But the crowd should have to be taught how to respond. It should come naturally, and it's best to come naturally. I think this is going to be a problem for them all season. Aside from Night Beat, their appeals to clap are going to fall on deaf years. If I was at the show, I'd think, "awkward."

Maybe, maybe they tweak it.  Either way I found the playing and marching to be the best so far.  I know people keep saying the blues, but I dont find anything interesting with either the bluecoats or devils and found crown to be downright amazing.  But its always about what judges want.

• Like 1