DCI Central Indiana (Muncie) July 1

Just now, crownisking said:

I’m going to admit my bias here. It just didn’t quite sit with me right that THIS was the show to break a record. Of all the BA shows that I’ve loved so much, this one did nothing for me and the judges obviously disagreed. I dunno. Maybe I’m in the minority but the theme still doesn’t connect for me. 

Not taking anything away from the kids. My gripe is with the design. 

Breaking Hebron’s record as a matter of fact😂 it didn’t do much for me either honestly, Hebron actually spoiled me so much ‘cause I really loved the arrangements of the winds, haven’t had a program for a show yet for DCI this season that does it for me like theirs did, I don’t even know if seeing them in person later this season will change my tune either!

1 minute ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Yes BD is definitely into the theater of it all and they’ve even, appropriately, made entire shows about that. But Crown has literally raided BOA’s closets this year, and ultimately they’re no less theatrical, going so far as to break the 4th wall. That’s drama club stuff.

And good for them! Whatever! Again, I like Crown’s show. But I think the people rooting for them should maybe leave other corps styles out of it, honestly, because even the app is a borrowed idea. 

let's face it there's not much "new" anymore

8 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Exactly. God, Spartacus pulled that crowd in with the subtlest attempt to do so. They didn't have to try and talk the crowd into participating. Hopefully, Crown will quickly realize that won't work and yank it.

Subtle? Didn’t they kill people in that show? Didn’t they stab the drum major and take his place? I don’t know that I’d use subtle as the word to describe Phantom’s attempts to appeal to the crowd, but maybe there were some things I forgot.

• Like 1

Just now, jaylogan said:

Subtle? Didn’t they kill people in that show? Didn’t they stab the drum major and take his place? I don’t know that I’d use subtle as the word to describe Phantom’s attempts to appeal to the crowd, but maybe there were some things I forgot.

They didn’t have a voice over going “hey everyone, please cheer “I am Spartacus” at the appropriate moment of the show!” 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Yes BD is definitely into the theater of it all and they’ve even, appropriately, made entire shows about that. But Crown has literally raided BOA’s closets this year, and ultimately they’re no less theatrical, going so far as to break the 4th wall. That’s drama club stuff.

And good for them! Whatever! Again, I like Crown’s show. But I think the people rooting for them should maybe leave other corps styles out of it, honestly, because even the app is a borrowed idea. 

Well said. All these groups life and borrow from each other and Broadway and BOA, etc....

People just hate BD because they win all the time. I know, I used to be one of them. I still hate that they win all the time, or at all, haha, but I've left my bias around and see things for what they are - BD wins all the time because they are the best, and until you beat them head to head you ain't the best.

I am sticking with it being a BD-Bloo showdown. They have the two best designed shows, by far this year. No one else comes close.

• Haha 2

Ok, on the road back from Muncie. I’m sorry if I am saying things that have already been said about the Crown app.

Cool concept and I appreciate it. It was a tall order and they came up with some creative ways to utilize it. Pulling off this tech is tough!……. but….

I hate it. There were a few things to like about it and the initial impact was neat. What I HATED was that it didn’t work. Most people disconnected from the show. I estimate roughly 15-20% of the people in my section (dead center) were still connected by the end of the show. We had lights randomly going off and flashing at unintended times and it was SO DISTRACTING! A lady behind me had Carolina On My Mind go off in the middle of the show randomly. People were having text tones go off in the middle of the show. It was a train wreck. Plenty of people just gave up and put their phone away.

And the worst part of all…. You’ve conditioned the audience to pull out their phones, turn up the volume, and be distracted from the performance. And I’m not sure if anybody thought about what happens for the next corps, where everyone has pulled out their phones and turned up the volume. Are people really going to remember to mute before the next performance? I think not.

I am a huge believer in out of the box and am so glad somebody tried this out. Kudos to Crown for giving it a shot. My one time reaction is that it failed and I hope to not see it again. I hope it’s either removed or fixed by championships.

Kids were great and I applaud their efforts. Sorry to be so negative, but I am CLEARLY bothered! 😜

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Breaking Hebron’s record as a matter of fact😂 it didn’t do much for me either honestly, Hebron actually spoiled me so much ‘cause I really loved the arrangements of the winds, haven’t had a program for a show yet for DCI this season that does it for me like theirs did, I don’t even know if seeing them in person later this season will change my tune either!

I thought it was the best BOA show ever, execution was just off the charts, extremely well designed IMO

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

So Bloo 4.1 up on Cavies on Tuesday and Crown up by 3.25 tonight.

Tomorrow night should be interesting.

Good seats available for "Innovations In Brass: Northeast Ohio"  Come out and see the first head to head with these two great corps.

When you look at some of the sub captions, no way Crown was only 3 pts ahead of Cavies. I think Crown beats Bloo this weekend. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Big Bird said:

They didn’t have a voice over going “hey everyone, please cheer “I am Spartacus” at the appropriate moment of the show!” 

That’s true. You definitely have a point there.

1 minute ago, jaylogan said:

they literally spent six weeks of the season coaching and coaxing the crowd along, murdering the DM at East pushed them over the edge - it was about as subtle as a sledgehammer 

• Like 3