DCI Central Indiana (Muncie) July 1

10 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

So Bloo 4.1 up on Cavies on Tuesday and Crown up by 3.25 tonight.

Tomorrow night should be interesting.

Good seats available for "Innovations In Brass: Northeast Ohio"  Come out and see the first head to head with these two great corps.

Interesting for sure. Cavaliers had a much better (and complete) run tonight which means benchmarking off them will be a little tricky. 

10 minutes ago, jaylogan said:

I like Crown’s show better than Bluecoats. I feel like it has more substance, and I’m not just referring to the fabric. Always a bit cheesy for me, but that’s Crown’s style. I really liked their 2019 show, though.

I like Crown's show better than Bluecoats too (from an entertainment perspective) but from a design perspective the Bluecoats show blows Crown's show away.

6 minutes ago, crownisking said:

I was fortunate to see Hebron live a number of times last year and I could go on and on about how good they were. It truly is a shame they didn’t go to Grand Nationals last year. Even though BA won it with the highest score ever recorded, I believe this would have been Hebron’s year. That show is oozing with GE and those kids can play like it’s nobody’s business. I’ve never seen so much internet hype over a high school band show.

Fully deserved, not saying this as a Hebron detractor, because it’s by FAR my favorite show that I’ve ever seen in person, their show was catered specifically to win UIL State, all the way down to 8 minute UIL max time requirement, they also won BOA SA just ‘cause their performance levels were that incredible even compared to their previous years. Compared to the like 12-13 minute behemoth that was Broken Arrow’s show, Hebron would have catered their production a bit more for Grand Nats in that respect alone. I would hope that if they just took their show as is they would win anyway, but I don’t think that would’ve been the case, even though I’d be screaming from the rooftops for that to be the case😂 got to see it in person several times as well!

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Exactly. God, Spartacus pulled that crowd in with the subtlest attempt to do so. They didn't have to try and talk the crowd into participating. Hopefully, Crown will quickly realize that won't work and yank it.

I wouldn't expect them to do that with Spartacus, if they'd did it, it would've been awkward.  Spartacus is a totally different show. 

Edited by rchitectburd23BD01

1 minute ago, rchitectburd23BD01 said:

I wouldn't expect them to do that with Spartacus, if they'd did it, it would've been awkward.  Spartacus is a totally different show. 

I get that, but the point is the way Crown's attempt is coming across is sort of like desperation. It's the wrong way to do it. They have that brass line and a fantastic color guard and an amazing drill. That's all they need to get the fans pumped up. I wish they would lose the voice overs all together. IMO they are just ineffective.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Fully deserved, not saying this as a Hebron detractor, because it’s by FAR my favorite show that I’ve ever seen in person, their show was catered specifically to win UIL State, all the way down to 8 minute UIL max time requirement, they also won BOA SA just ‘cause their performance levels were that incredible even compared to their previous years. Compared to the like 12-13 minute behemoth that was Broken Arrow’s show, Hebron would have catered their production a bit more for Grand Nats in that respect alone. I would hope that if they just took their show as is they would win anyway, but I don’t think that would’ve been the case, even though I’d be screaming from the rooftops for that to be the case😂 got to see it in person several times as well!

I’m going to admit my bias here. It just didn’t quite sit with me right that THIS was the show to break a record. Of all the BA shows that I’ve loved so much, this one did nothing for me and the judges obviously disagreed. I dunno. Maybe I’m in the minority but the theme still doesn’t connect for me. 

Not taking anything away from the kids. My gripe is with the design. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Letterman isn't Broadway, and fortunately he retired. BD's shoe thing was directly lifted from the stage - 3 out of last 5 programs they've lifted the big moment of their show from Broadway. And yes, the warm up is cheesy - deliberately so as the point of the show coming out of Covid IS HAVE FUN NOW, go ahead, act like a goof, swing from a Chandelier 

Yes BD is definitely into the theater of it all and they’ve even, appropriately, made entire shows about that. But Crown has literally raided BOA’s closets this year, and ultimately they’re no less theatrical, going so far as to break the 4th wall. That’s drama club stuff.

And good for them! Whatever! Again, I like Crown’s show. But I think the people rooting for them should maybe leave other corps styles out of it, honestly, because even the app is a borrowed idea. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’m watching the show backwards in order of performance and I LOVE Blue Stars show. My favorite so far of the night!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, treved said:

They’d still be two points back of cavies with a better percussion score. 

Check that math. If Perc scores what brass did tonight, they’re only .8 down. 

A pointless observation by me, I admit. lol Still - it’s interesting that 2/3 of this drum corps is somewhat hanging with one of the big dogs. 

• Like 1