DCI Central Indiana (Muncie) July 1

54 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Crossmen, I’m not sure about. Nice sound and show. Why the dramatic change to their look? Any of they’re recent looks, including the Aussies, would fit the show fine.

Crown stepped onto the field to lots of excitement. Crowd anxious for them. Sounded very good. Guard work made me wonder even more about Cavies. But the show is not my thing. In fact, on the drive back from Muncie this morning I began to realize the Bluecoats and Crown shows are nudging me away from much drum corps. The kids must like it all. Good for them. Many of you dig it. And drum corps needs to adapt to new interests and new fans. That adaptation always means shedding old things. Even old fans.

Fortunately, there are several corps that will keep me satisfied. I will give Crown a chance to grow on me, which may well be what happens.

Someone mentioned previously that Crossmen's new look may be related to the abandonment of the Maltese Cross. I'm not a fan of the new look myself (shakos, yuck), but I get the desire for a different direction. You only want to hang around 11th place for so long. 

I see all kinds of pro-Crown/not-so-pro-Crown posts. Same with Bloo. Are they too much shock and awe? I dunno...but for me personally, as was discussed in the Winning at all Costs thread, the bottom line is, did you entertain me and did I enjoy your show. I'll leave the placement predictions and good design/poor design debates to others. Crown and Bloo both succeeded quite well in engaging me and that's really all I care about, with a biased towards awfully well executing percussion sections, that is. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

BD has all of their fairly unique visual intricacies, and they definitely deserve all their props they’re given in that area, nearly untouchable in percussion, but their whole musical program doesn’t really blow me away and it doesn’t even really scream *GE MONSTER* that many would say it *clearly* is, at least to me. The changes they make will at least be well-thought out, but my overall impression is currently an “ehhh” with occasional “ooohs” mixed in.

This is me every year. I am never really much a fan of their musical program, but it's because I love classical music and enjoy those types of shows much better. I was a fool for a long time counting Devils out and I'm never going to make that mistake again.

I would LOVE to see them out of the top 3, but I don't think it's going to happen this year.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I also have on good authority that all the blue stars props are brand new. Also curious how comfy those sleds are because that would be a good nap spot. 

I think some folks rested on Crown's 2013 red bench during the season when it wasn't otherwise being used. 

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I have an iPhone 8.  I wonder if it’s too old to run the app?  I like the phone and I’m not getting rid of it until it ##### the bed.  I downloaded the app, though. 

Oh yeah, it'll work. I have a Motorola G Power 2021 and it works great. The issue is off brand phones, people not leaving their ring volume down and only needing to turn up their media volume, and people not giving the technology a chance to work properly and instead writing it off only a week after it released. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Stephan calls it fake hype. He said last night “too cheesy for me” what’s left to add to the design? Stephan likes cheese too. 

It felt to me like a 12 minute pre-show before a ride at EPCOT. A lot of theme park in the approach, and I've lived in Orlando for 26 years, so have some experience with that. lol 

The voiceover, the British accent, the somewhat stilted way the enthusiasm is written into the script. The constant entreaties to join in. It all seemed so familiar to me and then I realized this morning that all that was lacking was, "Ladies and gentlemen....Illuminations: Reflections of EARTH!" When you factor in that one of their key staff members is a huge Disney parks fan, well, there you go.

It will definitely appeal to a certain demographic of their fan base. From what I've seen, BD and Bloo have a much more cerebral approach (and SCV has too much of that), but there's no telling how any of it will end up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Someone mentioned previously that Crossmen's new look may be related to the abandonment of the Maltese Cross. I'm not a fan of the new look myself (shakos, yuck), but I get the desire for a different direction. You only want to hang around 11th place for so long. 

I see all kinds of pro-Crown/not-so-pro-Crown posts. Same with Bloo. Are they too much shock and awe? I dunno...but for me personally, as was discussed in the Winning at all Costs thread, the bottom line is, did you entertain me and did I enjoy your show. I'll leave the placement predictions and good design/poor design debates to others. Crown and Bloo both succeeded quite well in engaging me and that's really all I care about, with a biased towards awfully well executing percussion sections, that is. 

Agreed 100%. Am I fan of the sometimes overt gaps in drill and an emphasis on staging rather than moving and playing? No...not really. I like to see corps move and play. But that being said, the old park n' blow used to be a standard for corps. I always think about Madison playing Strawberry Soup in '83. 

Design it well and &^%^& it....use the props! Even if I don't "get it" I will still see the value in the GE side of it. 

• Like 1

Just want to throw this out there. Colts drill was better then Cavaliers drill. Same drill writer. Now, I know a lot plays into that, design teams, music, field set up. But Cavaliers look small and cramped most of the show. Colts, look like a full drum corps (which they are) the take up the entire field sometimes. My eye gets lead all over the field to different events. Seems like a big miss for Cavalier, and a big win for Colts. 

• Like 2

Anyone else have issues with the rebroadcast? How is it that I can play the live shows 100% fine but not a rebroadcast?

19 minutes ago, OldManCorpse said:

Just want to throw this out there. Colts drill was better then Cavaliers drill. Same drill writer. Now, I know a lot plays into that, design teams, music, field set up. But Cavaliers look small and cramped most of the show. Colts, look like a full drum corps (which they are) the take up the entire field sometimes. My eye gets lead all over the field to different events. Seems like a big miss for Cavalier, and a big win for Colts. 

Not seeing the small and cramped. Maybe a few sets but not the drill as a whole. Think it could be the lack of props as well, creating empty space backfield.

Edited by GREENBLUE

3 minutes ago, Luke4496 said:

Anyone else have issues with the rebroadcast? How is it that I can play the live shows 100% fine but not a rebroadcast?

Yep, it's really bad on my end and unwatchable.  I just turned it off.  I hope the live streams tonight are better.

• Like 1