Saturday, July 9th ... “CrownBEAT” … River Bluff High School – Lexington, SOUTH CAROLINA

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

Crown 81.85 << begs to differ

Against Boston tonight in a separate show. We'll see on the 19 when they all go head to head against the 19th Defendant champions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

wasn't a good run for Cadets, I didn't think so watching on Flo, scores confirm - they should clean and stop making constant little changes jmo

Yup.  Score tonight was closer to Crossmen than BAC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

I really liked the Beast.

I love CrownBrass and the whole field presence of the corps. The music book is great but the show design is meh this year. That's not exclusive to Crown though. Most of the show designs this year are bland.

That’s fair. It’s the posters that can’t praise one corps without putting down another that I was talking about. I used to be that fan when I was younger, I won’t lie. But I started enjoying the activity a lot more when I stopped letting preconceived notions I once had about other corps get in the way of me enjoying a show for what it is. 

• Like 9

Congratulations to the Crownies. I’m not a fan of this production like other Crownie shows, but I’m not the person that you have to please. I don’t see how Boston can make up a point in this day and age of DCI judging. Again congratulations on a convincing victory. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, crownisking said:

That’s fair. It’s the posters that can’t praise one corps without putting down another that I was talking about. I used to be that fan when I was younger, I won’t lie. But I started enjoying the activity a lot more when I stopped letting preconceived notions I once had about other corps get in the way of me enjoying a show for what it is. 

yeah, your member name really speaks to your love of ALL corps 🤣

• Haha 1

I really, really like Cadets, and I don't think I've been able to say that more than a couple of times over the past 20 years. Stylistically, they seem like a 90's version of themselves, in the most positive way. They sound like Cadets, they move like Cadets, and the drill is very attractive with good flow and space utilization. And I find the guard, much, much more enjoyable. Their work breathes again and has an openness to it that got completely lost in the 2000s-10s, where they went in a weird direction of spinning everything to death at high velocity. This is so much more musical.

When amplification was first legalized, I expected someone to do an effective show with poetry, and it just never seemed to happen. But here it is at last and it works. I don't care where they finish, it is just nice to enjoy them again.

Boston doesn't grab me. I liked it more than the last time I saw it, but it seems very choppy, going from segment to segment abruptly. Some of the guard's considerable effort seems to get lost because they have a lot of dark reddish flags that aren't particularly vibrant.

Chandelier and the closer of Crown's show are genuinely very exciting. The middle seems to drag quite a bit. The voice stuff and the shouting is just killing me, but that's a personal preference. It takes me completely out of the performance and turns me into one big cringe throughout a lot of it. However, that's the direction they've chosen and there is an excellent corps under it. The guard is fantastic - among their best ever, though I don't think what they are doing with the sabers/streamers is as effective as what BD with those in 2016 - where they really simulated water in the Tempest show.

• Like 5