Saturday, July 9th ... “Tournament of Champions – Northern Illinois” … Huskie Stadium at Northern Illinois University – DeKalb, ILLINOIS

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I really hope you’re not reducing my era of drum corps to playing Sousa marches and marching 8 to 5s. 

Most certainly not. I was intentionally going to the extreme in my example as I believe you can look back at even the earliest years of DCI (and even earlier) to find corps identities in so many facets beyond a uniform. Music and visual style has long been linked to a corps' identity and repertoires have extended miles beyond the roots of the activity dating back longer than most of us were born. The uniform is just tradition.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Us low-brass guys are contractually obligated to actively support Sousa as he knew how to write fun low-brass parts.  

HS -- College -- USN -- Community band: it NEVER gets old. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TenHut said:

COLTS:

Nice drum line, but I have no idea how they beat PR in drums. I found this show extremely boring and uneventful. 

Im not sure if we were watching the same show. I saw the exact opposite, I found it was exciting and flowed extremely well! Definitely respect your opinion, though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Btw, never played a Sousa march in drum corps.  Played plenty of them in concert band though.  Boring. Pah pah pah repeat rinse pah pah pah. 

Terri-shouldn't it be more like rest-pah. rest-pah. rest-pah  etc., etc. ?  I asked a french horn player (when I was in the Army Band-trumpet player) if that had any lasting effect on her. She told me that as we both knew she was married to a tuba player, so they had a great sex life.  Think about it. !!

• Haha 2

Just now, denmum said:

Terri-shouldn't it be more like rest-pah. rest-pah. rest-pah  etc., etc. ?  I asked a french horn player (when I was in the Army Band-trumpet player) if that had any lasting effect on her. She told me that as we both knew she was married to a tuba player, so they had a great sex life.  Think about it. !!

They got rhythm.

I read years ago that playing the horn can cause heart issues.   I don’t know if there is any validity to that.  Dale Clevenger lived a long life, playing horn for most of it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

They got rhythm.

I read years ago that playing the horn can cause heart issues.   I don’t know if there is any validity to that.  Dale Clevenger lived a long life, playing horn for most of it. 

I always thought playing a brass instruement would probably help longevity, but so many of us had other bad habits that now I am not so sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, denmum said:

I always thought playing a brass instruement would probably help longevity, but so many of us had other bad habits that now I am not so sure.

If you play a brass instrument every day for 37,000 days, you will live to be over 100.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2