Saturday, July 9th ... “Tournament of Champions – Northern Illinois” … Huskie Stadium at Northern Illinois University – DeKalb, ILLINOIS

1 minute ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I mean BS almost sweeped second in all captions right?

This is true. I was referring more to the substantial gap between the two than one beating the other. I’ll fix that

30 minutes ago, college-phan said:

See, my issue here is that it was visual proficiency and percussion achievement that put Phantom way behind BS. Fifth in those categories doesn’t match what I heard and saw at all.

What I love about 2022 so far is that despite these score gaps, we’re going to see both of these corps absolutely rip it up Finals night. The Midwest is having a heck of a year this season. Love me some Cavies, Stars, Phantom and Bloo. Absolutely wonderful programs.  

29 minutes ago, Maleguena1988 said:

It was a joke!

Hard to clean with Covid lurking…has a chance to hit everyone this year, and it gets obviously more costly the closer to Indy we get. 

I totally understood it was a joke before I replied.  All I am saying is the Cavalier color guard had the potential to be one of the top guards of the season.  I honestly hope the Cavies are able to overcome their illnesses to in place in the top 6. 

Mrs. TenHut and I were at the DeKalb show tonight and here are my comments:

First off, this was the smallest crowd I can ever remember for a show here. Very disappointing. But the weather was absolutely perfect. This stadium holds a special place in my heart, having marched here numerous times with some great memories at this place. Tonight sure felt like an old DCM show and that's a good thing.

MADISON:

I like the Unis, but this uni screams for the Aussie. I think it may make an appearance before the season ends. There are some nice moments in this show, but the show, drill and music design is meh, in my opinion. Drum line had a rough night tonight, missing a snare and bass drum and lots of dirt. This show and corps aren't making finals. 

COLTS:

Nice drum line, but I have no idea how they beat PR in drums. I found this show extremely boring and uneventful. 

PHANTOM REGIMENT:

This was by far my favorite show of the evening. Great horn book and line, same with the drum line. This show is jam packed with big impact hits and great moments. I had PR in 2nd tonight. I just love the sound of Pearl drums especially the tenors. This show will be a big crowd favorite. It's a bit of a throwback show with melody!

BLUE STARS:

Man, that's just a lot of props on the field. This BS corps is one of their best ever and will make a run at top 6. Solid in all captions. 

BLUE COATS:

These unis, are, um, let's see, very busy and not my cup of tea. The corps is obviously talented, but I'm not sure what to make of this show. It seemed like the horns played loud and non-stop every time they started to play.  When this show ended, a few people around us as well as my Wife and I all said, "I'm not sure what that was. I was good, but I'm not sure if I liked or disliked it". It is a unique show. My biggest problem with this show was the narration. Narration can work, but this show would be better without it. There is a good drum feature early in the show and the narrator speaks over the entire feature, ruining it for me. This show doesn't need this guy constantly talking over the music. I don't think this show medals without major re-writes and re-design. 

CAVIES:

Performed a standstill due to covid. Good musical book, and the horn line was cooking. Drum line and book is great too. 

SUMMARY:

Every drum corps has lost their identity due to changing uniforms every year. This is extremely costly to each corps and I hope that there is a return to branding each corps with their own unique identity. Yea, that's not happening. 

This was the first drum corps show that I have ever attended where not one corps wore headgear. I don't like this trend. The unis look incomplete to me without hats.

These are certainly challenging and unprecedented times with runaway inflation and food, gas and diesel prices.  Hopefully every drum corps can weather the storm and survive.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, college-phan said:

See, my issue here is that it was visual proficiency and percussion achievement that put Phantom way behind BS. Fifth in those categories doesn’t match what I heard and saw at all.

I agree 100%. I had PR ahead of BS. 

1 hour ago, TenHut said:

SUMMARY:

Every drum corps has lost their identity due to changing uniforms every year. This is extremely costly to each corps and I hope that there is a return to branding each corps with their own unique identity. Yea, that's not happening. 

To reduce a corps' identity to what they wear ignores all the much more important elements that make each drum corps unique. These aren't the days of corps playing John Philip Sousa marches while marching nothing but 8-5's where a uniform helps create the identity. I'm pretty sure these corps are branding just fine given their appeal to those that are actually auditioning, so you don't need to worry about this being costly.

"I don't like that I can't recognize the corps performing based on their appearance, and I prefer the military style of uniform." That would make a lot more sense than reducing identity to nothing more than attire.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

To reduce a corps' identity to what they wear ignores all the much more important elements that make each drum corps unique. These aren't the days of corps playing John Philip Sousa marches while marching nothing but 8-5's where a uniform helps create the identity. I'm pretty sure these corps are branding just fine given their appeal to those that are actually auditioning, so you don't need to worry about this being costly.

"I don't like that I can't recognize the corps performing based on their appearance, and I prefer the military style of uniform." That would make a lot more sense than reducing identity to nothing more than attire.

I really hope you’re not reducing my era of drum corps to playing Sousa marches and marching 8 to 5s. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1