Judging Feedback

44 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I've always wanted to hear the finals tapes from Felliniesque. 

I want to hear the tapes from their very first few competitions that year. I can imagine most of them say something along the lines of “holy #### you guys are clean already”

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I want to hear the tapes from their very first few competitions that year. I can imagine most of them say something along the lines of “holy #### you guys are clean already”

I saw Fellini in June out here in California. I think it was their 3rd or 4th show, and I remember thinking the DCI season is officially over, everyone else is battling for second, cause no one on earth is beating that masterpiece.

3 hours ago, dciphan79 said:

I never marched in any corps (not much call for clarinet players) but I’m a long time DCI fan - saw my first show in 1977.  I remember when Drum Corps World was an actual paper that came in the mail. At least one year, maybe two, we also got feedback from the judges on many of the corps - I assume transcriptions of key aspects of their tapes. The names of the judges remained anonymous as I remember. I thought it was really interesting and gave good insight whether you agreed with it or not. Not sure why it was discontinued. 

Is is a completely crazy idea to get some version of that in today ‘s DCI world?  We all debate with great angst the scoring. It seems hearing some of the feedback the various staffs are getting would be most enlightening or at least interesting.

Flame away. 

I mean, it’s POSSIBLE you’d find it enlightening or interesting, but honestly tapes mostly consist of in-the-moment observations for that particular performance. So I’m not sure how interesting it would be to hear anonymous comments of “Watch the timing of the release at the end of that phrase, trumpets” or “Great uniformity of timing in that articulated passage.” GE tapes may be the only tapes with something a little more substantial to hear since that’s often dealing with design.

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

1. I personally have a no flame policy. We all have opinions and comments to offer and share.  

2. Browse through YouTube. I know there are a few audio recordings of various judges from various corps. How many and how recent these are, I couldn't say, but I've come across a few of them. 

3. Welcome to DCP. We're from basically the same drum corps era. 

Thanks - been a reader of DCP for a long while just haven’t posted much. 

31 minutes ago, brassboy said:

I mean, it’s POSSIBLE you’d find it enlightening or interesting, but honestly tapes mostly consist of in-the-moment observations for that particular performance. So I’m not sure how interesting it would be to hear anonymous comments of “Watch the timing of the release at the end of that phrase, trumpets” or “Great uniformity of timing in that articulated passage.” GE tapes may be the only tapes with something a little more substantial to hear since that’s often dealing with design.

Listening to the percussion tape can be quite the revelation.  If you listen to 2010 PR, for instance, you get a better idea of just how good that battery was, because the judge is standing right next to them.

7 minutes ago, jthomas666 said:

Listening to the percussion tape can be quite the revelation.  If you listen to 2010 PR, for instance, you get a better idea of just how good that battery was, because the judge is standing right next to them.

Percussion judges belong on the field 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Percussion judges belong on the field 

Yep -- gotta pick up those runaway snares. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jthomas666 said:

Same with BD 2009 judges percussion tape when they took home the Sanford that year. J.J. Pipitone almost lost his mind on the tape lol. 

Sanford winning Cadets 2013 drum judge tape is a classic as well.

3 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I've actually been thinking of making my own "judge tapes"- me listening/watching a show online and recording my reactions. I think it would be fun, especially as I have no qualifications or DCI experience- I'm just a big fangirl.

If you happen to be from an Oceanic country and can say the phrases "wow, look at that!" and "wow, so cool!" you could make some pretty good money posting those online.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The tapes on YouTube are largely useless. They’re all finals tapes where the judges essentially do nothing but compliment the corps. Those tapes never contain any criticism 

I actually think the OP is talking about the judges critique which is after the show where the staff and judges get to sit and discuss things.

Listening to the actual judges tapes or recordings are definitely interesting but I can’t help but cringe when so many of them step outside their discipline and talk about things they’re  not judging 🤨