Broiling in Texas

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Someone on here said to start the tour in Texas and then move toward the north in the warmer months.  That might work. I don’t know.  We were also in Texas and Oklahoma in mid July, BITD. Do they still have the show at Lake Highlands?  

It’s one of the only logical approaches, but it would also reduce the number of corps that go there. There’s no way they’d want to eliminate the west coast shows entirely, but financially it’s not feasible for west coast corps to travel all the way to TX, then back to CA, then out to the Midwest/East. Texas just needs to turn all of its stadiums into indoor facilities. 

Edited by brassboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, brassboy said:

It’s one of the only logical approaches, but it would also reduce the number of corps that go there. There’s no way they’d want to eliminate the west coast shows entirely, but financially it’s not feasible for west coast corps to travel all the way to TX, then back to CA, then out to the Midwest/East. Texas just needs to turn all of its stadiums into indoor facilities. 

Most of the time, the temps in May are pretty decent. But there are higher chances of storms. Some pretty hellacious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

You have a sharp memory.  I don’t remember that at all. 

I only remember cause I stationed in Japan at that time, and I was going TAD (Temporary Assigned Duty) to Singapore. I was leaving for airport, frantically waiting on the scores from the first Texas show only to find out they wouldn't be released until after the second show had concluded the following night. I was furious all the way to Singapore LMAO. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, brassboy said:

The stadium is only part of the equation.  Corps still have to rehearse in the heat unless they can find indoor space for that too.

• Like 1

The current DCI uniform trend of all-white, will probably change to “all-silver” in an effort to combat the heat of the Texas tour. 

Unfortunately, it will be mean members can no longer play their instruments due to the limitations of the heat-resistant head guard.  

Narration will soon be joined by pre-recorded music. 

man.jpg 

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Continental said:

The current DCI uniform trend of all-white, will probably change to “all-silver” in an effort to combat the heat of the Texas tour. 

Unfortunately, it will be mean members can no longer play their instruments due to the limitations of the heat-resistant head guard.  

Narration will soon be joined by pre-recorded music. 

man.jpg 

I bet you the Mandarins have a recording of their singer just in case he's can't perform.

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Someone on here said to start the tour in Texas and then move toward the north in the warmer months.  That might work. I don’t know.  We were also in Texas and Oklahoma in mid July, BITD. Do they still have the show at Lake Highlands?  

They’ve covered the Dallas area with shows in Mesquite and McKinney this year, both in those school districts’ LARGE HS stadiums

2 hours ago, year1buick said:

Most of the time, the temps in May are pretty decent. But there are higher chances of storms. Some pretty hellacious.

April, May are potentially stormy times haha, my complaints aren’t even the hot summers for me but I absolutely hate when these over 90 degree temps have stuck around later into September and into the fall, I just want some nice 70 degree days that’s all I want lol 

This might be an important point over the next 6 days:

In addition to weather considerations, event staff members are also navigating local sound ordinances and the unique safety requirements facing each participating ensemble relative to their respective compliance with USDOT driver hour requirements

These two issues may cause some corps not to be able to perform in BA, Denton, Round Rock, Houston, etc.