Your Callout Stories

2 hours ago, ironlips said:

So, imagine being a performer on the field, seconds before the downbeat at a major show. You are controlling your respiration, clearing your mind of distraction and in general gathering your focus for the best possible run.

At some level you are acclimating to the lights and the general ambience of the stadium, placing these things in the periphery as you turn your attention to the conductor on the podium. Things seem to go quiet as the drum major's hands rise...

Suddenly, your aunt Harriet, in a voice that can shatter glass, screams "Kick butt, Mary Lou!" at he very top of her lungs.

Just what the doctor ordered, no?

the only thing that can make this funnier than it already is, is if she was the soloist

I accidentally got too excited and too into the show in 2017 that I yelled out "I KNOW YOU" during Crowns closer when she yelled it during the show...oops.

• Haha 1

Back in 2016, when Crown did their Relentless show, my friends and I shouted out, in front of he Crown staff in the staff pen,  “We love you, Hellen Hess!” The Crown staff cracked up. 

• Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, Super Don-O said:

I'm on board with shout-outs while the corps is entering or leaving the field, but doing it during the performance is contemptible. The kids work so hard to put as perfect a production on the field as they can, and it does not include your voice ruining that moment. How big does your ego need to be to think you ought to supercede the performance they've spent hundreds of hours honing. Obviously spontaneous cheering and reactions are not included in this criticism, just stuff like "Go <insert name>" during a quiet moment.

[end rant]

I remember in 1974, right before Santa Clara began “Send in the Clowns,” someone yelled “California Sucks!” So guess who won? 

38 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I remember in 1974, right before Santa Clara began “Send in the Clowns,” someone yelled “California Sucks!” So guess who won? 

In 1972 at DCI Finals, right before concert (Ritual Fire Dance), a couple idiots yelled "V.K. All The Way"!  You can hear it in the recording to this day. 

Never liked them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Super Don-O said:

I'm on board with shout-outs while the corps is entering or leaving the field, but doing it during the performance is contemptible. The kids work so hard to put as perfect a production on the field as they can, and it does not include your voice ruining that moment. How big does your ego need to be to think you ought to supercede the performance they've spent hundreds of hours honing. Obviously spontaneous cheering and reactions are not included in this criticism, just stuff like "Go <insert name>" during a quiet moment.

[end rant]

Couldn’t have said it better 

• Like 2

As we were leaving a few minutes after scores were announced last night, we passed by Dan Acheson as he was talking to someone on his way out. I looked to my friends, motioned towards him, and in my deepest southern accent said, "That's the man right there." The Oh-God-No look on his face as he hurried away proved well worth it.