Saturday, July 23 ... “DCI Southwestern Championship” … Alamodome … SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS Saturday, July 23… 1:30 PM CT

Just now, MikeRapp said:

I don’t know how you judge music analysis, but it’s killing Bluecoats.

I think when you see the top 5 in person, Crusaders, Vanguard, Crown, and BD all hit different compared to Bloo. I think they’re appropriately rated. I’d put Vanguard ahead of them in brass also, without question.

• Like 4

The Sanford is not settled either BAC almost pipped that.  Although this judge seems to have them maxing out their book.  I'm not sure I buy that.  

• Like 2

Thanks to all the corps for a wonderful night of drum corps - such a treat after 2 years without this! Congratulations to all on great performances - all of you really brought it tonight! Well done BD, and congrats to BAC on a big step up. Crown, Bloo, and SCV have great shows as well and I can’t wait to see everyone in Indy.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Looking at the recap its BAC's Guard and Percussion carrying the day v. Crown.  Everywhere else it's Crown between those two.  

This is FAR from over. 

I completely agree with you that it's far from over, but are we looking at the same recap? Boston on top with five judges, Crown on top with six judges. Not just two.

Just now, craiga said:

Well another great step in the right direction for Boston.   A lot could still change in the next three weeks, of course....but when I predicted last month that it could be Blue Devils and Boston 1 & 2 this summer, some here in the dcp braintrust absolutely eviscerated me.  Well, now we can agree that it is at least possible....

I was hopeful for y’all, and the production has steadily been climbing up the standings, even when all the corps have gathered together now, that is simply a good sign!

9 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

They are right in the mix with crown/Boston. Bluecoats could stay 4th or get bronze. Slim chance they will fall to 5th.

The top 5 are all great...and honestly Jagged line is one of my favorite Bluecoats shows. It got 5th and the Bluecoats were fine after that.

Jagged line is my second favorite show. groovy and introduced my to TYS, my favorite band as of now. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Yeah and the funny part is the people in attendance sounded like they didn’t agree.. 

Big shock judges and crowd don’t agree

Oh not at all. Front/center crowd cheered hard when they figured out BAC took (at least) 2nd.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I don’t know how you judge music analysis, but it’s killing Bluecoats. 

One thing I truly believe is you gotta have a ballad, and you gotta have a closer. Bluecoats has neither and it’s gonna cost them a medal.

They have the opposite of the Blue Stars.  They do great in MA and now getting destroyed in the others.  I disagree with their brass placement and will completely accept the perc one

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, craiga said:

Well another great step in the right direction for Boston.   A lot could still change in the next three weeks, of course....but when I predicted last month that it could be Blue Devils and Boston 1 & 2 this summer, some here in the dcp braintrust absolutely eviscerated me.  Well, now we can agree that it is at least possible....

craiga, did you forget this is Drum Corps Planet? Please don't use big words like eviscerated. Thanks so much! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Yep. I kind of saw that coming after Boston finished tonight. That show is STUNNING! But still, plenty of time for Crown, Bloo, and SCV to keep pushing everyone. 

Top 5 is just ridiculous! Maybe it was the 2-year Covid break from competition, but good gosh this top 5 feels special. 

And Blue Devils...what a show! I love it top to bottom. I can't take my eyes of it. Not for a second. 

My overall favorites from tonight were...EVERYONE! Ok, that's a bit much. I think right now my favs are:

1. Phantom - always goosebumps
  2. Bluecoats - show is coming alive but needs cleaned
  3. Boston and Blue Devils - perhaps the two corps that grab my attention and never let it go more than anyone else. I just like Bloo's music better (by a pinch) but Bloo needs to clean. 
  4. Cadets - nice run tonight. Brass and percussion were fantastic.
  5. Carolina Crown - They have a few BIG wow moments and just need to refine some visual clutter. 
  6. Blue Stars
  7. SCV
  8. Troopers
  9. Mandarins

And then pretty much everyone else equally. I though Madison was really solid tonight. 

Noticed you “can’t take your eyes of of BD.”  A little BAC subliminal is noted.  LOL

• Like 4