Saturday, July 23 ... “DCI Southwestern Championship” … Alamodome … SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS Saturday, July 23… 1:30 PM CT

6 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Just to be clear, I didn’t bring up the G7 because of the issues around its de facto architect. Pretty much everyone here knows how I feel about him. I don’t want us to spend another post giving him head space here. Please let’s move on.

I did bring it up because Boston was one of the so-called have nots. And they were pretty openly ###### about it and even not so subtly included it in their show that year.

At the time I was new to this site and I was just so shocked that there were people in the leadership of the activity who thought they only needed seven world class corps and everyone should pound sand in open class. And the main reason this seemed absolutely insane to me is because Carolina Crown had only recently clawed it’s way into medalist contention. I could not believe that a wholly educational activity would think it was even appropriate to imagine a scenario where literally no future corps would ever have the realistic chance of become a super-corps!

Boston’s leadership responded by (among other things) raising a lot of money and hiring away a whole lot of world class Corps instructors—obviously many from Crown. 

And now here we are! It’s so sweet justice. And though I am bummed that they are battling Bloo for a medal, I am so so excited for the future of DCI. 

You could also say the same of Bloo recently clawing their way into contention at that time haha, it’s so weird that a power grab like that could’ve altered the activity to such an extent before I even came of hearing of it, I’m definitely glad it’s more like it is now, and also with Boston appropriately flexing their might and fight as they should’ve! 

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I was wondering that too when I heard them being announced as such yesterday, did they make a move up here?

Right on their own website right under their name it also says “Dallas|Fort Worth” so I guess so haha

When I heard the announcer say Guardians were from "Dallas/Fort Worth" ... then saw it on the Flomarching screen ... it caught me off guard.  I used the location posted on the DCI website.  In fact the DCI Central Illinois competition, to be held Saturday, July 30th, still lists Guardians as coming from "Houston, TX".  ... oh well ...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

You could also say the same of Bloo recently clawing their way into contention at that time haha, it’s so weird that a power like that could’ve altered the activity to such an extent before I even came of hearing of it, I’m definitely glad it’s more like it is now, and also with Boston appropriately flexing their might and fight as they should’ve! 

As a thought experiment, we could possibly draw inverse conclusions about G7 corps placing lower this year. Just my fancy way of saying it's interesting to watch them get shoved around a bit.

• Like 1

I'm watching the rebroadcast on Flo. 

I really liked Genesis. They had an easier show than the corps prior to them but they looked and sounded better than those who went prior, including Academy. 

Makes you wonder just how much show difficulty has an effect on score vs performance. Pity that they scored so low.

Also, is Flo going to broadcast the intermissions? I feel like they could just skip them. Maybe 5 min restroom break. No reason to have 100 minutes of intermission when I'm lying on my couch.

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I used to live in Texas and a neighbor was from Fort Worth; he said it is pronounced Foat Wuth. 

What's the difference between Fort Worth and Foat Wuth?  LOL I'm from Kentucky and I have meet very few people born and raised outside of Kentucky who can correctly pronounce Louisville.

Edited by Mikah
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

You could also say the same of Bloo recently clawing their way into contention at that time haha, it’s so weird that a power grab like that could’ve altered the activity to such an extent before I even came of hearing of it, I’m definitely glad it’s more like it is now, and also with Boston appropriately flexing their might and fight as they should’ve! 

You could say that about Blue Devils, and every other corps in DCI. That was the audacity of it.

There were points to be made and changes did happen. There were some world class corps that were really anything but world class corps. It wasn’t fair that they were getting nearly equal cuts of the gate as the big draws.

But, to create a system that made it financially impossible to ever compete with what was then the biggest and most successful corps was shocking and rightfully insulting. And it still is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Like the tunnel in (I think) 85?

I have heard that it wasn’t fun for the members, but the effect was cool. 

Yes, 85. 04 was modeled after it... and that costume change was not fun either... for any of us. Can only imagine what a whole corps change does to a person.... 🤐

Interesting... I wasn't seeing another full corps costume change, but I like this theory. I have yet to determine whether SC will be forever "finding" this season or if they "will have found." By the end. This alumni is rooting for the latter and another big GE push that they aren't revealing yet.

• Like 1