AFTER GUILTY PLEAS IN 2020, FORMER CORPS DIRECTOR ATTENDS HIS FIRST DCI EVENTS

8 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

They have the same effect for his sentencing for the criminal case.  The only difference is the "no contest" plea can't be used against him in any civil proceedings that would follow.  Since there's no discussion of any civil suits in this conversation a "no contest" is essentially the same as a "guilty" in the criminal suit as a plea.  

Speaking of civil lawsuits, what happened with his suing Cadets?

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

True.  But as life goes, he is a liability to her and that is their problem.  Consequences are deeper and uglier than pleas of no contest and criminal/civil penalties.

Yes, consequences in his life extend beyond repercussions for him if his inner circle is still involved in the activity, said another way.

And, let's be clear, consequences of his actions run deepest for the survivors of his abuse. (Not implying you didn't mean this too, just driving the point home.)

It's for her to discover that he can't help her interests in drumcorps and his presence can only cause increasing harm.  It is his problem that the best way for him to see the fruits of her labor is via video recording.  If she's mad about that... she can pound sand, as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly. Same goes for the rest of his inner circle still involved in the activity.

Conversely, it's for the rest in the activity (administration, parents, members, fans) to make all of this clear to both parties... and that's why we are talking about it, suppressing the nausea as we go.

Since DCI and drum corps staffs aren't moving/can't move fast enough on these issues, it's up to the MMs, fans and community to make it clear that he is not welcome.

He's not welcome because his presence should not be valued more than survivors and vulnerable people in the activity.

Survivors should never be put in a position in which they may face a known predator. If DCI were survivor-focused, they would know this. I get that there are legalities involved with banning and individual, but it's not difficult to take a strong stance on this and commit to working out the logistics quickly... especially to honor the safety of past, current and future survivors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@scheherezadesghost, I have read your writing about what you went through, and everything wrong with SCV 2004. I just want to tell you that watching the 2004 quarterfinals performance in Denver, with my late mother who flew out to see me, is one of my favorite memories of 3 seasons of drum corps, and one of my favorite memories of her.

• Thanks 5

34 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There are rumors about at least two current DCI HoF members.  But no survivors nor witnesses with first hand knowledge have come forward.  So, the rumors remain. 

And if we don't talk about it, survivors will never muster the courage to step forward.

It's scary to be a survivor and whistleblower in this activity. Commenting on this thread makes me nervous about doxxing big time, especially since I've connected my name and reputation to this account and my open letter.

If anything, I hope being this vulnerable within DCP will grant me an added layer of protection. Also, to be clear, I have a cadre of strong people around me, including JONZ and specifically cymbal players who will protect me til my last breath. I'd do the same for them.

I was bullied here on DCP when I first dropped by and shared a little about my abuse. Some folks even started bringing in legal-ease to the discussion when I had already been clear that legal action is not and never will be my driver.

I've been also shadowbanned on reddit for sharing my story.

SC themselves managed to keep the door open for discussion with me. I think I know why fans and the community are still struggling to do so: because we're afraid that these stories will damage the activity. Hate to break it to those folks: it's not the survivors doing the damage, it was the predators and their enablers. The survivors are stepping forward because we know we're key in making things better. And fans, you can't have both groups at the table. One has to give. If this community chooses bad actors over people like me as some have been for years, then I'll leave this activity in my dust for good. I have bigger fish to fry in my local community.

I use VPNs. I use encrypted email. Survivors need to protect themselves. If online communities also present themselves as siloed, silencing, or bullying, then survivors will never come forward. That's why MAASIN exists... because all other mechanisms have failed us miserably.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

@scheherezadesghost, I have read your writing about what you went through, and everything wrong with SCV 2004. I just want to tell you that watching the 2004 quarterfinals performance in Denver, with my late mother who flew out to see me, is one of my favorite memories of 3 seasons of drum corps, and one of my favorite memories of her.

Thanks FTNK. 💚💖 You both got to see the first reveal of the magic trick. That was my favorite moment of the season. Possibly of my entire time with SCV. What serendipity that we could enjoy that moment in space and time together!!!

Once we finished that show, the visual staff pestered me publicly for getting it right, saying they never thought I could actually do it.

These two kinds of contrasting outcomes of the 04 show can and should absolutely continue to coexist in our memories.

When my friend, a cymbal player (not Omar, who I mention in my letter) looks back on that season, he remembers thinking to himself how hard the sabre line had it. When a cymbal player says that, you know it means something. When I look back on old footage, I can't help reflect on the fact that I was severely underweight and emotionally drained.

All of the perpetrators of my harm are now either leaders in the activity or are very active participants for top 10 corps.

That said, I hope my passion and love for the Santa Clara Vanguard Drum & Bugle corps is clear in my many posts on DCP. Again, my history of abuse can and must co-exist with the lasting positive outcomes of the activity for thousands of participants.

The drum corps experience is not a monolith and never has been.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
fixed a typo
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Ok, so the initial question is how is he able to attend a DCI show? 

• For starters it is simple: he is a free man under constitutional law. He may be on some sort of probation, I am not sure, and if he is I am not sure what those terms are.
  • I get the sentiment of wanting to erase everything about this person, but the law does not work that way. Many on here are very emotional about this person and what he did, and you should be. I am too. And look at the damage it did. But the legal system is clear. He is a free man. He can live his life. He has a right to work and feed himself. He has a right to see shows, go to restaurants, see movies, go hiking, post on websites or social media, etc. And if you infringe on his rights you will be the one going to jail. You don't have to like it, but that's the law. 
  • This seems unfair but the legal system tried to get him. They did their best. In the end most of the cases were so old it amounted to "he said vs she said" kind of stuff and so they had to focus on the most recent accusations. The world is not perfect. 
  • If DCI wishes to ban him they can certainly try. They may get a law suit thrown back at them unless there is some sort of court order that GH can no longer be around kids, or at least kids in the activity. But without such a court order good luck.
  • DCI would first have to hire lawyers to apply for such a restriction, argue their point, and hope they get a restraining order that would allow them to ban him. It might be difficult. With his daughter teaching he, as the father, has a right to see his kid. 

We do not have to like any of this, but the law is clear. His trial is over. I am not sure what other conditions he may be under in terms of parole, if he has any, but I will leave that up to the law. 

The best thing for DCI, fans of DCI, and the members marching DCI is for us to move on and build a better activity. Stop focusing on this guy. Will we remember? Absolutely. Should we keep dwelling on it every time he pokes his face into a show or makes comments on social media? Heck NO! Who gives a flying squirrel what this guy does!!! 

THIS! I completely agree. I will add on top of this, how does one stop him from attending events. Nobody working at the Alamodome knows who GH is. Should they post his picture outside all stadiums, and have people scream if they see him? If someone buys a ticket and gives it to him, there is not digital trace of him having a ticket. 

It's easy to say hey shouldn't be attending shows. The logistics of keeping out of shows are much more complicated.

Z

• Like 1