Hard to swallow

41 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I bet the kids love you!  When Jim volunteered, they all signed a bass drum head head thanking him.  And I made them cookies and brownies for the next time I saw them.  We became very good friends with those kids to this day. 

That’s what it’s all that it’s about Terri. You give love, you get it in return…one thousand fold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Wait.... you marched in Cavies 1980?!? Holy smokes! You were apart of the famous step-over!!!!

Yes! Even crazier, I was only 15 at the time. 

• Like 5

I live in a military community and most of my social life is with retired Special Ops people.  They are always complaining about how lazy gen Z is and how they have no motivation.  I challenge them to come to a DCI practice and see these kids working their butts off. They are the nicest and most polite kids you see anywhere. That is why I spend a great deal of my summer volunteering with Drum Corps.   Whatever ills may effect the younger generation the kids in DCI are a positive beam of light for the future.  I think some of the music choices intended to appeal to the younger crowd are not neccessarily good for the art form ,  I prefer more traditional shows.  But I don't think anyone here attacks the kids, most of the scorn here is for designers who don't know the corps capabilities and design shows above or below what the kids are capable of.    Or corps admin who don't put taking care of teh kids first.  

I have issues with some judging,   but I would help the corps just as much if they were in 19th place as i I would if they were a contender for the top spot.  I would like to see better scores for "my" Corps,  but that is not why I help and again whatever the score we are still going to help the kids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

I live in a military community and most of my social life is with retired Special Ops people.  They are always complaining about how lazy gen Z is and how they have no motivation.  I challenge them to come to a DCI practice and see these kids working their butts off. They are the nicest and most polite kids you see anywhere. That is why I spend a great deal of my summer volunteering with Drum Corps.   Whatever ills may effect the younger generation the kids in DCI are a positive beam of light for the future.  I think some of the music choices intended to appeal to the younger crowd are not neccessarily good for the art form ,  I prefer more traditional shows.  But I don't think anyone here attacks the kids, most of the scorn here is for designers who don't know the corps capabilities and design shows above or below what the kids are capable of.    Or corps admin who don't put taking care of teh kids first.  

I have issues with some judging,   but I would help the corps just as much if they were in 19th place as i I would if they were a contender for the top spot.  I would like to see better scores for "my" Corps,  but that is not why I help and again whatever the score we are still going to help the kids.

Yep.

"Judges judge cleanliness, NOT enjoyment"

Adjudicators are tasked to judge the "what" and the "how" of whatever is presented to them, assigning a rank and rate reflecting the relative success of each unit.

The job, ideally, is to make a decision as to who is best, next best...etc. and by how much.

Sometimes, however, it can seem more like deciding who is least worst.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

THIS. Is what the drum corps community needs to hear

Also, young DCI fans exist and they should be treated with the same respect. I see so much age discrimination in this community towards younger fans, and then all the elders cry "ageist!" just because DCI has age limits. You may have marched in the 70s or 80s, but you need to still need to grow up.

i'm 53. i do barely remember the stating and exit line. concert formation, color pres. adding the second valve. the first grounded percussion. dance. Bayonne in 76! the end of the tic system. running! Scatter drill. 3rd valve. grounded percussion growing to be 20-25 yards wide. Bb. Amps. Costuming replacing uniforms. props that need their own trucks. Amps. Synths. any kind of brass. 

in all of those changes...and some i am sure i forgot...i liked some. I didn't like some. i really didnt like amplification at first. i got over it. and no amount of #####ing online changed anything drum corps did to reverse it. the closest was publicizing i got recaps all over social media the year DCI hid them and tried to chuck the judges under the bus for the rationale. 

at some point will it get to where i dislike way more than i like? Maybe. but i won't go on and on and on and on online about it...cause it won;t change anything

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Like many competitive activities,  the competiveness of a group often comes down to the resources they have. DCI is an unequal playing field where the rich get richer or stay close to the top. Simply put, if the corps has money,  they should be competitive.  If not, you're struggling just to keep the organization on the road.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I bet the kids love you!  When Jim volunteered, they all signed a bass drum head head thanking him.  And I made them cookies and brownies for the next time I saw them.  We became very good friends with those kids to this day. 

Do you happen to have a peanut butter brownie recipe?  Trying to get my wife to bake some... 👏👏👏👏