What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023

What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023  

101 members have voted

1. 1. With the 2022 season nearing completion, what is the most pressing issue DCI should be concerned with in the off season? There are probably multiple right answers, which one do you feel is the highest priority? Choose one.

• Leadership - time for a change at the top and possible org restructure
    • Competition - re-examine the competition model to help less funded corps be more competitive and promote more fan friendly shows
    • Safety and inclusion - working to ensure performer safety, diversity and inclusion is top priority
    • New touring model - development of a new touring model to help ease costs and promote more regional opportunities
    • Financial stability - cost cutting measures to ensure financial stability and a level playing field competitively

13 minutes ago, ediblewaffles said:

It's a discussion on comfort, not conditioning

Thank you.

The MMs are the most precious resource in the activity. Ergo, their bodies should be safeguarded IN EVERY WAY. Top priority. Period.

I hope it's understandable why I don't see it as coddling, but even if i did, WTF wouldn't we coddle them? They're the lamborghinis, the prize horses, the top of the line. They should be treated as such. Once MMs fully realize the power they have in this regard, they'll be calling the shots anyway and I just don't know how many would actually choose to roll down to Texas. Or if they do, they have policies for heat mitigation and big payoff.

I'm the first to argue that Texas crowds are a huge payoff. San Antonio is a make-or-break show. It can define a corps' season. Listen, I'm all for it.

But more than being a precious resource, the MMs humans who, again, don't gain anything from extreme heat. It doesn't add to the experience. Anyone who's saying it's because Texas families want it or it makes money, well, then, their priorities are showing.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
typo
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Tours move too fast to acclimate this quickly to new climates. Getting out of the heat debate for a moment, that's like saying MMs get acclimated to the Rockies with any real time for it to matter. It doesn't, once they're acclimated, it's on to the next thing.

At what temperature are you willing to say no? I mean, once sneakers are melting and I'm seeing heat rays, I'm done... probably long before that. Because again, conditioning for extreme heat is not necessary for the betterment of these shows in any way, shape, or form. It's just something we all did so we think it's okay. It's not a crucial part of the experience to march at 110 outside. It's just not.

Maybe I’m biased after marching in Orlando and having years experience of endurance training on 90+ heat.  It’s totally doable….

pain is temporary but pride is forever as it goes.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sideways said:

Maybe I’m biased after marching in Orlando and having years experience of endurance training on 90+ heat.  It’s totally doable….

Not everyone's pain is temporary, especially when it's preventable and the power dynamics between staff and MMs are imbalanced... as they have been for almost the entirety of drum corps history.

Again, we're not talking what's doable. I raged in 115+ and loved it, but my fellow MMs were melting. It wasn't productive.

It's about what's necessary and supportive for the overall growth of young people whose bodies aren't finished growing yet.

33 minutes ago, ediblewaffles said:

Every Texas high school student (formerly me) is obviously conditioned for the weather, but that doesn't mean its not uncomfortable. Members who don't live in the south aren't as well equipped to stay comfortable in the weather. It's a discussion on comfort, not conditioning

If it’s comfort we want then let’s talk about giving up gym floors and staying only in locations were the members have access to nice air conditioned hotel rooms.

5 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Not everyone's pain is temporary, especially when it's preventable and the power dynamics between staff and MMs are imbalanced... as they have been for almost the entirety of drum corps history.

Again, we're not talking what's doable. I raged in 115+ and loved it, but my fellow MMs were melting. It wasn't productive.

It's about what's necessary and supportive for the overall growth of young people whose bodies aren't finished growing yet.

It’s a rehearsal/practice environment…there’s an imbalanced power dynamic by definition.

16 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Corps are more and more aware of the need to have a “rest-and-recover” period in giving their members reprieve for the enduring heat. For what it’s worth there are weather phenomenon that contributed to extreme heat this not just here in Texas but in many locations along the plains and the southwest, it got quite a lot hotter further north and further west than our good ol’ lone star state The travel demands of each corps vary dramatically, not just in total miles but the daily changes in transportation are on the level of MLB or NBA athletes, and with the transport method of bussing being the main method of transport, it takes so much out of the members as it does athletes in professional sports, but at least they have the luxury of flying! Physical demand and toll takes many forms in sport, stretching is vital in removing the stiffness corps members have from all that travel and avoid injury, while rest and hydration is important in dealing with heat. Mitigating exposure whenever possible, is also something corps are doing to help corps members not over-exert themselves. With your personal experiences in mind, it is important to keep pushing towards member safety, I know you would like those efforts to be more publicized. I do believe that corps are doing better in treating the MM’s like the franchise players that they are in protecting their health at all times.

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

Yes, the Texas tour generates a lot of income for the corps. I would bookend that week long tour with an all-corps regional in the Dallas Cowboys beautiful new domed stadium, along with the San Antonio regional--both Saturday shows. I imagine the attendance for both those air-conditioned shows would be around 18,000. 

until you see what Jerry World costs to use

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sideways said:

i marched in Orlando too. in fact the heat made me puke all over the warm up area.

fast forward to 2 weeks ago, the heat made me puke in the Magic Kingdom. so i lived every 5 year olds dream that day....i puked in TomorrowLand!!

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i marched in Orlando too. in fact the heat made me puke all over the warm up area.

fast forward to 2 weeks ago, the heat made me puke in the Magic Kingdom. so i lived every 5 year olds dream that day....i puked in TomorrowLand!!

Texas hot is NOTHING compared to Florida hot.