What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023

What is the most pressing issue in DCI for 2023  

101 members have voted

1. 1. With the 2022 season nearing completion, what is the most pressing issue DCI should be concerned with in the off season? There are probably multiple right answers, which one do you feel is the highest priority? Choose one.

• Leadership - time for a change at the top and possible org restructure
    • Competition - re-examine the competition model to help less funded corps be more competitive and promote more fan friendly shows
    • Safety and inclusion - working to ensure performer safety, diversity and inclusion is top priority
    • New touring model - development of a new touring model to help ease costs and promote more regional opportunities
    • Financial stability - cost cutting measures to ensure financial stability and a level playing field competitively

A month of everdays in Orlando was far worse than Texas.  Ironman Louisville in August was far worse than any drum corps in Orlando or Texas….these kids are well trained and will be fine.

38 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Corps that don't direct their tours through repeated, seasonally-extreme weather, or that continue to find ways to mitigate it will see a competitive advantage.

Said another way, push the MMs  unnecessarily and you'll see it in the show and scores. Simple.

The money is part of it here too though.  Mitigation and rerouting have financial impacts whether it be securing indoor practice space at a cost probably higher than outdoor venues (I dunno if this is so, but I suspect renting out an airplane hangar that has HVAC costs more than a HS football field in the blazing sun) or rerouting out to shows that may end up being smaller draws as the 'big dogs' go where the others cannot afford to mitigate the climate.  Smaller show = lesser gate take = lesser revenue. (I'm assuming).  

That's where leadership is needed in DCI to push more financial equity between the corps or it will just financially whittle down to a G7 for the most part anyway in practice. 

So yeah.  This has been an interesting thread because pretty much all of these things are interlocked in a lot of ways and moving on one means needing to move on areas of the other.  Which is often the case in organizational transformation actually.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

110+ will kill eventually, but 95-98 with 60-80%+ humidity, high dew point, all of that, sounds so unbearable😰😰😰

^^^^this all the way

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Texas hot is NOTHING compared to Florida hot.

both suck, i was in Texas in 91 and other times over the years during the summer. Texas doesn't have the oppressive humidity Florida has. Texas just has the feeling of being on a charcoal grill the second you're outside. it's the opposite of Hank Hills pitch for propane...you taste the heat, not the meat!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The bugs in Florida..I mean are HUGE....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

The bugs in Florida..I mean are HUGE....

Florida bugs v Whitewater bugs....go!

• Haha 1

The only thing that is possible at this time is safety and inclusion.  Until such time as the board and the activity chooses to use or modify the existing governance system, none of the other choices will be meaningfully discussed by the voting membership.  As has been pointed out many times over the years, Dan answers to the board and serves at the leisure of the board and this is written into the bylaws.  Lets say he announces his retirement at finals, do you think the next person to be hired would have anything more to say than Dan has?  Not unless the bylaws are changed.

When I asked, I was told that at the winter meetings before last season, the top 6 (as I was told) wanted last season to be a competitive season.  All things considered, the other 14 stood up to them and finally said, no.  When some didn't get their way, they chose to not field show last summer.  Until the other 14 continue to stand up, none of the other choices in the poll will likely happen.

And, to quote 2muchcoffeeman from the recent Controversial Opinions thread , "finals culture is bad..."  

As currently structured, there is no reason to believe that the voting membership at the "have not" level will continue to stand up; or that the 'haves" will consider change in the governance structure, and a significant change to the existing bylaws.

I hope that I am wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1