Friday, July 29th “The Masters of Summer Music Games” … Johnny “Red” Floyd Stadium Middle Tennessee State University Murfreesboro, TENNESSEE

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If "the formula is no formula", is that still a formula? 

Innovation iterates on what has been done to discover new ways to do things. That’s what Bluecoats is about. 

Every corps is the product of its leadership. Creative people have a view. They see things a certain way. They solve problems in the same ways. It’s human nature.

I can tell which of the shows are arranged by which creator, because it’s the nature of the scenario. But, that’s not the same as systematically and purposefully repeating things just because it worked before.

There are so many aspects of BD that I admire as a designer. They hold to and perfectly teach adherence to a creative vision—frankly most of DCI could learn a lot from them in this area. This is the most successful org in DCI for a reason.

But, I also don’t get much out of their shows after the first few views. There are exceptions, for sure. Some of the most beautiful and emotional shows in history were created by BD.

But BD innovates mostly by sticking to their well tried and successful formula. It is what is is and it will usually result in medals.

Edited by MikeRapp

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e473z9bsbsqotxh4qzo2q

SC has not been clean and and has had so many holes all ding dang season. I haven't seen a truly full corps yet. JONZ has kept their cool this whole time and has been winning, wait til they unleash. The hornline sounds delicious and is still getting a grip on the choreo, wait til they unleash. The guard has not been full, from what I can tell, all season either. They're currently understated and I'm eager to see them clean up and really blast their performances as well.

You haven't seen SC 22 yet. I promise.

All the other corps have been full out with design and performance all season. Not my house. They've been biding their time.

Also, SC by nature is a slow burn/late bloomer.

Sleep on 'em at your own risk.

Not sure how you managed to do that but I did not say anything that you showed in the quoted text 

• Haha 3

Watching the re broadcast 
Cavies are looking strong now.  I'm digging the power of the corps.
Go Cavies 

• Like 1

Just catching up from last night’s show. Blue Stars guard isn’t just getting cleaner but they are one of the most musical guards. Every note of the music is clearly interpreted somewhere in the guard book. Great job!  I wonder how high they will place in guard IF they can get clean? 

Edited by DCI-86

You mean Flo can’t edit the rain delays out of the rebroadcast??

1 minute ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I’m watching the same. While I have enjoyed the Mandarins show this year, I don’t understand how they are still scoring with Cavaliers or better. 

Ugh.  I'm a huge fan of what the Madies are doing. And their guard is stellar 
Also the Blue Stars are crazy good!!  This block of corps with the amazing Cavaliers, just a friken treat this season.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cop said:

Ugh.  I'm a huge fan of what the Madies are doing. And their guard is stellar 
Also the Blue Stars are crazy good!!  This block of corps with the amazing Cavaliers, just a friken treat this season.  

I am too. I just don’t see scores, particularly brass scores, reflecting the difficulty of their book vs. other offerings. Nor their execution in brass of their own book. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Consensus is that Vanguards costumes are so unbecoming for an organization once known as the Rolls Royce of the activity. 

Another flub was to costume the guard in "Invisible purple".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1